Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: New room: Museum  (Read 7234 times)

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New room: Museum
« on: September 05, 2009, 03:35:46 pm »

The museum would function much like the statue garden and zoo do now- a place for dwarves to gather and admire their handiwork and occasionally throw parties. A new object, the "display case", would be the basis for this room and the source of its designation. A display case must be built from clear glass or clear glass blocks and can only be assembled on top of a table. A display case may be assigned one single item from any item in your fortress to be placed inside of it. A display case may be "locked" or "unlocked". Later, when dwarves can become thieves, they might try to break into a display case and steal the item inside of it.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New room: Museum
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 04:17:40 pm »

It would be a good place to put all those *oak earring* artifacts.
But throwing a party inside a museum... I dont think so.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 03:52:58 pm »

Would be nice indeed to have a place to dump all the junk nicely crafted artifacts.

Wouldnt mind if we were able to sell them if we wished.  :)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 06:00:05 pm »

oooh, so you build a glass "holder" and you could put ANYTHING in there. I like. I like a lot. That earring made of three aluminium bars could be put to use...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 08:33:09 pm »

You could follow the matgloss-per-material thing we have with cages and doors right now. A wooden or metal "holder" would be a Stand, a stone one a Pedestal, and a glass one a Case.

For simplicity's sake, I'd boil it down to one piece of material for this construction rather than building it on top of an existing table, but that's just my opinion.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 08:47:35 pm »

A wooden or metal "holder" would be a Stand, a stone one a Pedestal
The problem with this is that those describe tables. A glass case is the only way (prior to 1400 anyway; pretty sure they didn't have plastic back then) to place an object inside an enclosed space and still be able to see it from outside that space. I could see you being able to use normal tables for display purposes and just having to deal with a higher theft rate however.
and a glass one a Case.

For simplicity's sake, I'd boil it down to one piece of material for this construction rather than building it on top of an existing table, but that's just my opinion.
The purpose of placing it on a table is because it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to place it on the ground. As a compromise though, perhaps a pre-built table could be one of the materials needed to construct the display case?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 09:56:45 pm »

This was brought up a few months ago, like all idea seem to be, but it still a cool idea. It doesn't feel right for the dorf to store their artifacts inside the depths of a stockpile.

I would like a Curator Noble, or Historian. Dorf speak with him, and learn something of their mighty countries history get a decent happy thought for dorfs that like tradition.

He would store the artifacts (unless in placed by you of course.) He would clean the displays, maybe even make mobiles.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 01:08:43 am »

Nobles should be reserved for characters with special conditions and rules.

A Curator isn't likely to any different then ordinary dwarves.

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 04:29:47 am »

Nobles should be reserved for characters with special conditions and rules.

A Curator isn't likely to any different then ordinary dwarves.
You mean like the broker, manager, bookkeeper... ::)

I would say the historian could be like a bookkeeper who keeps track of events instead of assets.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:31:59 am by Toksyuryel »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 04:32:51 am »

As it is, a zoo or statue garden will bring your dwarves in range of anything placed close enough to give them happy thoughts...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 02:53:13 pm »

I like it, as long as it doesn't use the screwy room designations-from-objects that we currently have.  A museum zone should be possible.  Also, I totally want archaeology to be implemented, so yeah.  Museum items should have advanced descriptions, like you would expect from a museum display.

I'm for the idea of a curator, as it makes a museum feel more like a real location instead of a box-o-crap dwarves wander through for happy thoughts.  He'd certainly have a more substantive role than a philosopher.  It'd be slick if he managed displays (like MrWiggles said) and would go out and grab valuables to fill empty displays.

Other related jobs/noble positions:  Taxidermist, to stuff those fearsome beasts (and sentients if your ethics allows) who once terrorized your fort.  Head Zookeeper, for zoos (dungeon master could serve this role), and Head Horticulturist, for gardens or statue gardens.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 03:00:30 pm »

I'm pretty happy room designation from objects. This allows for a lot of freedom in where rooms can be. I do wish that its interface was different. I wish they operated more like they do for construction or farm plots. ALthough I would be truly happy if I could select the tiles I wanted for the room.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 04:29:33 pm »

It would be a good place to put all those *oak earring* artifacts.
But throwing a party inside a museum... I dont think so.

It would be something a bit more subdued than your regular co-ed dorm kegger party, but certainly public and social events are held at museums.

The purpose of placing it on a table is because it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to place it on the ground. As a compromise though, perhaps a pre-built table could be one of the materials needed to construct the display case?

Why not just combine the two? Create Wooden, Rock, or Metal stand (from carpentry, mason's, or forge), which requires either raw materials or blocks plus raw or block glass.

It makes as little sense storing an artifact earring or weapon in a case on the ground as it does storing an artifact statue or table in a case on a table. By making the "display case" furniture require architectural materials to begin with, one can infer the case is either eye-level or torso height, depending on what's actually being placed inside it.

Alternatively, have two kinds of cases: large and small, with the large case being used for furniture, or possibly mounted animals if taxidermy is ever implemented.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:35:51 pm by Niveras »

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 05:05:20 pm »

I like this idea a lot, although instead of having it run by a seperate noble, you could always make running it a job of the philosopher (who would then be more of a natural philosopher)  It does seem much more appropriate to have the artifacts (the ones that aren't useful) displayed somewhere impressive than to have them stored away in a stockpile.  You should be able to add things important to you to the museum too, like the first block of adamantine mined or the bones of a dragon (or particularly annoying mandrill, or whatever).    I like the idea of making cases/stands/pedistals their own piece of furniture, but doing this will have one amusing side effect....you'd occasionally get artifact museum cases which would be worthy of display in and of themselves.  Bonus points for an artifact stand with an image of, say, a dwarf slaying a specific dragon---containing the bones of said dragon.  Informative plaques!

Zombie0hour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 05:10:16 pm »

It's a good idea, but what is really the purpose of it?
"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein
Pages: [1] 2 3 4