Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: New room: Museum  (Read 7235 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: New room: Museum
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 06:32:06 pm »

To give your dwarves a little bit of information. Dwarf fortresses are all about getting things done. Waterfalls are for happiness, statues are for meeting zones, engravings are to stop tantrums. I just want a little room that dwarves would go to to learn about the world and the things that have happened (maybe show up on engravings, no more fecking dwarf surrounded by dwarves)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 08:40:22 pm »

Hmm...

It doesn't have to be it's own room, just an item that lets a dwarf admire whatever is put into it.

So like admiring an earing would be easier and possible.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 10:25:58 pm »

I like the idea of a museum as it's own room, but cases with objects should definitely be placeable elsewhere, so you can jazz up a noble's room with your masterpiece earring or whatever, or reward the maker with it.  And the mechanism of the case making it easier for dwarfs to admire something is excellent

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 10:54:29 pm »

I imagine a table as slightly too large for the scope of a display case. I think a display case/stand can be a type furniture craftable like any other furniture. A stand can also be used a podium. I'm surprised there aren't any modes for expedition/hamlet/whatever meetings, where the leader stands in front, and depending on their social skills, can generate positive or negative thoughts for the speech.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 05:49:10 am »

Yeah, having a display case require a table is sort of stupid.  I've been to lots of museums and most of the display cases I've seen are not sitting on a table - they are either built from the floor or into a section of the wall.

I do think having it require glass is also silly.  If we can build cages that hold an infinite number of bronze collossi, we should be able to make a wooden or stone "cage" whose only function is to hold artifacts and allow people to admire without being able to take the item within easily.

It might even be a tradeoff - glass communicates happy thoughts more easily, while stone is the hardest to break in order to steal the item within, and wood is somewhere in the middle.

I love this idea though.  A curator noble would be great (but not the philosopher doing it - imo the philosopher is based on Plato's accounts of Socrates and thus he should be doing nothing but thinking and teaching )

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 11:52:23 am »

Table as a pedestal isn't a bad idea though...  Glass covering could add security (time to steal)

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 08:06:45 am »

My biggest - nay, only - problem with this suggestion is that there's a whole lot of talk of "glass cases" and the like.

Most of my fortresses can't make glass.  So there has to be a way to make a glassless museum.  So the stone pedestals get my vote as a possibility (not like we don't need more uses for stone, amirite?), along with metal ones and so on.

I think I remember something about all those useless artifacts not being so useless in the future, but given the inherently random nature of magic, sometimes it's better to lock an artifact away than it is to use it.  For this, a nice vault or museum-type room would be GREAT.  But that's all future implications.

Current uses would mostly be like a zoo, only with inanimate objects instead of animals - and I like the Curator, as well.  Perhaps he (or she) could be used as a way to access Legends Mode from within Fortress Mode, to a somewhat limited extent based upon the curator's ability/time spent/library.  I'm not sure it would add a whole lot to the game, but it's an interesting little idea.

It may be possible to create your own museum currently with creative uses of stockpiles and grates or glass walls.  A 1-tile stockpile that only takes Legendary-quality items might work, except that you have no control over what goes into it and would have to forbid every non-artifact Legendary in the fortress to get it specifically put in there.

... But hey, it can be done.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 08:28:42 am »

Just turn off Artifact quality on every STOCKPILE that might possibly hold one and create a general Artifact stockpile. It's how I did it.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 09:46:49 am »

Most of my fortresses can't make glass.  So there has to be a way to make a glassless museum.  So the stone pedestals get my vote as a possibility (not like we don't need more uses for stone, amirite?), along with metal ones and so on.

I don't disagree with most of your point, but here you're arguing from the limitations of the system compounded with your own play style.  Just because you can't currently import glass (temporary condition) and you don't play on sandy maps (personal choice), the game shouldn't be expanded with an additional feature(optional bonus)?

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 07:56:17 am »

Oh.  You seem to think I don't think the museum or its glass cases should be available.  That was not my intended meaning.  I simply meant that, just as we can have stone, glass, or wooden coffers, we might also have stone, glass, or wooden displays.  The museum idea sounds great to me, really, as I see Dwarves as the type to be very concerned about their history, particularly the history of the very best stuff they've made.  I just want to make sure I can find a way to do it even if I can't get the materials to make it a certain way.

Also, while glass cases are indeed better for thwarting would-be thieves, they are certainly not the only way to set up a display.  You could hold such items behind grates, screens, on pedestals, hang them on the wall or from the ceiling, and other such things.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 09:19:27 am »

A lot of places don't even have the cases.  It's only in modern times where they've decided it's better to encase everything in glass rather than make (messy) examples of the bad apples that we have to deal with crap like this.

(I.E. if it was legal to jail people for touching the crap they shouldn't you might not need to lock everything up, because people care a lot more about the rules when it's a good thrashing on the line than they do when it's just a finger wagging.)

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 05:00:45 am »

And for Dwarves, the only punishments are "Lock-up" or "hammering."  Usually "Hammering."

Would YOU touch the stuff in the museum?   ;D
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 11:24:49 am »

And for Dwarves, the only punishments are "Lock-up" or "hammering."  Usually "Hammering."

Would YOU touch the stuff in the museum?   ;D
If I was a dwarf, I would probably touch it, and then throw it to people because my last dinner was served in a plastic bowl.

It's probably the easiest to implement if it's built like a statue, with as materials: 1 masterpiece/artifact, 1 set of blocks and 1 cage/aquarium. It should be locked like doors, when newly built.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 11:46:58 am »

I dunno, I'd see it as a pedestal (blocks) or case (glass), building it like furniture, and then assigning items to it like a cage.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could assign the case(with item) to a pedestal.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2009, 02:10:10 pm »

Another aspect of museums would be importing artifacts. It'd be interesting if your curator (or even a different kind of dwarf) would work on tracking down valuable and famous artifacts from all around the world so you can buy or rent them and place them in your museum. And of course other curators would come to your fortress to buy or rent artifacts. That way it'd even be possible to create an exhibition of the great artifacts of Urist Hammereaten, exterminator of the evil elves of the evil forrest of cuddly unicorns.

Another thing, that would lock into the taxodermy part, would be relics of famous people and possibly also their coffins. Exhibiting the coffin of the famous Sodol Fireworked who bled to death after singlehandedly slaying the dragon that assaulted your fortress is something we must be able to do.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:17:40 pm by Virex »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4