Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171388 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #1875 on: December 13, 2009, 08:09:54 am »

Yes, I remember. Thank you.

I count 5 wrecked vehicles and one exploded one, by the way. Not too bad, really.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: December 13, 2009, 02:39:47 pm »

Anybody coming online tonight?

I've got a 1000 point IG army ready to roll.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: December 13, 2009, 03:05:19 pm »

I would if the dnd group isn't starting soon, if it gets cancled then I might play.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: December 13, 2009, 03:58:32 pm »

Hmm. What is the program in Neruz' pictures?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: December 13, 2009, 04:38:53 pm »

Vassal; that's what we're all talking about here.

Right.

First make sure you've downloaded Vassal from the official site (here) - no point in using the one packaged with the mod, that'll be old.
Get the V40k mod from here (in case you're using a different one).

Install Vassal, double-click the .vmod in the mod rar, done. Vassal should open a window every time you run it with a list of all the modules you've got, and once you've run the .vmod once it should remember where it is.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: December 13, 2009, 06:01:45 pm »

So I'm new to the whole playing Warhammer 40k thing (Vet at reading about it, though) and decided to finally get an army list and start working on it. It's a 500point Imperial Guard army and I'm not sure if I broke any rules making the army (just got actual codices and the rulebook a few weeks ago)
If anyone wants to review it and give some pointers or criticisms or whatever, feel free to help a newbie out :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 08:40:31 pm by Chutney »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: December 13, 2009, 06:13:24 pm »

I know little about IG armies, but you'd be better off switching those power swords for another upgrade - you'll be working with I4 at best, and any army that relies on close combat is going to have better than that, plus they're likely to be stronger and tougher than your troops up close. Being able to breach armour easily is likely the least of your problems by that stage.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: December 13, 2009, 06:49:01 pm »

You can't take a regular infantry squad alone, it comes as a part of a platoon which counts as one troop choice. You'll need minimum two squads and a platoon command, which gives you a lot of fire with the "First rank fire! Second rank fire!" order. And with all those dice, you just have to get some wounds.

Oh, and I'd get some blast for masses. A lot of more experienced people will disagree with me on that one, though.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 06:51:00 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: December 13, 2009, 06:54:08 pm »

I doubt anything less than a large blast (-> basilisk) will be any more useful than massed lasguns. Tank-killing's gonna be the biggest problem, and while the meltas can deal with that to some degree, it's unlikely that they'll be in range for long.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: December 13, 2009, 08:49:57 pm »

ok so besides the infantry squad alone glaring mistake  :-[ I tried to fix it up a little better. Took away the powerswords, but pretty much kept everything else.
How's this now?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: December 13, 2009, 08:56:11 pm »

Plasma weapons and autocannons will give you a decent chance against light vehicles, but you'll still be looking at that Devil Dog for the most support if you come across anything bigger - and as its armour isn't great, it's likely to have everything on the map shooting at it to make sure it doesn't get close enough to pose a threat. It'll likely work in a 500pt army, but I'd be careful relying on such vehicles in bigger armies (lascannon support or equivalent is viable even in 750pt armies).

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: December 13, 2009, 09:34:06 pm »

I like vendettas for tank killing. And running away once you've slaughtered enough to win a moral victory in annihilation. :P

Normal infantry only have a 50% chance to hit with each shot, so on average only 4-5 rounds from each squad will even hit (since the sergeant only has a range of 12"). Even against T3 units, that means only 50% of those will wound (down to 2-3 wounds); against T4s, only a third will wound (1-2). With no AP value, that's cut down to effectively nothing against most enemies (one left, if you're lucky...). So for 50 points, you get a ten wound blob of useless. :/

Veterans given autocannons/heavy bolters and grenade launchers are halfway useful, though. 66% of their attacks will hit, and you can replace three flashlights with an S3 AP6 blast weapon that doubles as an S6 AP4 antiarmor round, which can be fired at its full range while moving, and with a BS of 4 that means it won't scatter too far from your target with a little luck.

Vendettas bring a staggering amount of highly mobile fire power for a relatively low cost. One has a decent chance of destroying a tank, and they chew up heavy infantry. Add on the heavy bolters, and they can tear up lighter, cheaper infantry too.

I hear chimeras are nice, and thinking about it, in a higher point game, they make a nice upgrade to a veteran squad or something, that has a heavy weapon team and three alternate weapons. Throw on the heavy stubber and camo netting, park it in cover, and you have a nice heavily armored fire point capable of laying down a staggering amount of dakka, with a 3+ cover save, that can turn and get the hell out if the enemy gets too close.

If you have the points and enough firepower to keep the enemy off, colossus or griffons might be a good investment. Basilisks are nicer, but their minimum range is almost the short length of a normal board.

I hesitate to say infantry platoons are useless, but that seems to be the case. They're too expensive to just swarm and overpower heavier shit, and there are better solutions to lighter swarms. Let's look at basic infantry versus toaster warriors:

Every shot that's fired has a 50% chance of hitting (1/2 of shots get this far), there's only a 33% chance of inflicting a wound (1/6th shots), then only 33% get past the armor save (1/18th of shots), and, after all that, there's a 50% chance it'll just hop right back up on its next turn (1/36th of shots inflict a lasting wound). So, to kill a single 18 point toaster in one volley, you would need, statistically, four infantry squads, coming in at 200 points.

Now, for 198 points, you could get 11 toaster warriors. They have the same range as guardsmen. 66% of their attacks will hit (2/3rds), and 66% of those will wound (4/9ths of shots inflict wounds). So those 11 warriors, firing on the guardsmen, would inflict roughly 5 wounds per volley, or one eighth of the total strength of the mass. Of course, in practice, the guardsmen will all manage to shoot themselves instead, and the toasters will manage to hit five with every shot. >:|

The problem is, you'd have a damn hard time getting those 40 guardsmen (got to remember the useless sergeants...) all in range, so the toasters would just shred them unit by unit until there was nothing left.

I've got about five hours before I have to go to sleep if I'm going to get a reasonable amount. Anyone want a game in the meantime? I want to continue that daemon one against userpay, a little less so the IG v Toasters against neruz, but I want to try out another daemon army that might work better. Or tau, if I finish the 1000 point list before anyone wants a game.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: December 13, 2009, 09:45:53 pm »

Lets see if we can finish our game, I don't think I'll have to be drawn away by dinner.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: December 13, 2009, 09:54:27 pm »

Plasma weapons and autocannons will give you a decent chance against light vehicles, but you'll still be looking at that Devil Dog for the most support if you come across anything bigger - and as its armour isn't great, it's likely to have everything on the map shooting at it to make sure it doesn't get close enough to pose a threat. It'll likely work in a 500pt army, but I'd be careful relying on such vehicles in bigger armies (lascannon support or equivalent is viable even in 750pt armies).
Eventually I will want some heavier tanks and more support from tank-piercing weapons, but I figure starting with a versatile(ish?) 500pt army is good. I kinda wanna make an artillery team, composed mostly of basilisks with leman russ and some infantry support some point. Mostly because I think artillery is cool, not because I think it will be a good army  8)

@Sir Pseudonymous I want a few  Vendettas/Valkyries in an army somewhere too :) I didn't think infantry would suck so bad  :'(, should I perhaps gun for another veterans squad instead of the platoon?

Maybe I could use that 135 points towards a Valkyrie? and some upgrades? Or would that not be so useful in a 500pt army?

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: December 13, 2009, 11:12:16 pm »

Troop 1:  Infantry Platoon
   -platoon commander 30
   -vox caster 5
   -infantry squadx2 100

I think you're missing at least 1 vox caster in there. The platoon commander's unit is separate from the infantry units. You can combine the infantry squads but not the command squads, so at minimum you're going to need another vox caster, or two if you don't combine the squads.

@ Sir, I think you're neglecting the effect of orders on the IG infantry in the 5ed codex. There's a  92% chance that a squad will be able to get an additional shot off, essentially doubling their damage output.

Here's a 750 pt IG list I've been working on. C&C would be very much appreciated.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 199