Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171119 times)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #585 on: October 03, 2009, 08:08:08 pm »

You could use a mechanised Guard army, lots of Chimeras modelled to look like ships, and rough riders on little hover-rowboats or some other rot.

Then again, it's your call, Chap.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 03, 2009, 08:11:50 pm »

Goddammit, I said I want to use Chaos Space Marines for pirates and that's exactly what I'm doing.  Fuck, in the old 3.5 edition codex and the website section that went with it specifically said "hey, you can just make kick ass unaligned space pirates if you want to".  Don't get me wrong, I love the fuck out of the Guard as should be clear by now, but I want to do it with Marines.

That said, I never even considered using Ork bits, let alone Ork figures, to grunge up the army's look.  The Assault on Blackreach set is a (relatively) measly $75, and comes with like $200 worth of Marine and Ork figures, plus a rulebook and templates.  Which would be a terrific head start.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 03, 2009, 08:25:03 pm »

Orks and Marines are generally the easiest and cheapest armies to acquire. Orks are especially good for modding things, because they're so unbelievably cheap per capita. Invariably if you see somone customising something, he's using Orks or IG, because you can get about 3x as many models for the same cost if you buy Orks or IG.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 03, 2009, 08:57:16 pm »

I want Ork Freebootaz now. :I

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 03, 2009, 09:08:15 pm »

Goddammit, I said I want to use Chaos Space Marines for pirates and that's exactly what I'm doing.  Fuck, in the old 3.5 edition codex and the website section that went with it specifically said "hey, you can just make kick ass unaligned space pirates if you want to".  Don't get me wrong, I love the fuck out of the Guard as should be clear by now, but I want to do it with Marines.

That said, I never even considered using Ork bits, let alone Ork figures, to grunge up the army's look.  The Assault on Blackreach set is a (relatively) measly $75, and comes with like $200 worth of Marine and Ork figures, plus a rulebook and templates.  Which would be a terrific head start.

Aren't there canonical CSM pirate bands? Also I think one of the codices mentions that individual CSM's sometimes become rulers of places.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 04, 2009, 12:30:34 am »

There are Renegade chapters of Space Marines that are neither Chaos nor Imperial, some of which are basically pirates.
!!&!!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 04, 2009, 02:25:44 am »

Soul Drinkers.

Not pirates, but still.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 04, 2009, 01:31:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoilered for size
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:06:42 pm by Org »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 04, 2009, 02:53:42 pm »

one thing i've wonder about 40k is, were the hell are the women?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 04, 2009, 02:58:21 pm »

They're all either SPESS ELFS Eldar or Sororitas, apparently.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 04, 2009, 02:59:00 pm »

In the sister of battle.

WAR NUS!
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 04, 2009, 03:05:56 pm »

that sounds like a double standard from hell.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 04, 2009, 03:08:41 pm »

or the women are all in the ordo assinorium, or whatever it is.  with their nipples hanging out of strategically placed slashes in their shiney latex catsuits.

the general lack of women is understandable though.  it may have been someone on this forum (or maybe the old Black Industries forums) that suggested that WH40K was the gayest thing since Tom of Finland.  what with all the well-muscled blond soldierboys and their pouty lower lips being all pimped out like some kind of space nazi's wet dream.

i like the game as much as anyone, but you got to admit.  its a little queer.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 04, 2009, 03:14:23 pm »

"were am i going?"
"to become a sister of battle"
"what about my brother?"
"I guess he'll live in the slums, become a IG and then die horribly."
" :'("

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: October 04, 2009, 03:54:55 pm »

There's plenty of lip service to the Imperial Guard being made up of women as well, at least on some planets, but the artwork of course does absolutely nothing to reinforce the notion.  The Imperium is populated by a bizarre humanoid species that reproduces 9:1 male to female and everyone is born at 35 years old.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 199