Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171051 times)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #480 on: October 01, 2009, 06:37:16 pm »

What's the range?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 01, 2009, 07:33:22 pm »

NO! make EVERY gaunt a spinegaunt!

They Instakill most infantry, and do Penatrating shots only on vehicles! The BEST ranged in the game!

Err what?
A spinegaunt has a range of 12", AP 5 and gun strength of 3, though it is twin linked. You get what you pay for though, they are only 5 points a dude.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 01, 2009, 08:05:08 pm »

I played one game as Nids. I took some spinegaunt as shields, and I think devourer gaunts as the main force. I took Gargoyles, and Spore Mines(amazing!), a Lictor, 3 Zoanthropes, and 5 Warriors. It worked pretty well. We tied a Cities of Death(we as in my friend and I, both Nids, versus a Nasty team of IG and Tau).

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 01, 2009, 11:08:26 pm »

Looking back at some of the old posts on a warhammer 40K forum I went to, I discovered that there was an argument. As most fluff fans know, the Emperor has beaten up the Void Dragon (one of the C'tans of the Necron) and imprisoned him on Mars for 10,000 years, which allowed for the Adeptus Mecanicum to slowly gain knowledge from the Void Dragon. This passage comes from Mechanicum, and describes what the Void Dragon's cavern now looks like:

It exists beneath the Noctis Labyrinth in the form of an empty cavern of great size with walls of silver. The room is literally immeasurable, as physical laws warp and bend to the point of being meaningless inside. The air itself is malevolently sentient, and one can feel the hate and anger of the bound god all around them, driving most insane.

I was confused on this phrase. There does seem to be four possible ways to interpret this:
1) This is a figure of speech. The air itself is not really malevolently sentient. This is what a majority of forum goers believe in (and thus, is the most likely theory).
2) The Void Dragon has the power to warp the air around him, thereby turning the air sentient.
Quote from: Akatsuki13
But I should point out the Void Dragon was sealed within that place for thousands and thousands of years. And C'tan do emit powerful aruas that effect those that come into contact with them. It can be assumed that because it was trapped there, that over time, the VD's arua soaked into the chamber and changed it.
3) The air is filled with nanites which communicate with each other wirelessly, thereby causing for the air to be sentient.
Quote from: Pyro Paul
Air does not automatically mean an atmosphere of Nitrogen, oxygen, and carbondioxide. Air is any atmosphere which exists in a gas like state. As far as we know, the entire cavern could be filled with microscopic nanites working on a massive network. The nanites would be one massive networked machine when counted as whole, however each individual nanite has enough space inbetween each other to exist in an air like state. this would quite litterally make the air sentient. and because it is probably networking wirelessly, as you pass through the atmosphere, you would unwittingly intercept the messages or emotions on the network.
4)
Quote from: Guardsman
But I will go into another direction: the cavern metallic walls are a sort of sleeping/ partially uncontrolled necrodermis (it is made of advanced living metal, ie. nanites) while the malevolent presence in the air is the sentient physical phenomena known as "C'than", bound in a form lot smaller than his natural one, but still more rarefied than a full necrodermis incarnum.

Ever wondered from where the Callidus C'than's phase blades come?

Since there are four possible ways the air could be sentient, I ask you guys to help solve this delimma. Please?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 11:11:38 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 01, 2009, 11:27:45 pm »

Maybe the air is, itself, the Void Dragon, like the third guy seems to be positing?

I mean, he's a Star God, maybe Mars itself is his body.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 01, 2009, 11:29:07 pm »

We won't know until GW release more information. I'd imagine it's probably a figure of speech, but i wouldn't put it past the Void Dragon to saturate the air with nanites. Remember that the Void Dragon is the techy C'tan, he's the one who created most of the Necron technology, he's also somewhat of a free thinker, i certainly wouldn't put it past him to be chilling out down there calmly inventing new machines and technologies with which to wage war upon mankind.

We already know that the Callidus Assassins make use of C'tan Phase Swords, which are based off the Necrodermis tech, so presumably the swords are forged from the inert Necrodermis that lines the chamber. It's also been repeatedly shown that the Void Dragon and the Deciever have been each slowly 'infesting' mankind, the Deciever through political agendas, the Void Dragon through technology.

Ultimately, we won't know until GW tells us, but it seems likely that the Imperium is in deep shit, with Necrons, Chaos and Tyranids on the inside, and Necrons, Chaos and Tyranids on the outside.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 01, 2009, 11:31:24 pm »

It's also possible that the Necrodermis around the chamber is in fact the Void Dragon himself. Remember that in their natural form C'tan are energy beings that leech off stars, their energy forms can be placed and stored inside Necrodermis 'shells' and indeed are completely unharmed should the shells be destroyed (as seen when the Eldar God whatshisface struck down the Nightbringer, who promptly floated back to the Necrontyr world and got himself a new body.) So it's entirely possible that the Void Dragon's body is in fact the chamber itself and that the reason the air has a malevolant sentience is because, as Vester just said, the Void Dragon is in fact in the air in it's energy form.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 02, 2009, 03:23:51 pm »

Omnissah=Void Dragon

Most likely, In case you didn't know.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 02, 2009, 03:42:18 pm »

When they say Emperor imprisoned Void Dragon for 10k years, do they mean that the imprisonment has been going on for 10k years and is still going on, or that the imprisonment can only last 10k years? Same question for enthronement of the Emperor, ie is he about to completely leave material world?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 02, 2009, 03:43:34 pm »

Neither.  Warhammer 40k's plot never advances, so the emperor will never die and the void dragon will never be released.
Shoes...

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 02, 2009, 04:25:03 pm »

Probably, if GW meant that there was a nanite swarm in the air that made it sentient, they would have said so. Probably, Neruz is correct, and the Void Dragon, being a pure energy being, is something insubstantial.

But yeah, me and a friend of mine discussed this sort of stuff a while back. It seems like mankind is utterly screwed. They could beat all of Chaos back into the warp, they could somehow manage to purge the Necrons, vaporize every last Ork, and turn the Tau and Eldar planets into balls of nuclear fire, and the galaxy would still, eventually, be eaten clean by Tyranids, not because they're much more powerful than any other force in particular, but because if they really wanted to take it, every square inch of the galaxy, between the stars included, could be packed completely full with Tyranids, and that still wouldn't be a dent in their total numbers.
!!&!!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 02, 2009, 04:33:40 pm »

While I appreciate the imagery and ethos of the Tyranids, the idea that they're swarming and massive enough to scour all life from the galaxy strikes me as so implausible to just be lazy in terms of grimdarkery.  Just ponder a moment what a stupidly huge amount of bugs it would take to do spread over an entire galaxy within a even an Imperial timescale.  Then what kind of energy ecology it would take to sustain such a swarm.

I prefer to think that the "holyshit 'Nids everywhere they're gonna eat the galaxy" is just how the Imperium perceives them as a threat.  They have been beaten before after all.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 02, 2009, 04:55:04 pm »

While I appreciate the imagery and ethos of the Tyranids, the idea that they're swarming and massive enough to scour all life from the galaxy strikes me as so implausible to just be lazy in terms of grimdarkery.  Just ponder a moment what a stupidly huge amount of bugs it would take to do spread over an entire galaxy within a even an Imperial timescale.  Then what kind of energy ecology it would take to sustain such a swarm.

I prefer to think that the "holyshit 'Nids everywhere they're gonna eat the galaxy" is just how the Imperium perceives them as a threat.  They have been beaten before after all.

If I may make a Halo reference, the Humans beat the Covenant dozens of times throughout the war. Does that mean they weren't a threat? Fuck no, the Covenant really did literally wipe all life from Human space.

If this happened in Halo, then it sure as hell could happen in the galactic-war-tropes-blown-to-massive-proportions game that is 40k.

And even if they couldn't do that, the Tyranids are still a massive threat. Anything that can destroy the entire First Company of a Space Marines chapter is capable of doing much worse. If not for the sake of game balance, I imagine that any IG vs. Nids matches would take about 3 turns, before the tens of thousands of Tyranids steamrolled the hundreds of thousands of Imperial Guard, who are too busy running away and being shot at by Commissars to actually fight back.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 02, 2009, 05:07:13 pm »

The problem is that the tyranids have already completely scoured a galaxy of life.  The hive fleets currently attacking are just the first ones to get to us.  I read somewhere that there's a hive fleet for every star system, they're all just on their way.  As for how such a swarm would sustain itself, rule of cool.
Shoes...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 02, 2009, 07:26:47 pm »

Therefore the only things that could possibly stand against a Tyranid invasion are the fully awakened Necrons or a galaxy spanning Ork WAAAAGH.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 199