Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171146 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #630 on: October 05, 2009, 05:56:51 pm »

I read a couple combat logs on a forum describing the list in action.  It could single handedly mop the floor against a combined force of twice it's point value, with less than half of them actually dieing in the process.

the problem is the need for playbalance in the game. 

theres somewhere on the order of a million marines in the imperium, and they should probalby play like the moviemarines.  but nobody wants to have to field a hundred orks and gretchen to play a battle that represents the books.  that went out of style in 2nd ed.

the same is basically true for the other armies, as well.  everyone investing in an army wants to think they are the galaxies own special little badasses, so everything has to be point balanced for roughly even games.

real grognards play games with strict victory conditions though, and have no qualms about playing a scenario twice with the sides reversed to see who does it better.  balanced armies arent as important then.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 05, 2009, 06:20:09 pm »

I've always wondered: is the Emperor self-aware, as in he can talk and actually give commands? Or is he just basically a corpse that still serves a purpose, so they won't throw it away? And more importantly, wouldn't it make sense to just consolidate all the Imperium's forces in a small area, then let the Emperor die? This would cut off the use of psychic abilities, of course, but it would also allow the Emperor to be reborn and to save them all from their inevitable fate that will never come.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 05, 2009, 06:29:55 pm »

And more importantly, wouldn't it make sense to just consolidate all the Imperium's forces in a small area, then let the Emperor die? This would cut off the use of psychic abilities, of course, but it would also allow the Emperor to be reborn and to save them all from their inevitable fate that will never come.

Well no, because it takes a thousand or so psykers a day to power the Emperor's throne thing, which by extension makes interstellar travel at all possible.  And to round up that number of psykers, for that and myriad other purposes, requires the Imperium's damn huge population.  Basically the Imperium has to be gigantic to support it's gigantic size.  It's a vicious cycle of all empires.

I've always wondered: is the Emperor self-aware, as in he can talk and actually give commands? Or is he just basically a corpse that still serves a purpose, so they won't throw it away?

Wars have been fought (about four to be precise) to answer this question.  Basically, it's better to just not know.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 05, 2009, 06:41:54 pm »

White Dwarf did another variation on the Movie Marines not too long ago where they tried to work out what the Space Marines would be like on the tabletop if they matched the fluff.

The end result was that if you fielded a Space Marine army in a 1000 point game, you'd get about 5 Marines. That turned out to be about right balance-wise.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 05, 2009, 08:29:56 pm »

You'd have to amp up the Necrons as well to fit more with there OHGODWE'REALLGONNADIE-ness in the fluff.

Similarly, the Eldar would all save on a roll of 1 or higher, because of their Farseers predicting everything.

And IG would be about the same, except you'd have one unit composed of a sergeant and about five guardsmen who could singlehandedly take down an Ork WAAAGH.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 05, 2009, 08:35:00 pm »

And IG would be about the same, except you'd have one unit composed of a sergeant and about five guardsmen who could singlehandedly take down an Ork WAAAGH.

Surely you've seen the old Schaffer's Last Chancers list.  13 models that can take on armies.  Or there's Codex: Catachans, who are effectively invincible so long as your gameboard has trees.  Or the Tanith 1st and Only rules.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 05, 2009, 09:05:25 pm »

I've seen the Catachans, but of course that's to be expected. A Catachan army is composed entirely out of John Rambo, in plural. I don't think I've seen the Last Chancers or 1st and Only though.

Also: I MADE A GRAMMATICAL ERROR IN THE OTHER POST RAEG
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 05, 2009, 09:09:22 pm »

AUGH I'M HUMAN AND NOT A MACHINE RAEG.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 05, 2009, 09:11:59 pm »

Do like me, immediately reread your post and rapidly edit it five or six times, cursing the web service to move faster so nobody quotes your error and the post doesn't get marked as edited.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 05, 2009, 09:51:44 pm »

Do like me, immediately reread your post and rapidly edit it five or six times, cursing the web service to move faster so nobody quotes your error and the post doesn't get marked as edited.

I do that too!

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 05, 2009, 10:15:01 pm »

I do that too!

So do I!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 05, 2009, 10:17:10 pm »

I do it too...
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 05, 2009, 10:21:04 pm »

Holy crap, the one time I read this thread I see something relevant to me.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 05, 2009, 10:25:13 pm »

I am the Baron of the Forum.  There is no topic I cannot construct communion upon.  Welcome, one and all.

Edited four times.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 05, 2009, 10:32:35 pm »

Four times for one sentence? Ok that's probably a leetle more intensive than what i do.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 199