Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29

Author Topic: My C++ Projects - Tower of Azari v0.31 - "I'm not dead yet."  (Read 51366 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: My C++ Game Projects - Tower of Azari v0.26 released 11/02/09!
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2009, 08:33:58 pm »

Okay, I obviously should have tested it more thoroughly... Apples have infinite uses, and you can apparently wear shoes on your arms and gloves on your feet and equipment isn't saved/loaded...  Needless to say there are a couple mistakes in the raw files.  I'm fixing them now, and working on getting the enemies changed from a stuct to a class.  Once I'm done I'll probably re-upload.

[EDIT]: Dang... that release is seriously bug-riddled... I'm working on it, but I don't know how much time I'll have tonight and tomorrow cause I've got some school stuff to do...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:56:47 pm by timmeh »
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2009, 08:38:34 pm »

Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but when I tried to equip sandals, it crashed. :I

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2009, 11:04:08 pm »

Thanks for the heads up, I had some trouble with it before, so I'll get on it as soon as I get the chance.  That being said, work will be slower for a bit, as I just took on another class (physics), so I'm not going to have quite so much free time while I ease into my new schedule.  I'll figure something out to get me more time, but it might take a bit... still, I'll work on this in what free time I have, I enjoy it too much to quit now :)
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2009, 06:17:51 am »

You're confusing me with class and struct and class... By phsyics class do you mean class like class and struct, or class like school?

You should make Korean pros into game-ending, SPEED:0 megabeasts.
A Jaedong appears at your fort.
DF: gg
DF has left the game.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2009, 07:37:45 am »

You're confusing me with class and struct and class... By phsyics class do you mean class like class and struct, or class like school?

School class, sorry.  I'm in my highschool year (college for those who don't use the term highschool, I think) but wasn't taking a science class (homeschooled), so now I'm taking physics... simple enough (thus far), but time consuming... while I'm technically homeschooled it might as well be a private school, as I do have actual classes I go to a campus and sit through twice a week, but the majority of my classes have been self taught for the last few years.  I've got British Literature later today actually, so I probably ought to get my stuff together...

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2009, 09:07:40 am »

We are both caught under the crushing foot of life.

Good luck.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2009, 07:36:53 pm »

:P  I like that... I may start quoting it... ( in real life at least, the links and formatting are using up most of the space in my sig.... :( )

Thanks.  I rewrote a bit of the equipment code trying to fix a bug and make it easier to save and ended up making it all worse, so things are not looking to great at the moment :P  That's okay though, they're sure to get better soon.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2009, 10:24:50 pm »

You'll think thoughts like this more often after seeing this:

http://experimentalgameplay.com/egp1games/exterminationdisconation_11.exe

It's designed for a dance pad, but the numpad works fine.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2009, 06:01:04 pm »

I now love that game :P

Okay, equipment seems to be working now.  I changed it from an array or pointers to items to just an array of items.  I don't honestly have any idea what the heck I was thinking when I set it up to use pointers in the first place... anyways, it works, and enemies are now a class instead of a structure, which makes it look a bit nicer (it'll look nicer still when I get some of the other bits and pieces converted...).  I still have a few bugs to work out, and I need to make it save equipment, but that (the saving/loading at least) will be quick and easy.

[EDIT]: Got most of the bugs fixed, just got the combat one that's making the enemies always miss.  I have a hunch, but I'm going to be stopping for the night soon, so it'll probably wait till tomorrow.  In the mean time, I've just finished filling the second side of a second sheet of graph paper trying to figure out how to connect rooms in a BSP tree, so any advise here would be great :P

Basically, I can split the rooms okay, and I can connect the rooms at the bottom tier (the ones after the last split), but as I get higher in the tree it get's more and more complicated, trying to figure out which rooms to connect.  I'm thinking that I may be able to take the split direction (horizontal or vertical) between the two rooms, and the split direction of their children to figure it out, but no such luck... anyways, if anyone has any ideas at all I'd really appreciate it...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:29:54 pm by timmeh »

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2009, 08:03:26 am »

You might find these interesting:
http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2009/06/02/understanding-roguelike-dungeons/
http://kuoi.com/~kamikaze/GameDesign/art07_rogue_dungeon.php

I should be able to read the code to try to help you.  I don't think I know how are you doing it right now.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2009, 08:12:06 am »

You might find these interesting:
http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2009/06/02/understanding-roguelike-dungeons/
http://kuoi.com/~kamikaze/GameDesign/art07_rogue_dungeon.php

I should be able to read the code to try to help you.  I don't think I know how you are doing it right now.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2009, 08:57:42 am »

Thanks for the links, I'll give them a more through reading when I get back from school.

I'll try to get my actual code up soon, but this is basically what I'm doing.  Only real difference is that all my rooms take up the maximum space, to make connecting them easier, and when I go to connect them I just loop through every room and if it isn't at the far right I add a door on the right, and if it isn't at the bottom, then I add a door to the bottom wall as well.  At the moment it has no idea about the concept of tiers, parent/sister rooms or anything, although they'd be very easy to set up.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2009, 09:25:09 am »

;D I know you're using BSP, timmeh...

I was just wondering if you had added anything to track the relations between adjacent rooms.  I think you'll have to set up those family rooms  (:P) to be able to direct corridors in a controlled way...

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: My C++ Game Projects - Tower of Azari v0.27 released 11/05/09!
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2009, 05:31:54 pm »

I can figure out which rooms are sister rooms easy enough, it's how to connect rooms that were split further that I'm having trouble with.  I'll get an example up in a minute, in the mean time:

Version 0.27 Released (D-load in first post)
Internal Changes
  • Equipment is now stored as "item"s instead of pointers to them.
  • Changed enemy "struct" to a "class".
  • Added int() conversion to several places to prevent some of the warnings.
  • Cut parts of map display out and made them their own function, for readability.
  • Added functions for some of the stat calculations I use, so they can be changed easier.

Visual Changes
  • Added "Weight Carried" display to the inventory screen

Gameplay Changes
  • Equipment really works now, I'm sure this time!
  • Equipment is now saved/loaded properly.
  • Enemies won't always miss.

Because of that last one, you may need to tone the difficulty down in the settings file.  I haven't done much difficulty checking, cause I tend to cheat to test specific things (I.E. Kill button so I can test drops and equipment...)... anyways, thanks for all the support so far guys!  I had an idea at school for a temporary way to set up room connections, so I may or may not be able to get it working for the next version...

[EDIT]: On the topic of goals for the next version, I'm hoping to get items with multiple effects set up (ideally, any combination of existing effects you want), so that when I move on to magic and such it'll be a little easier to set up.  I'm thinking some form of flags, so I'm looking into figuring them out.  I remember from back when I did a lot of Zombie Master (HL2) mapping, you could set a bunch of flags for various things.  Each one was a power of two, so the game could figure out which flags were on, as there would be a unique number for each combination.

I.E. You'd have flags numbered 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc.  And no matter how you add them up, you cannot get the same number with more than one combination (I think).  Parsing something like that could be a pain though... (How would I go about determining that the number 57 represented the flags 1, 2, 4, 8 and 32...) 

Anyways, that's the plan, until I can figure out the rooms thing, that's what I'll (probably) be working on.

[EDIT2]:  Well, due to some help from a guy at the cprogramming forums, I discovered (accidentally, at that) that I can probably do this a lot easier with some bitwise operators.  I'd been interested by the way PDCurses has functions that let me pass what appear to be multiple arguments separated by |'s as a single argument.  Well, now I know.  :)

I actually found some interesting information on the subject after I figured out the name of the things (bitwise operators, that is).  The CProgramming website has some interesting information on the subject, for anyone interested.

Thanks for all your help guys, it's invaluable :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 10:59:59 pm by timmeh »

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
Re: My C++ Game Projects - Tower of Azari v0.27 released 11/05/09!
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2009, 12:00:11 am »

I'll look at that later down the line.
It doesn't seem necessary for me right now.
Keep up the good work Timmeh!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29