Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170908 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2009, 08:43:40 pm »

You mean 18" right? Or do you mean 6" move + 18" range? Because Avenger Shuriken Catapults are 18" assault Bolters

Oh yeah, 18".  I'm an idiot and was remembering the 3.5 edition Eldar codex.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2009, 03:08:07 am »

I use Elder, I lost a lot of battles intill I could work out how to use them...

...and when I got some wraith lords/superscorpion tanks.

I'm thinking about chaos spacemarines next, anyone use them?
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2009, 03:51:06 am »

I startred a Nurgle army once, was about 10 though, so they looked so-so.

Speaking of that, how many other people have seen models "painted" by being dipped in bright pink paint?

Theres about ten people here who even TRY to paint them properly.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 18, 2009, 06:52:08 am »

I spray my Necrons black, then silver, then do any details in gold before giving them a green wash and glue some mossy bits onto them. Simple, quick, and looks really nice.

My Orks is spray white, then green, then paint any non-green bits gray or whatever color i grab first. Results in a really ramshackle looking army which fits the Orks perfectly. Plus again; is easy.

I do my custom models with a bit more care, because they're awesome; the standard models i only really have so i can play gaems.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 18, 2009, 07:13:55 am »

Wow, the Fighting Tigers page is really useful.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 18, 2009, 07:28:15 am »

Yeh, that's a good site, lots of useful tips. I don't agree with his second thousand point toaster build, but the first one is brilliant.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2009, 07:33:38 am »

If I am to start on an assault-oriented Blood Angels army, do you think buying 2 x Assault on Black Reach for a starter is a good idea?

Compared to buying 2 x Space Marine Battleforce set, I lose:
- 2 x Rhinos
- Tactical Squad (10 marines)
- Assault Squad (10 marines)
- Scout Squad (10 marines)

but I gain:
- 2 x Dreadnaughts
- 2 x Captain (any reason to field both???)
- 2 x Terminator Squad (5 marines each)

I calculated the cost per point (in $A):
2 x Assault on Black Reach (total cost $230) -- $0.19 just for the Space Marine models, very good value for money. I also get the Rule Book, dices, etc.
2 x Space Marine Battleforce (total cost $300) -- $0.27

Why two of each set you may ask? Because I aim to field a 1000- to 1500-point army and one set is not enough. Any advise is welcome.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:36:51 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2009, 07:36:13 am »

Advice:

Don't. Go. Smurfs.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2009, 07:36:20 am »

A word of warning about that Fighting Tigers site.  It's been up since 1999, and the host has said he doesn't care to go back and purge or rewrite outdated pages.  If you're reading any kind of gameplay related article, check the posting date at the bottom.  It might be for the 3rd or 4th edition or an outdated codex.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2009, 07:38:33 am »

Advice:

Don't. Go. Smurfs.

You mean do play as Ultramarines? I'm not planning to. They are too plain for me.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2009, 07:39:19 am »

RHIIIINNOOO RUUUSSSSHHH!

And by Smurfs he means Space Marines in general; they're often looked down on by all non-Space Marine players due to GW's ovbious and gargantuan boner for Space Marines, often resulting in them getting things that are just plain unfair.

Point for point, most SM stuff is just plain better than everyone elses stuff. The exceptions are few and far between.

This is, however, a long standing topic of heated discussion, often bringing similar levels of screaming fury to the table as a thread about Athiesm on a Christian forum, and is a topic often avoided by sane people. Those of us smart enough to do the math know that SMs are basically overpowered, but also smart enough to know that the dice add a sufficient randomising power that it doesn't matter as much as you might think, and that even smurfies have weaknesses you can exploit if you know what you're dooing.

--EDIT--

Now that i think about it, he might mean Ultramarines. Been awhile since i've heard anyone actually use the 'smurf' reference. SM's in general tend to get referred to as substantially less pleasant things by most of the non SM players i know.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:44:09 am by Neruz »

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2009, 07:46:44 am »

I meant all marines. Ultras are the most popular, and the most iconic.

I don't think they are overpowered, i just believe they are overused.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2009, 07:48:31 am »

Oh, got you. I'm aware how mainstream Space Marines are. I don't usually go mainstream, but they (Blood Angels) are the most appealing race (chapter) to me, not because of the fact they're overpowered, but because of their background and combat doctrine.

I don't like playing horde (Imperial Guard, 'Nids and Orks), Eldar is too colourful to my liking, and Tau, well, I just don't like their designs. Chaos Space Marine is another good candidate but I'm not familiar with them.

With 50% of WH40K players using Space Marines, this army will most likely fight another Space Marine chapters anyway.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2009, 07:49:00 am »

I don't see why if somethings popular, it's 'overused'. If you like it and it works for you, ignore all the cries of "unoriginality". Would that I had (IT TOOK ME THREE EDITS TO WRITE HAD WHYWHYWHY) realized this sooner.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 18, 2009, 07:54:39 am »

I don't see why if somethings popular, it's 'overused'. If you like it and it works for you, ignore all the cries of "unoriginality". Would that I had (IT TOOK ME THREE EDITS TO WRITE HAD WHYWHYWHY) realized this sooner.

Certain people have pride for not going mainstream, for being different, myself included, so it's understandable. But yes, I'm sticking to Blood Angels.  ;)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 199