Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170914 times)

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2655 on: December 08, 2010, 10:00:17 pm »

In Vassal 40K?
Rotate a piece by holding ctrl and pressing left or right.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: December 08, 2010, 10:16:23 pm »

In Vassal 40K?
Rotate a piece by holding ctrl and pressing left or right.

I prefer right clicking myself, using the ctrl shortcuts tend to make the models clone for some reason. Or at least for me it does. Anyway servers are back up, the same can't be said for the dnd site I briefly mentioned.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: December 10, 2010, 03:50:15 am »

Holy shit, I was just rereading some stuff in the rulebook reading some rules lawyers giggling and pissing themselves at their alleged genius, and one of them cited the rules on assaulting, which states that assaulting units can attack multiple targets, so long as they stay in coherency, and the first one to move moves into contact with the unit they shot at (if they shot at anything). That... makes close combat so much more awesome than I realized. :))

When you think about it, the rulebook's full of obscure but extremely important shit that most players miss completely because it's such a disorganized clusterfuck of textwalls. There's shit like aforementioned, and then there's the thing about independent characters being treated as a separate unit in an assault (which makes some deldar wargear actually make sense, like the vexator mask (which forces enemy units that could attack the bearer in close combat take a leadership test, which prevents them from attacking the bearer, though they're still allowed to attack other models)), which is a little annoying, but interesting to know nonetheless... And then there's the bullshit wound allocation rules, which are both unwieldy and let you get away with bullshit like the example for what to do, where a space mary sue unit with five soldiers takes eleven wounds, fails four saves, and loses three single wound models because five wounds were stacked on two of them. :-\
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: December 10, 2010, 04:35:15 am »

Just checking, what edition rulebook are you talking about?
As I recall, the 5th edition specifically states that you have to spread the wounds out evenly, so if you've, say, 5 one-wound models and 5 wounds, each model takes 1 wound. I should probably go check, but I don't feel like doing it right now.

While I'm here, does anyone know where I can get the Guard codex for less than the $48(Australian) it costs to get it direct from GW?

EDIT: I checked and I think I now understand what you're talking about, at least in regards to the wounds. I'm guessing it seems unfair because if the models were the same three of them would have been taken out. However, I 'd say it's not. The wounds were distributed evenly, and really all that happened was that a marine with a Bolter was guaranteed to die, the rest of the wounds being decided by chance. Perhaps, say, the unsaveable weapon was aimed at the Sergeant, then one of the squaddies was shot as he dived in front of the Melta or whatever it was, saving the life of the more important person?

Can you suggest a way of allocating wounds that is fairer, both for the attacker and the attacked? If you can't, why are you complaining?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:46:42 am by Archangel »
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: December 10, 2010, 05:48:34 am »

It's on page 25 "Complex units". The example given is five space mary sues taking 11 wounds, one from a melta and 10 from an unnamed weapon that wouldn't deny their armor saves (presumably a bolter since it shows that a 4 was enough to wound but not bypass armor, and was found in the same squad as a melta). Three wounds (including the melta) are stuck on one generic mary sue, two on everything else. The two generics take a total of three wounds (one from the melta, two from the bolters), but only two can be removed. One missile launcher fails a save, and the rest pass. So four failed or denied saves, three casualties. The fact that it's about motherfucking space marines makes it even more egregious... >:(

Now, within identical squads or groups of models, you must apply unsaved wounds to remove the maximum number of casualties, but sadly there's nothing preventing you from stacking unsaveable wounds on a single slightly different model, while everything else takes the saveable wounds, provided there are enough wounds to wrap it so that they can all be stacked like that. I suppose it's a tolerable solution to the issue of units with multiple different saves, though it shouldn't apply to units with identical saves, at least not when such would leave you with unsaved wounds that can't be applied due to too few of the exact model it was allocated to, or stacking additional wounds on top of an unsaveable one.

If "less than" includes "free", then I do, but can't well say here, for obvious reasons.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: December 10, 2010, 06:56:35 am »

Right, so you are talking about what I thought you were talking about. Forgive me if this is a stupid question (It's late here), but would you still have a problem if unsaveable wounds had to be distributed like saveable ones?

As for the example being SMs, they, or at least the ultramarine Ultramarines, are the Wesleys of 40K and marines are used in most of the examples of the core rulebook.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:59:34 am by Archangel »
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: December 10, 2010, 06:56:39 pm »

Right, so you are talking about what I thought you were talking about. Forgive me if this is a stupid question (It's late here), but would you still have a problem if unsaveable wounds had to be distributed like saveable ones?
That's the biggest problem I was talking about, that you do distribute unsaveable just as though they were saveable, when it would make more sense to not be able to stack additional wounds on unsaveable ones that would kill the model (so you could stack two unsaveable wounds on a two wound model, or one unsaveable that caused instant death).

As for the example being SMs, they, or at least the ultramarine Ultramarines, are the Wesleys of 40K and marines are used in most of the examples of the core rulebook.
Yeah, but fuck space marines. They're just shit all around. They're abhuman space monks, who lack the general badassery of the Inquisition, the resolve (they're nigh-invulnerable mutants in nearly impenetrable shells who have nothing to live for but killing shit; holding the line doesn't mean shit when they do it) and even the firepower of the Imperial Guard, or really any positive quality at all. The pinnacle of strategy for them is to walk towards the enemy (those are the things what your opponent put on the board, remember!), and maybe drop a nearly-invincible engine of destruction on top of them with their herpderp wut's deep strike mishap? drop pods. >:(

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: December 10, 2010, 07:40:09 pm »

That's the biggest problem I was talking about, that you do distribute unsaveable just as though they were saveable, when it would make more sense to not be able to stack additional wounds on unsaveable ones that would kill the model (so you could stack two unsaveable wounds on a two wound model, or one unsaveable that caused instant death).
I phrased that question badly. I meant "Would you have a problem if unsaveable wounds were distributed separately from, and in a similar manner to, saveable ones?" but, while it can be interpreted the way I intended, what I ask sounds much more like "Would you have a problem if the system was exactly the same?" which is, of course, a stupid question.

From what you've said, I'm guessing your answer is somewhere in the regions of "No" or "Not as much". Am I correct?
My full sig

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: December 10, 2010, 10:10:34 pm »

I'm not really sure what you're saying there, but given that you seem to be equating it with what I said, I suppose that's right. The thing I really don't like is that with certain squad configurations you can nullify unsaveable wounds. I've seen another example, in a discussion of whether or not a lascannon or bolter is better on a leman russ, where theoretically a squad of four marines is hit with a battle cannon shell, taking four unsaveable wounds, and then taking two wounds from the heavy bolter. The space marine player could then allocate all four battle cannon wounds to the two generic marines, while the bolter wounds go to his sergeant and special weapon marine, meaning that where the squad would have been wiped out were it just the cannon, the two most valuable ones get a good chance at surviving because the unsaveable wounds got stacked on the generics (this was an argument for using a lascannon instead of a bolter, mind you). Reading that, then the rules on the matter to confirm it, pissed me off to end. I suppose most situations won't be quite that egregious (taking less wounds by taking more >:(), but still, it's a real fucked up rule.

God, I've been browsing forgeworld for a couple of hours. At first, when I looked at the prices, my thoughts were "Oh, that's not that much more than GW." Then I saw it was in pounds... :(

Still, some of them are fucking amazing, and undoubtedly more worth their cost than the GW versions (specifically, the greater daemons; all the basic GW models look like shit (even managing to fuck up the one that's a walking blob of shit), while the Forgeworld models are, well, really what the basic ones should have looked more like. In that particular case, I suspect the basic models were intentionally made to look as terrible as possible, with the goal of driving up sales of the more expensive, non-shitty versions, especially since the rest of the base models for the daemon armies are more or less beautiful (except for fiends of slaanesh, which look like a retarded cross between an anteater and a scorpion.)).

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: December 13, 2010, 11:17:01 am »

How the hell does this thread keep sputtering out? It pops up for a few weeks, everyone gets all excited over vassal again, and then interest spontaneously evaporates.

Anyways, I'm looking at trying to get some of the new deldar models, and preferably something cheap to practice assembling and painting on before so much as touching them.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: December 13, 2010, 11:20:20 am »

Well between work and finals I haven't had much time. Even after finals (this week) not sure how much time I'll have as I should finally beable to buy stuff online without having to go through my parents so might end up spending alot of time on minecraft or something and I fully expect more hours at work.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: December 13, 2010, 11:27:37 am »

If anyone is interested in the progress of my Black Reach set, then I've filmed a short overview of the units I've put together so far.
Keep in mind, I've never constructed, painted or undertaken anything like this before in my life. I hope that adds to the pity factor when I look like a small child showing off his primitive macaroni art to a group of extremely talented artists.
If there's one thing I'm not entirely happy with, it's the skin. I should probably look up some techniques online, but everything I've done so far has totally been of my own volition and testing.

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

Also, please excuse the girlfriend playing Fallout in the background. I could not persuade her to vacate my space to film the video.

EDIT:
Anyone who's interested in the Dethkopta...
Should click here.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:07:24 pm by Detrevni|inverteD »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: December 21, 2010, 10:00:17 pm »

Well, I went to a nearby game store (and by "nearby" I mean "in the city that's on the other side of the state capital from where I live") and bought a box of wyches and the necessary paint and tools.

Just finished assembling the first one, pictures once I've got through a few more and/or managed to paint one or more of them. The new deldar pieces are fucking beautiful, I can say that much. Not that that's news, but now that I've seen the pieces in person I just feel the need to reiterate it.

Edit: wow, only on the second model and I've already managed to stab myself with my exacto knife... Well, at least it's much milder than the wounds I receive whenever I pick up one of the kittens I've got on my back porch... sharp, wiggly, little bastards...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:20:52 pm by Sir Pseudonymous »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: December 21, 2010, 10:03:52 pm »

If anyone is interested in the progress of my Black Reach set, then I've filmed a short overview of the units I've put together so far.
Keep in mind, I've never constructed, painted or undertaken anything like this before in my life. I hope that adds to the pity factor when I look like a small child showing off his primitive macaroni art to a group of extremely talented artists.
If there's one thing I'm not entirely happy with, it's the skin. I should probably look up some techniques online, but everything I've done so far has totally been of my own volition and testing.

Also, please excuse the girlfriend playing Fallout in the background. I could not persuade her to vacate my space to film the video.

EDIT:
Should click here.

They look good to me.
Shoes...

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: December 21, 2010, 11:06:09 pm »

EDIT:
Should click here.

They look good to me.

Thanks very much!
Since those were painted, I've adapted a lot of my techniques and come up with a new way to do the skin, which I'm thoroughly happy with. I used all of these techniques on the warboss that came with Black Reach, and he really does look quite nice. I plan to throw up another video of that some time very soon, so for anyone who's interested in that, it'll be there soon!

The only dampener is I went down to my "local" GW yesterday and bought well over £100 of shiny (Or, well, rusty, if you think about it) new Ork stuff, and the only part of my current Black Reach army that I'm making obsolete is the war boss in place of a Big Mek, since I'm doing Evil Sunz. Poor Ork. He'll probably take up a place on my shelf.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 199