Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171545 times)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #1140 on: November 29, 2009, 06:25:25 pm »

As i keep telling people, i turn into a massive retard when it's late, due to tiredness or some shit.

It's mostly manifesting as acting a little drunk, and doing things that seem like a good idea at the time, but turn out to be incredibly, infamously stupid.

Like the incident with Reasonableman.

Oh, and i'll have a look about drybrushing thr next guy, i don't want to ruin this fellow.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 30, 2009, 06:17:41 am »

My advice for the yellow is:
1) use a little (watered down/wetbrush) brown ink in joins and creases. Just there, not all over the yellow.
2) Then add some pretty obvious highlights with a mix of the yellow you are using and white.
Pure white will make it look like it is shiney, don't want that. Also the white will make the yellow be more opaque.
Highlight using your favorite method. I'd advice against drybrushing at this late a stage, don't want your leather jacket etc drybrushed in light yellow.

Thin paints.
I'm addicted to licking my brushes all the time myself, water tends to make the paint too runny. (I'll probably get ill from contamination at some point though)
Chtulu is probably referring to the paint on the helmet having an obvious texture.
This is a likely result of using a thick paint or applying many layers to make it 'cover' (?). Thick paints just dry too fast.

Some colours will show the underlying coat if applied thinly, mostly reds, yellows and other bright colours. It helps to either use a white undercoat for those areas or use a darker like-colour that will function as the shadows. scabred for red and snakebitebrown for yellow for instance.

---

I like your mini conversion of the guns. :)
along with battle damage, maybe apply some tinbitz/rust? Maybe not, badmoons are notoriously rich and would be likely to have lotz of gretchin polishing their loot.

---
My stuff:

I'm happy about how a base conversion for one of my devastator/longfangs turned out. The model that is standing on a small rock, I nremoved the rock and cut up several spare pieces from a plastic kit to produce a darkangel devastator half burried in the snow. The Longfang is now standing on his corpse instead of the pebble. (I had 3 of the pebble guys and having them all standing on that same rock would be silly)
[insert image here later]
edit2: cruddy zoom, maybe later, only got fuzzy photos.

---
edit: Your remark about drybrushing threw me into explain-to-noob mode, obviously you are no noob. For one thing, no noob would paint so neatly or mod his models so subtly. My apologies if I made you feel lectured to.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:56:01 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 30, 2009, 10:41:00 am »

:P

I meant as in "I'll test out drybrushing him", i generally avoid doing it, as i dislike the process, and it destroys my brushes.

I have the same habit of licking my brushes, it keeps them straight dammit! (the paint is non-toxic, too.)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: November 30, 2009, 10:50:38 am »

Did anyone read my post, darnit?  I wasn't actually telling you to thin your paints, I just learned on /tg/ that everyone has to thin their paints no matter what.  It was a joke.  Jeez.
Shoes...

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 30, 2009, 10:56:57 am »

Ah, at first, i thought you were referencing that, but it's generally said when people post pictures of models like this:

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 30, 2009, 10:58:19 am »

@Chtulu: We rely on you for words of wisdom and whisperings of the unknowable, please don't do it again. ;)

edit @ ap. aaargh! scary.
edit. bastard can make in-focus pictures though... I generally fail at that. :(
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:01:47 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 30, 2009, 11:07:06 am »

If you'll note, the guy appears to have only failed at the face, look at the armour.

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 30, 2009, 03:16:55 pm »

Ah, at first, i thought you were referencing that, but it's generally said when people post pictures of models like this:

Did Commissar Fuklaw somehow turn into a Space Marine?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: November 30, 2009, 04:25:40 pm »

Did anyone read my post, darnit?  I wasn't actually telling you to thin your paints, I just learned on /tg/ that everyone has to thin their paints no matter what.  It was a joke.  Jeez.
Drybrushing is good. Overbrushing is not.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 30, 2009, 04:41:57 pm »

My go-to painting guide.

Quote from: The Fighting Tiger
Thinning Paint - You know, for what you’re paying for Citadel paints, you would think they could make it the right consistency.  “Thin the paint?” I have a better idea—stop selling thick paint!

Highlighting - Somewhere, some bunghole decided that it’s just not hard enough to paint a figure smaller than a flea’s nads. It’s not enough work to make sure, say, that the figure’s eyes look somewhat like real eyes and not like saucers with irregularly-shaped blobs of color in the middle.

Drybrushing - The brush can only be dry if there’s no paint on it. If there’s no paint on it, how am I supposed to paint the miniature? Something is very wrong here.

Metallics - You have a metal figure. You basecoat it Chaos Black. Then you paint it Boltgun Metal. What have you just accomplished, aside from giving GW six dollars of your hard-earned money for two pots of paint?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 30, 2009, 04:45:08 pm »

In Soviet Games Workshop, paint thins YOU!!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 30, 2009, 05:08:39 pm »

You realise that Citadel deliberately sell the paint nice and thick because of two reasons;

You get 'more paint' in a smaller container.
You can adjust the thickness to your liking. It's extremely easy to make paint thinner, it's incredibly difficult to make it thicker.

You get the same thing with any high quality paint; it's always made deliberately thicker than you would normally want so that you can thin it down to the correct consistency for whatever you're doing at the time.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 30, 2009, 05:20:54 pm »

They can't possibly be doing us a favour.

It's not GW's style.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: November 30, 2009, 05:31:23 pm »

True; it's also probably more expensive for them to thin the paint down than it is to just bottle it.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: November 30, 2009, 05:36:04 pm »

Dropping some water into the bottle?

I guess it's tru anyway, they can't thin it down enough to make more profit, so they just decided "Fuck it".

Oh, and i still need to figure out how to out-shoot the friggen Tau bastard. I guess i could drop some stormboyz onto him, Zagstrukk could be quite useful.

Hmm, Snikrot and some kommandos would also put a crimp in the bastard staying at the back.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 199