Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171270 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #795 on: October 11, 2009, 08:31:09 pm »

I got to ask: When I was reading an article on the GW about Orks, and I saw a Warbiker using what looked like a rocket hammer. Can anyone explain?

It's exactly what it looks like. Probably mechanically a Big Choppa because i'm pretty sure there aren't stats for 'Rocket Hammers'.
There is a Tankbusta(or whatever they are callled) that have rokkit hammers(or something), that are Str 10!

Orite, forgot about those.

There's probably a way to get them on Bikes.

Not in any way legitimate to the codex, especially being two-handed weapons.  Since they're not far removed from Power Klaws anyway, it's possible that someone just modeled it as a tankhammer for "counts as".
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 12, 2009, 05:41:01 pm »

I got to ask: When I was reading an article on the GW about Orks, and I saw a Warbiker using what looked like a rocket hammer. Can anyone explain?

It's exactly what it looks like. Probably mechanically a Big Choppa because i'm pretty sure there aren't stats for 'Rocket Hammers'.
There is a Tankbusta(or whatever they are callled) that have rokkit hammers(or something), that are Str 10!

Orite, forgot about those.

There's probably a way to get them on Bikes.

Not in any way legitimate to the codex, especially being two-handed weapons.  Since they're not far removed from Power Klaws anyway, it's possible that someone just modeled it as a tankhammer for "counts as".
Maybe. or it was a Big Choppa, that he mistakenly thought was a Tank Hammer.

Aqizzar, what do you think of 5th Ed. Space Marine Scouts?
More importantly, what is the best weapon against MEQs that they can pick from?

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 12, 2009, 06:36:18 pm »

So, quick question: Under realistic fluff-based rules, approximately how many points should an IG player have to take on a 1,000 point Space Marine army?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 12, 2009, 07:48:11 pm »

∞ points.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 12, 2009, 07:56:39 pm »

Tanks.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: October 12, 2009, 08:15:26 pm »

Specifically, Baneblades.

100 of them.

Just don't lose them along the way.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 12, 2009, 08:29:50 pm »

Nah, a company if predators will do them in fine.

(That is: not counting support such as orbital bombardment etc.)

The doctrines are totally opposed:
marines: overwhelming force, surgical strikes (cauterization) ;)
IG: attrition and superior support

The advantage in fluff lies with which can best make use of it's strengths.
If the guard can corner the marines and make their immense size and numbers into play the marines are exterminatus.
The marines win when they can prevent reinforcements for the guard and can choose their engagements.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 12, 2009, 08:49:53 pm »

Yeah, the only thing in the fluff the Marines seem to actually be vulnerable to is being swarmed.  (INCOMING ON SIX)  At the same time, the Imperial Guard's greatest strength is small squads of super-manly veterans, the more obviously Britain-descended the better.  So basically, you'd need an unending tide of Conscripts backed up by Her Majesty's Welsh Dragoons.

Aqizzar, what do you think of 5th Ed. Space Marine Scouts?
More importantly, what is the best weapon against MEQs that they can pick from?

Since all they have to choose from is shotguns, their fists, or sniper rifles, and all have the same chance of wounding MEQs, I say play to their strengths and keep the sniper rifles, with the Hellfire heavy bolter extra.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 13, 2009, 04:05:24 am »

Cauterize is an oddly accurate term to use and it makes me think of the combine immediately.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 13, 2009, 06:50:21 am »

I like to think of the IG as the anvil and the Mareehns as the hammer.

On a side note, they (the Mareehns) are from Science and Outer Space, so that comparison isn't too far off.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 13, 2009, 07:45:45 am »

Just for a lark, I got on /rs/ and found the original Ork books from Rogue Trader (Waa-Da Orks and 'Ere We Go), since I've been on an Ork kick for some reason.  Within them are many of the Orky quotations reprinted in every Codex I've seen since, all the same descriptions of Gretchin and clans and so forth, and even Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thrakka, as a brain damaged Goff Nob in an example armylist presented by Andy Chambers himself.

It's been twenty years since these books were written.  Through all of it's staff rotations since, Games Workshop has managed to spend two decades spinning it's wheels on the same damn story.  Wow.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #806 on: October 13, 2009, 08:23:29 am »

Just for a lark, I got on /rs/ and found the original Ork books from Rogue Trader (Waa-Da Orks and 'Ere We Go), since I've been on an Ork kick for some reason.  Within them are many of the Orky quotations reprinted in every Codex I've seen since, all the same descriptions of Gretchin and clans and so forth, and even Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thrakka, as a brain damaged Goff Nob in an example armylist presented by Andy Chambers himself.

Whoa, I want these too.
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 13, 2009, 12:10:13 pm »

It's been twenty years since these books were written.  Through all of it's staff rotations since, Games Workshop has managed to spend two decades spinning it's wheels on the same damn story.  Wow.

That can't be right. Originally, orks were supposed to engage in sexual reproduce, like male orks go "looking for sumthing" (female orks).

Now, orks reproduce via spores. Asexual reproduction. And now Orks have no gender.

That's AN IMPORTANT STORYLINE SHIFT, Aqizzar. It demonize Orks, by showing that Orks are incapable of loving people of the same species.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 13, 2009, 12:28:32 pm »

Urrrrrrrr, Da ladz goin' out wiv GURLS? Dat's gay dat iz.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 13, 2009, 12:51:21 pm »

There supposedly are female orks/orcs as seen in bloodbowl
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
cheerleaders etc. later editions have only male orks as in the entier galaxy all females have died off suddenly (hence the total preoccupation with war)

In gorkamorka etc orks have been stated as very hard to eradicate as their bodies sporulate and eventually adult orcs will emerge again from the ground.

My best guess would be for orcs/orks to have several reproductive cycles/methods. sexual through adult biped vertebrate greenskins and a base level fungal reproductive cycle. given the orc tendency for total annihilation warfare and the oldone/zoat warorganism theories, such a fallback option is only logical.

=====
Back to 40K ratmen: ratmarines!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:54:11 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 199