Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171371 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #1935 on: December 16, 2009, 09:13:55 am »

I think so. The other day one of my flamers couldn't fire at a building because there were squadmates between him and the building's fire point.

Anyway, anyone up for a 500p game?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: December 16, 2009, 01:46:36 pm »

Working on new army lists but I'll have a room open on vassel.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: December 16, 2009, 01:53:35 pm »

IG will still outshoot you, point for point. Conscripts are just 4p each, and if you use "First rank fire! Second rank fire!" successfully (attach a commissar to them for best result) they get 2 shots at 24" and 3 at 12". That's 150 shots for 200p in optimal conditions.

And when it does get to assault, they're dirt cheap so it's no big loss.
That would have to be a lord commissar, as they don't get the option to attach a normal one. Further, only 1/3 of those attacks will hit. Against T3 opponents only 1/2 of those that hit will cause a wound, and against T4 only 1/3 will. Further, anywhere from 1/6 to 2/3 will save, depending on their armor. Assuming there's no way in hell you can get all 50 within 12", but perhaps it's possible to get them within 24", that means you'd get 100 shots if you were to issue the order successfully. Which means roughly 33 would hit, against orks 11 would wound, and then 1/3 would save, leaving you with 6-7 wounds inflicted. That sounds good, but remember that by this point, they're almost certainly only 12" or so away from at least one conscript, so you'd get only one full volley off before they close.

Also, troops in a vehicle that moved at cruising speed or higher can't fire. Certainly not if it moved flatout. It's under the "Fire points" heading under transports.

Yes, intervening troops in the squad block template weapons. You can shoot over their shoulder with a rifle, you can't do the same with a flamethrower...

Want to continue the game we were playing when the server went down?
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: December 16, 2009, 02:33:07 pm »

Apologies for quitting mid-game. My net went down, and I felt too tired to coax my router into working again at the time. Hopefully we'll be able to continue that game at some point.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: December 16, 2009, 05:13:25 pm »

OK, I got vassal, and the 40k mod, but how do I join the bay 12 sever? it seems lock.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: December 16, 2009, 05:16:05 pm »

It's not a server, it's a room. Click the arrow next to it, then right click whoever is at the top. PM asking to be let in.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: December 16, 2009, 11:27:25 pm »

Also, troops in a vehicle that moved at cruising speed or higher can't fire. Certainly not if it moved flatout. It's under the "Fire points" heading under transports.

Trukks are Open Topped, no fire points :)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: December 17, 2009, 02:11:38 am »

Still nothing under open topped transports to contradict "Models firing from a vehicle count as moving if the vehicle moves, and may not fire at all if the vehicle moved at Cruising speed that turn," from page 66. You can assault after disembarking from an open topped vehicle that's moved, although you can't disembark if it moved flatout.

Also, I'm up for a 1000 point game if anyone else is. Or 500, or 750, though I'd rather it be 1000...

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: December 17, 2009, 02:18:29 am »

I'm up for a 500 point game though i will need someone to walk me through it. I suppose i could make a 1000 point list, but would prefer a 500 point game for my first.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: December 17, 2009, 02:43:48 am »

Sure, log on then.

Edit: I'm going to set up a room and lock it, message me for an invite.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:53:52 am by Sir Pseudonymous »

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: December 17, 2009, 02:54:22 am »

I'm montgomery, I've posted in the main room and can see you there. But don't know what to do from here.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: December 17, 2009, 06:17:04 am »

Still nothing under open topped transports to contradict "Models firing from a vehicle count as moving if the vehicle moves, and may not fire at all if the vehicle moved at Cruising speed that turn," from page 66. You can assault after disembarking from an open topped vehicle that's moved, although you can't disembark if it moved flatout.

The question i have to ask you is what makes you think the rules under the 'Fire Points' section of the rulebook apply to things that do not possess Fire Points?

(I feel i should add that this is an 'old' argument from the new edition, and as far as i am aware GW hasn't actually clarified yet.)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:19:48 am by Neruz »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: December 17, 2009, 06:24:08 am »

I believe his response will in essence be that the Fire Points rules apply to all transport vehicles.  In other words, if the passengers in an enclosed vehicle can't shoot while the vehicle is driving at full speed, why should the passengers in a open topped vehicle get to shoot at the same speed?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: December 17, 2009, 06:25:36 am »

That's the usual response, both sides have good points, and i've seen compelling arguments for both interpretations.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: December 17, 2009, 06:37:26 am »

If units in a moving vehicle count as moving, that it stands to reason that units in a cruising vehicle count as running. And you can't run and shoot.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 199