Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170831 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2009, 03:43:21 am »

Do people now play based on Second Founding chapters exclusively or also based on First Founding chapters as well?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2009, 03:46:31 am »

Both, methinks, but the Crimson Fists appeal to me.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2009, 03:48:26 am »

WANTS ME A LAND RAIDER.

But apparently they cost a bomb. So I'm thinking one rhino, one terminator squad, two tac squads and a captain.

For starters.

It's Warhammer; everything costs a bomb. If you don't have money coming out of your ears i recommend a different hobby.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2009, 03:53:53 am »

I'll live.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2009, 04:03:11 am »

Oh boy, army design time.  First thing's first, how do you want your army to be "balanced"?  Part of the reason for playing Space Marines is that it's pretty hard for their armies to be unbalanced, since they can do everything (except for that thin-on-the-ground) problem.

Since I love paper-building armies, let's toss some ideas around.

Spoiler: Possible List (click to show/hide)

As you might guess, I've a head for figures and systems, and this is something of a hobby to me.  If you've got any questions or comments let'm fly.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2009, 04:10:55 am »

Sounds great. Even though I have both the codex and rules now, I still haven't read them through totally, so I'll just nod to whatever you say, but that sounds about right for what I want.

How much would all that cost, do you think?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2009, 04:14:35 am »

According to the Games Workshop listings, about $170 total (sans tax and shipping if you buy from them, and stores may vary).  If you wanted to fill out the list with that Assault Squad I mentioned, you could get the Battleforce set.  That would net you all the models, only cost $160 total, and you'd get some Scouts to boot (you can always use more loose bits).  Of course, you'll need paint and supplies and so forth, but I'm sure you can figure that out later.

EDIT: Actually I'm a little wrong, you'd be five Tactical Marines short going the battleforce route, but that's just an extra $15 for another Combat Squad box.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 04:17:40 am by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 17, 2009, 04:19:40 am »

Cheaper than I thought. I think I'll go with that and get paint later. Well, that works. Thanks!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 17, 2009, 05:10:49 am »

Yeah, the basic stuff isn't that expensive, especially not for GW's love interest faction. It's when you start pulling out the more entertaining pieces or be anyone that isn't Space Marines that prices shoot through da roof.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 17, 2009, 05:11:47 am »

You know what, Aqizzar, reading that list kinda inspires me to get my own 500-to-1000 points Space Marine army as well. Not anytime soon, but within a year, once I have the funding. Battleforce set should be a good starter for me.

I'm still undecided on the chapter, though. I admit I'm not that familiar with WH40K, but I'm looking for a chapter(s) that relies on hard-hitting, deep-striking infantry. Blood Angels and Raven Guards fit that role, don't they?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2009, 05:25:37 am »

It's been awhile since i built a Space Marine army, but if memory serves Blood Angels would be your best bet for your hard-hitting deep-striking piss-the-other-player-off-as-much-as-possible chapter.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2009, 05:29:18 am »

Lemme answer that question by answering your other question.

Do people now play based on Second Founding chapters exclusively or also based on First Founding chapters as well?

You can make your Marines any chapter you want, including ones you make up yourself.  Back before the GW website was just an online store and actually had articles, they had a gallery from some convention featuring over a hundred different DIY Marine chapters people had brought in.  Don't think you have to stick to the headliner stuff.

That said, if you want to model the "official" chapters, and that's cool too, Blood Angels do fit that description.  Also good would be the Space Wolves (who are probably getting their own book again soon) and the Imperial Fists, if you can tolerate a bright yellow army.  Of course, it's important to remember that all of the chapters work exactly the same way in terms of rules and units.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2009, 05:44:07 am »

Yes, I checked the Imperial Fists, but bright yellow doesn't do it for me and the Crimson Fists are directly connected to them anyway.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 17, 2009, 05:47:43 am »

Thanks for the answers. I like to be canon, so yes, I'm going to use the official chapter. I'm actually reading the codex for Blood Angels (goodbye study for Saturday's exam!) and I'm falling for them. I like both their background, special rules, and colours.

I'm not sure I understand this sentence of yours, Aqizzar:

Of course, it's important to remember that all of the chapters work exactly the same way in terms of rules and units.

Doesn't each chapter have its own special rules? For example, with Blood Angels, they can have one Death Company unit at zero point cost, but the number of models in the unit depends on how many other units you have in the army. Haven't read other chapters' codex, but please enlighten me on this matter.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2009, 05:54:32 am »

Doesn't each chapter have its own special rules? For example, with Blood Angels, they can have one Death Company unit at zero point cost, but the number of models in the unit depends on how many other units you have in the army. Haven't read other chapters' codex, but please enlighten me on this matter.

The Blood Angels and Dark Angels (and soon Space Wolf Angels) have their own special books yes, I forgot that.  What I mean is, if you're not using those particular codexes (and I'll warn you that some players consider them unfairly powerful) and using the basic Codex: Space Marines, there is no distinction by chapter.  The player's guide even specifically suggests painting different chapter colors in one army to justify using the different special characters, cheap marketing ploy that it is.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 199