Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171609 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #1020 on: November 09, 2009, 07:28:04 pm »

Or Megadeathsmurfs.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 09, 2009, 08:18:39 pm »

Megadeathsmurfs.

That sounds like a heavy metal band name.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: November 09, 2009, 08:21:55 pm »

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: November 09, 2009, 08:24:03 pm »

I bet Ultradeath is token too.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 09, 2009, 08:34:06 pm »

Megadeth Marines does have a nice ring to it though. Noise Marine chapter anyone?

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: November 09, 2009, 08:59:53 pm »

So I was talking to my friend in the dentists office (crazy coincidence) and I asked him if the book he was reading was in the past, because it made reference to someone going to tell something to the emperor, and that must have happenened in the past. Unless I know nothing about 40k other than what you guys have been posting, and he's like, "nah, far future" and I'm all like, "I know THAT".

I was talking about in the general 40k timeline, he assumed I knew nothing at all about 40k.

Honest misunderstandings make my day.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: November 09, 2009, 11:07:46 pm »

You should have asked if it was pre Horus Heresy.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: November 10, 2009, 01:11:49 am »

You should have asked if it was pre Horus Heresy.
That sounds like the whole "rushing to warn him about Horus" event. I read a summary of that; have the books sitting on my harddrive somewhere; haven't felt the desire to read them.

Most of the 40K novels I've read have been shit. Like the ones about the Grey Knight that defeats demon princes with the power of FRIENDSHIP AND IMAGINATION. :| No shit. And the action sequences read like a little kid mashing action figures together while screaming "PEW PEW PEW KABOOM PEW PEW!!!".

Or Gaunt's Ghosts, with the emo regiment of "super stealthy snipers", who are used as heavy infantry by the functionally retarded leaders of the crusade, apparently to make Gaunt, a decisively mediocre character, seem great by comparison, and to fabricate a further plight for the fucks, so they get to be the little guys that win everything, and suffer the most, but get no credit, so they can mope about it some more. >:|

Faith and Fire is the most horrendous piece of shit I've ever read to completion, and only then because it was short and became a bit more entertaining when everyone stopped talking so fucking much and started dying. The dialog was some of the most awkward, unnatural drivel I've ever seen. And even at the end, after it's partially redeemed itself, the author fucks it up by not having the central characters die. One of them climbs a fucking cliff in fused, unpowered power armor, hijacks a helicopter, flies it into the mouth of an active volcano full of demons, in order to save her girlfriend squad. I mean jesus fucking shit, the most sympathetic character was the fucking villain (the witch, not the priest)...

The Ciaphas Cain books were great. And I believe non-canon in that the central figures aren't batshit insane imbeciles, and that the IG uses tactics more appropriate to, you know, the technology they have. Actual guns, and tanks, and planes, and whatnot. Rather than the primitive, WWI-esque bullshit that appears to be more canon.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: November 10, 2009, 01:51:47 am »

with the emo regiment of "super stealthy snipers", who are used as heavy infantry by the functionally retarded leaders of the crusade

This is about par for the Imperium.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: November 10, 2009, 03:27:22 am »

Standard IG policy: We have reserves.
I have two friends that actually play 40k, one has a cheesecake chaos marine combo, the other uses imperial guard, the latter's take on IG tactics in the fluff is 'send in soldiers until the enemy chokes in the corpses, failing that, send in enough to collapse the planet into a black hole.' .
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: November 10, 2009, 03:54:11 am »

"Keep sending in soldiers, they'll run out of bullets eventually."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: November 10, 2009, 04:20:09 am »

How the hell does their guns ever, ever do any damage?

I mean, it's a heat ray! And not a very powerful one, compared to other weapons!

How exactly would it penetrate Chaos Marine armor? Surely it'd absorb it. Orks I can understand. But Spesh marine armor? How?

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: November 10, 2009, 04:22:21 am »

Flashlight times a billion

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 10, 2009, 04:24:28 am »

But the heat must dissipate quickly. Surely those who built marine armor compensated for that.

Or something.

But then I think... tanks...
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 199