Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171178 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #690 on: October 06, 2009, 06:33:38 pm »

So what is the idea behind this whole "Starchild" thing anyways? If it's true, why don't they let the Emperor die? If he is revived then the issue of losing space travel isn't really that much of a problem.

And is the Starchild theory related to the sacrifice of the Emperor's children?

Finally, where are these children anyways? Shouldn't they be out saving the universe or something, instead of just sitting around doing nothing?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 06, 2009, 06:43:06 pm »

Always thought the Emprah was a Highlander ripoff, immortal, omnipotent and infertile.

starchild gives me fear and terror as it reminds me of BSG 80's.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: October 06, 2009, 06:43:29 pm »

So what is the idea behind this whole "Starchild" thing anyways? If it's true, why don't they let the Emperor die? If he is revived then the issue of losing space travel isn't really that much of a problem

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Emperor_of_Mankind#The_Star_Child

The thing you must keep in mind that it may not be true. The Star Child theory was detailed in 3rd Edition and seemingly dropped from the fluff after that, suggesting that the greatest Chaos God of them all (Games Workshop) didn't like the idea. The Inquisition sees the followers of the Star Child as just being pawns of Tzneetch. And besides, killing off the Emperor so that he come back to life seems rather...dubious. Why would The Emperor ask to go onto the Golden Throne then and be a corpse, rather than just succumb to his injuries and get reborn anew?

EDIT: I just realized the name of the book that revealed the Emperor as an Old One: Xenology. Not Xenobiology. Sorry for that.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:45:16 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 06, 2009, 06:49:01 pm »

After reading the 40K condensed, I have a question: what is GRIMDARK?

Also:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Huh. Either my comparison is spot on despite my ignorance or this is just a passing relation to how they look.

Warhammer 40k's tagline is "In the grim darkness of the 41st millennium, there is only war."

Grim darkness

Grim dark

Grimdark.

It's a joke term for how ridiculously dark and gothic the fluff is.
Shoes...

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: October 06, 2009, 06:50:17 pm »

And no, the Star Child is not related to the the Sensei (the name for the Emperor's Children, where'd you get the infertile idea from?)

They have literally no presence in the warp, so the Emperor and other psykers can't sense them, as well as being immune to the beings of Chaos. They are also rebellious at heart, and so are seen as a threat by the Imperium. The Inquisition hunts them down and tries to kill them, seeing them as heretics. As I said before, the Illuminati protect the Sensei, telling them it's for the final battle against Chaos. In reality, they want to sacrifice them all to the Emperor at once, rebirthing him as the Sensei Emperor. The Sensei do pop up here and there, leading various rebellions (or so the Lexicanum tells me).
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 06, 2009, 06:56:38 pm »

i don't recall. it may have been inferred from the need to clone himself to create (and modify) the primarchs. I recall a tale about his life before the crusades, that might have been the source of the infertile idea.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: October 06, 2009, 06:59:45 pm »

Although the Lexicanum says the Emperor used his genetic material, it also said they were genetically engineered - I don't think they were exact copies.

Also, it appears that the Primarchs got scattered when the forces of Chaos found them, prior to their maturing. Given that the forces of Chaos were messing with them during childhood, I'm surprised only half got corrupted later on.

EDIT: Does it count as childhood when you're growing inside a tank? Still, my point stands. Also, whatever happned to the two Unknown Primarchs must've been pretty bad - they were deleted from archives BEFORE the Horus Heresy.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:04:03 pm by deadlycairn »
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: October 06, 2009, 07:03:41 pm »

I have a question.

Do the Culexus naturally have giant heads or is that some kind of apparatus attached to their head?
Shoes...

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 06, 2009, 07:12:05 pm »

I have a question.

Do the Culexus naturally have giant heads or is that some kind of apparatus attached to their head?
LOOK ITS CTHULHU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although the Lexicanum says the Emperor used his genetic material, it also said they were genetically engineered - I don't think they were exact copies.

Also, it appears that the Primarchs got scattered when the forces of Chaos found them, prior to their maturing. Given that the forces of Chaos were messing with them during childhood, I'm surprised only half got corrupted later on.

EDIT: Does it count as childhood when you're growing inside a tank? Still, my point stands. Also, whatever happned to the two Unknown Primarchs must've been pretty bad - they were deleted from archives BEFORE the Horus Heresy.
That is what I said!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: October 06, 2009, 07:15:37 pm »

Thanks for that well-thought-out and relevant response to my question, Org.
Shoes...

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: October 06, 2009, 07:18:44 pm »

Attachment

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 06, 2009, 07:29:53 pm »

I have a question.

It's an apparatus. If i recall correctly it's their Animus Speculum (the weapon they use against Psykers), but i could be mistaken.

Also, those of you suggesting that the Tyranids are an Old One bioweapon, no, no they're not. We don't know anything about the origins on the Tyranids.

The Orks are the Old One bioweapon. The Old Ones made the Orks to combat the Necrons, which is why the Orks are the only race in the Galaxy that does not fear death. It's also why if they ever unite they can single-handedly beat down everyone else in the Galaxy; but with the Old Ones dead it's unlikely they'll ever unite.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 06, 2009, 07:52:56 pm »

Who said the Old Ones died out?

They just retreated.

But... yeah.
Isn't human the only psyker-race to NOT be used as anything by the Old Ones?

DID OLD ONES MADE THEM? OR NOT?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 06, 2009, 07:55:33 pm »

In fantasy they did. created all the races as spychic troops.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 06, 2009, 08:01:23 pm »

The Old Ones got pretty desperate in their fights against the Necrontyr; the Necrontyr were winning, big time, the Nightbringer was systematically traumatising every form of proto-life in the galaxy, the Deciever was playing everyone against everyone else and showing the Eldar how it's done, the Void Dragon was coming up with more and more new and betterer superweapons to slaughter everything and the Outsider was dancing around on the corpses of other C'tan, the Eldar were coming up blank and even lost one of their gods when he went mano-e-mano with the Nightbringer, they tried to make use of almost everything, the Orks were their last ditch effort basically, and in theory might have won them the war, except the Enslavers came and rendered the whole thing moot, the Old Ones vanished, the Necrontyr went into hybernation, the Eldar orgied themselves their own personal Chaos God and the Orks fractured without any form of coherant leadership and became the plague they are today.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 199