Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170928 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #270 on: September 22, 2009, 05:35:57 am »

Ah, I couldn't make my own chapter. I'm just going to say something about acting Chapter Master or something. Actually, I checked what Pedro looks like and he looks similar to the cookie cutter Chapter Master if you include the headgear, which I have, but not close enough to convince people. Still, warp displacement, inner-inner Chapter, acting Chapter Master, Champion double something something. It's 40K, shit happens and I want my orbital bombardment.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 22, 2009, 05:37:44 am »

Ooooh man, was putting together the Tac squad my friend gave me.

I hope you guys fucked up with the glue the first time too. I'd hate to be alone in this.

Goddamn rocket launcher.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 22, 2009, 05:44:00 am »

You're going to do that a lot.  I remember the first (and last) time I tried to put together some figures, I practically had to justify my allegiance to Tzeentch as an explanation for why my soldiers were all so malformed.

Regarding making up a chapter, let us help!  Me especially, I'm great at this.  A while ago, I started writing a story to sublimate my love of the Imperial Guard, after I realized that every time I opened the codex I'd come up with another army concept, complete with background fluff.  I'm up to nine armies and counting.

What do want your Chapter to look like?  C'mon, we'll make a project out of it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 22, 2009, 05:53:16 am »

Vital thing to remember when doing plastic minitures; you only need the tiniest bit of glue possible. The plastic pieces are so silly light less than a drop will quite happily hold them together after about 5 - 10 seconds of blowing on the joint.

Also; stick the pieces together at least once without using glue so you can see how it's all supposed to go. I've gotten so used to glueing Necron Warriors together i can do it by memory, but all the other minitures i always stick each piece in it's correct place and work out how it's going to go before i glue it. Saved me hours of frustration that has.

Even so, you'll still make mistakes. Since you're dealing with plastic and superglue you usually just have to run with it. Some of my best Orks were done after i fucked them up and started carving pieces off and sticking green goo all over the place to try and make them look right (one of my Wierdboyz looks like he has a third arm glued onto his back, because, well, he has a third arm glued onto his back.)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 22, 2009, 05:54:44 am »

Hey, that sounds kind of fun.

Looks? Honestly, I don't want to look flashy. I don't like the colors split down the middle style of thing, so I'm thinking very subdued colors, with one or two ones that stand out.

Grey, black or dark blue/green are a few things I'm thinking of. Color scheme would be a copy of the Black Templars.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 22, 2009, 06:01:59 am »

As if a color scheme is all you need.  I meant "looks" as in what are they like?  Where are they from?  We're making a whole Chapter here, names, history, heroes, and of course a color scheme.  A great place to start - The Interactive Space Marine Painter.  I'll try some gray and dark colored armors, since I'm bored.

(one of my Wierdboyz looks like he has a third arm glued onto his back, because, well, he has a third arm glued onto his back.)

Oh, those wacky Painboyz.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 22, 2009, 06:02:42 am »

I see. Fluff writing time!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 22, 2009, 06:09:11 am »

That painter thing is kinda fun.

Do you plan on using metallized paints Jackrabbit? Or bright shiny colors? Once you've worked out a scheme it's important to decide because you need to use different base-coats (metallized paints work best on a black base, bright colors work best on a white base. This makes painting models that combine the two a bitch.)

Another fun thing you can use is washes, which are a great way to bring out little details without having to actually paint them.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 22, 2009, 06:14:08 am »

I figure, metallic paints.

But I have no idea. I'm still working on a name.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 22, 2009, 06:15:08 am »

You could make the armor full gray with a green wash or something, which would give them an ancient, corroded look.  In light of the Crimson Fists starting point, I say keep the red hands (or just one hand), and call them a successor chapter or something.

Although I just realize now that the scheme looks more like half-assed Christmas Marines.  Whatever.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 22, 2009, 06:42:22 am »

Aqizza I don't see anything in the spoiler box...

Oh and JR making your own chapter can be as easy as just painting them differently and coming up with a new name. Or you can go all out and right up a background and keep to a theme.

I made a chapter based off of the Iron Hands chapter (who were origanally the yellow guys, can't remember name). They're essentually more borgy than other chaptrers, I've also included a few techpriest (suplement books ftw!), but I wont bore you with fluff on background and stuff.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 22, 2009, 06:44:26 am »

Hope you didn't lose everything Aqizzar. Link's busted.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 22, 2009, 07:04:36 am »

Splinter Chapter of the Crimson Fists, invent yourself a fun planet name and have it get caught up in a Warpstorm, a number of the Crimson Fists were on-planet at the time and have spent the past five-thousand years fighting the endless hordes of Chaos (despite the Warpstorm only lasting for ~100 years outside. Time goes all mushy in Warpstorms :D ), when the Warpstorm was over the sun finally rose on a planet blasted down literally to the bedrock, with great seas of semi-molten magma where the endless battle and Warp energies had torn open the crust to reveal the mantle below. The surviving Marines were heroes, but were also all but unrecognisable as former Crimson Fists, having developed their own unique attitudes during the five millennia of slaughter.

There you go, basic backstory, that's about all you really need. If you want you can then go into more detail, but unless you're a lore-nut you only need a paragraph like that to satisfy the other lore-nuts and prevent them from biting you.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 22, 2009, 07:17:48 am »

You have given me an idea.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 22, 2009, 07:28:21 am »