Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29

Author Topic: My C++ Projects - Tower of Azari v0.31 - "I'm not dead yet."  (Read 51354 times)

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Caretaker v1.3, Sudoku Solver v1.0, Tower of Azari v0.1 +more!
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2009, 11:17:20 pm »

Ok, I got it to work. I moved the exe to the main folder and it ran well, except for a bug where the game tries to divide to zero and quits.
Good work so far with curses. Making roguelikes always confuses me. The furthest I ever got was a half-hearted two-room attempt.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2009, 11:39:26 pm »

Do you want to make random dungeons?
I can write up some pseudo code for you.

You just need a few randomly placed boxes, and nodes added randomly to their perimeter,
then connecting hallways.

Also, I received the same error mentioned a few posts above, shortly after starting.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2009, 06:09:35 am »

and you can always check this wonderful site for articles...
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Articles#Programming_languages

anyway... I'm looking at your code right now.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2009, 07:04:23 am »

Funny, it reminds me of one of my attempts at writing a roguelike.

It's in C, though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Eh?
Eh!

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2009, 10:37:37 am »

Do you want to make random dungeons?
I can write up some pseudo code for you.

You just need a few randomly placed boxes, and nodes added randomly to their perimeter,
then connecting hallways.

Also, I received the same error mentioned a few posts above, shortly after starting.

Not neccessarily in the next version, but very soon.  My original plan was to use BSP generation, but I'd be more than happy to see a few different ideas!  No matter how I generate the world, what does everyone think about dungeon morphing?  Would it be worth the trouble to implement?

Thanks to Alexhans, I've made substantial progress on the next version.  As soon as I can figure out a bug related to saving and loading the map, fix my get_distance function and set up the monster's AP it should be ready.  Still hardly worth playing, but it'll be there none-the-less.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2009, 10:55:45 am »

BSD is a pretty nice and simple way to do it. 

Using the morph thing really depends on what you're trying to achieve.  Personally, from that page, it didn't impress me but I guess I'd have to do it myself and investigate the results.

Your welcome!  I finally was ble to set up PDCurses for Codeblocks and compile your code... :P  It was definetly harder than it should've been but at least I learned a new thing.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2009, 11:52:26 am »

The more I think about it, the less I think the morphing would be appropriate/realistic for an indoor area...

Good to hear!  I had to reinstall it several times before I got it completely right... I've added ap for the enemies, and I've just about got the name bug I found fixed.  Next I'll work on getting the get_distance thing fixed...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2009, 02:43:12 pm »

If you're going to make organic caverns, instead of making a lot of box rooms, make an algorithm that eats away the ground
in pretty patterns, like a snake.

ChevyRay was experimenting with a pretty cool system, that I have to recommend.
It isn't hard to type up your own version of it, and it makes some pretty cool results.

Read this for a bit more info:
http://properundead.com/2009/03/cave-generator.html
There's even a working demo of it!

EDIT: By the way, my game is STILL trying to reconcile the first world I tried to generate.
It definitely needs to start off more stable than this.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 02:45:46 pm by Outcast Orange »

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2009, 03:20:20 pm »

That looks great!  I may just have to find a use for this...

@ the edit:  Which game?  What needs to be more stable than what?  Sorry, I'm not totally with it at the moment...

I've run into a bit of a problem loading a game at the main menu using:
Code: [Select]
map game_map;  //Create a blank map and set up a game.
_game GAME = {"TestName", "TestClass", 0,0, 20,20, 0, 7,7,7,7,7, game_map};  //Create a game to load to

load_game(GAME);  //Load the game, this is where it messes up...

play_game(GAME, GAME.current_map, tiles);  //Start the game

[EDIT]:  I may not be able to get on again today, and probably won't be on again until tomorrow night.  Feel free to try and contact me though, I may be able to find internet...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 03:30:52 pm by timmeh »

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2009, 12:14:54 pm »

I've been studying for a test the last couple of days but I've already nailed it!  8)

So, I'm gonna finish what I was doing and send it to you ASAP... I'm doing a programming assignment for college so it might have to wait until tonight...

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2009, 03:17:34 pm »

I've been studying for a test the last couple of days but I've already nailed it!  8)

So, I'm gonna finish what I was doing and send it to you ASAP... I'm doing a programming assignment for college so it might have to wait until tonight...

That'd be great!  I've actually been taking a break from it for a couple days to work on a text/PDCurses based version of my Sudoku Solver... it's actually as easy or easier to use... I'm starting to see the love for text-based interfaces you get a lot of on these forums.  They're clean, simple, powerful and effective.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Tower of Azari v0.20 Released!
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2009, 05:12:47 pm »

TOWER OF AZARI v0.20 RELEASED

Took me long enough, huh?  Well, thanks to Alexhans I finally got the saving and loading fixed, so here it is.

This particular update had enough changes for me to create a couple catagories for them.  I don’t know if future releases will or won’t.

Internal Changes (No visible effect on the game)
  • Added support of different colored tiles.

Visual Changes
  • The message logs look nicer.
  • The character sheet is formatted nicer.
  • Borders added around the map and character sheet, and the border around the stat panel on the main screen was changed to match.
  • Added hunger and energy bars, they’re currently static, but they do grow/shrink correctly, I promise!

Gameplay Changes
  • Game shouldn’t crash at random positions any more.
  • Goblins have been replaced by the classic, Giant Rat, as the place-holder for the monsters I hope to later generate semi-randomly.
  • Added experience and levels.  (No effect yet, can’t even get experience yet)
  • AP-turn system implemented.
  • Monsters will attack you as often as their speed allows when you’re standing near them.
  • Saving and loading works!

See the first post for the download.

[EDIT]:  A couple things I may work on next, in no particular order...

1.  Moving Enemies - I'll probably use A-star for path finding, the trick is knowing when to make them move towards the player, which leads me too...
2.  Basic Sight/Line-of-Sight - I need to figure out how to check for line-of-sight (see if there is a wall between the player and the enemy), and may try to add some form of primitive sight to show what the player can see...
3.  Items - I'm hoping to at least get either perishables (food, maybe simple potions) or weapons/armor done before the next release
4.  Basic Map Generation - I may try to get some form of basic random maps in.  I'm thinking BSP for the normal maps, and a maze-style map using a variation of the cave generator Outcast Orange mentioned a few posts back.
5.  Move Enemy Information Into Data-files - Eventually I'd like to have most of the content that isn't randomly generated in eternal data-files for easier editing.
6.  Some way to lose/regain energy and hunger - Mostly just so I can show off the bars :P  If perishables make it in, they'd fit this.  If they don't I may make a make-shift way to test the bars.
7.  Some way to heal - Pretty much the same thing as 6...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:06:01 pm by timmeh »

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Caretaker v1.3, Sudoku Solver v1.0, Tower of Azari v0.20 +more!
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2009, 04:10:36 pm »

There's still an unhandled exception while loading... I'll be having little internet access for a couple of days (I hope...  :-\) but I'll try to look at it whenever I have a chance.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2009, 04:16:55 pm »

Yeah, just noticed that.  I'm working on that and a couple other things.  I've got line-of-sight working (Bresenham's line algorithm, modified to check for walls instead of drawing), and that's when I noticed the unhandled exception, so that's my current project.  However, I've got a dance class tonight in about 30mins, so I probably won't get anything finished before tomorrow.  If I can actually fix it I'll re-upload a half-way version...

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2009, 04:28:30 pm »

I'll try it out when I get a chance.
It sounds good so far.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 29