Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170734 times)

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2940 on: July 06, 2011, 04:12:24 am »

Recent price hikes ($5 more for infantry, now up to 30 for 10 guardsmen/orks, I don't know what else) have caused me to stop buying from GW, and to switch to Infinity. I'm not going to lecture about it though. Go look it up or whatever.

However, I do have a sizable ork force that is 2000pts, so I wasn't really planning on buying much soon anyway.
Honestly, I'm waiting for GW to realize that they've fucked up, and reduce their prices.
$15 or so sounds about good for 10 infantry. Maybe $10 if they're going to be smart and advertise.

Also, 6ed is supposed to be coming out soon. I do hope they drop the 20 unneeded Space Marine codexes. Seriously, we only need one good one that allows the use of other chapters.
Also, I don't see 20 Imperial Guard codexes, even though there are more Regiments than Chapters, and more Guardsmen than Marines. I also don't see 20 Ork codexes, even though they're the most numerous race in the galaxy, not to mention the most likely to inherit the universe. I also also don't see 4 or 5 Chaos codexes, you know, one for each god? Because the chaos gods don't work together, pretty much ever, so one'd think that they'd each get their separate codex, but nooooo, we need more snowflake independent Space Marine codex, one for each Chapter.
Soon enough, there will only be Space Marines. The only exception would maybe be Grey Knights. And maybe Orks, but everybody knows they'll still be in 4ed, while the game would be in 9ed. Also by then, Matt Ward would probably be CEO or something like that.
For shame, GW. For shame.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: July 06, 2011, 04:28:16 am »

Also, 6ed is supposed to be coming out soon.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.  That can't be true.  5th edition is, what, two years old?  And now you tell me there's been price hikes?

Yeah, you're not going to get a unified Space Marines codex.  It sounds like the caricature is finally coming true: all codexes will be written in a couple hours by Matt Ward, with whatever rules he feels like pulling out of his ass; new versions of the main rules and most Marine codexes will be released every other year; and all models will be about $5 a figure and up up up.

This is the kind of thing that convinced me to stop giving a shit about Warhammer, once it became pretty obvious that nobody else was going to give a shit anymore, so what's the point.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: July 06, 2011, 12:11:38 pm »

I have heard rumors that chaos space marines will be getting split into two armies, I don't know if that is true or not, but I guess if any faction deserved
more codices, it would be chaos. Unfortunately, from what I have heard, they are both going to be marine codices.
Eldar and chaos seem to be the only two factions with more then one codex right now, so I would approve of them getting more options, but I agree, we don't need
any more marines.

I agree, the for kits is ridiculous. The madness factor is magnified for me by the annoying trend GW kits have toward not giving enough parts to
outfit units with completely. (why do I have to buy two wych kits for enough parts to outfit one squad with max razorflails/nets?) Has anyone seen the new
Storm of Magic figures? sure, that dark elf sorceress kit is great looking, and it *is* plastic, instead of finecast or metal, but it is also $13.25, for one figure,
and she doesn't even come with any optional parts. A shame, because I see a lot of potential for converting her into an archon or succubus.

I severely regret not ordering my kits before the finecast switch and the price hike. Making a Dark Eldar army is going to be even more
expensive now, I am not even sure I want to keep on going at this point.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2943 on: July 06, 2011, 12:30:34 pm »

There's been a big chunk of 6th edition rumours, including separating CSM into legions and renegades, but enough of the rumours seem unlikely enough that I'd be sceptical about them.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: July 06, 2011, 02:25:31 pm »

Well hopefully Tau will get a 6th edition codex since they didn't do a 5th for them.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: July 07, 2011, 02:09:12 am »

Really, 6th ed already?
And the IG started shooting better than tau in 5th.
Poor tau.

Good thing I quit around when 5th came out, since gw seems to have gotten more money hungry than ever.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: July 07, 2011, 07:48:37 am »

That's quite odd. The prices over here in England haven't changed at all.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: July 07, 2011, 07:53:38 am »

Really?

I'm looking at the guardians for £20.50 and that Fire Prism for £31 which I've no idea why I caved in and bought for that much...
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: July 07, 2011, 03:27:08 pm »

Due to holiday season, my regular Dark Heresy group is now on a 2 month hiatus, anybody interested in me running a PbP game of it?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: July 07, 2011, 04:48:45 pm »

You have got to be fucking kidding me.  That can't be true.  5th edition is, what, two years old?  And now you tell me there's been price hikes?

Yeah, you're not going to get a unified Space Marines codex.  It sounds like the caricature is finally coming true: all codexes will be written in a couple hours by Matt Ward, with whatever rules he feels like pulling out of his ass; new versions of the main rules and most Marine codexes will be released every other year; and all models will be about $5 a figure and up up up.

This is the kind of thing that convinced me to stop giving a shit about Warhammer, once it became pretty obvious that nobody else was going to give a shit anymore, so what's the point.

What about the...fluff? Isn't fluff kinda important? (It's really the only thing that gets me interested; if I really want to play with action figures, I'd buy them cheaper, and if I really wanted to play space fantasy battles, I'd get cheaper rules.)
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: July 07, 2011, 05:47:42 pm »

What about the...fluff? Isn't fluff kinda important? (It's really the only thing that gets me interested; if I really want to play with action figures, I'd buy them cheaper, and if I really wanted to play space fantasy battles, I'd get cheaper rules.)

Go buy 40k fiction soft covers. Half of them are written by staffers anyways and you don't end up paying $35 for fluff and art. I love both of those things about 40k, they're what drew me into the series. But they're not enough to justify staying involved in it.

Besides. Stay with the 40k fluff long enough and you're realize it's all highly mutable, subject to retcon and relies half as much on your own interpretation as it does on any solid facts. The 40k universe hasn't changed much in the last 10 years, it's only started to pull back some of the curtains on major historical figures like Horus. But the 40k universe can't really go anywhere, no one is ever going to win or lose so....it's not like there's a constant storyline you need to keep current with. The story is all in the various crusades, treacheries and invasions.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: July 07, 2011, 07:22:18 pm »

-raeg-
Holy shit. I was going to say "five dollars a bloke? Aqizzar, using hyperbole to strengthen his point? What is this?" and then I look up and nope, they're actually doing that. I mean wow. I dunno how much they cost to make, but I'd bet my left testicle there's a liiiittle bit of disparity between it and the actual price.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: July 07, 2011, 07:31:35 pm »

You never know. Isn't half of that stuff made with a petroleum byproduct anyways? It's not inconceivable their manufacturing cost has gone up. It's just after a decade and a half of price hikes it's hard to to give them the benefit of the doubt.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:33:53 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: July 07, 2011, 07:39:47 pm »

It just seems like a lot for what amounts to a good-looking plastic model.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: July 08, 2011, 03:22:16 am »

Considering most models made out of the same stuff are much cheaper, you are pretty much buying the brand at this point.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199