Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170918 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2640 on: December 05, 2010, 11:30:12 pm »

For the sake of SCIENCE, I decided to play a pickup game with someone playing yiff marines, and believe I have conclusively proven that the only people who play yiff marines are complete fucktards, log spoilered for size, scroll to the end for the worst of it.

While one stutid fuckass does not conclusive proof make, you really should have expected something like that playing against a guy named WeeDawg NYC
Shoes...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: December 06, 2010, 01:48:39 am »

For the sake of SCIENCE, I decided to play a pickup game with someone playing yiff marines, and believe I have conclusively proven that the only people who play yiff marines are complete fucktards, log spoilered for size, scroll to the end for the worst of it.

While one stutid fuckass does not conclusive proof make, you really should have expected something like that playing against a guy named WeeDawg NYC
I knew he was a dipshit from the moment he opened his mouth, and my opinion fell even lower when I learned he was playing yiff marines. I just figured tearing him a new one would be entertaining, and for all intents and purposes, I'd already won by that point, because my wyches would have slaughtered his marines and the ravagers would have taken down his drop pods. He had a horrible army, but I wasn't about to let the fucker cheat.

In a much less clear cut game, I played Userpay's tyranids with a 2000 point deldar army. It was up in the air until I took down his Trygon and Zoanthropes, and introduced his Mawloc to my Bloodbride squad (the other got blown up and routed when his Zoanthropes killed the raider they were in). And killed a few genestealers that had outflanked in a barrage of necrotoxin missiles, splinter and disintegrator cannon fire, and the splinter guns on Hellion boards. In turn three. Then it was decidedly my game, and he surrendered rather than go through the motions so his last couple of units could be torn apart by a metric fuckton of splinter guns...

So after thorough testing, I've found the new deldar to be awesome, being shootier, stompier, and speedier than every other faction. They are made of paper though, so you have to do everything in your power to keep them out of sight of the enemy's guns, unless you're confident you can swarm over him and take down enough of those guns to stop him from being able to kill everything you're rushing with. They're maneuverable, and you have to use every last drop of that little advantage to take your enemy apart piece by piece, until you can just mop him up. I fucking love them.

Wait, are we talking about the actual 40k game?
Or some other game?
Never heard of a Hell gun in 40k, unless maybe the Chaos Marines or the Dark Elders are on the technology move...
It's an old weapon that imperial factions had, at least the two inquisitor armies. Not in any modern codex though.

Wish we'd get a unified Inquisition faction, with Xenos, Malleus, and Hereticus inquisition units, instead of a couple of old codexes mostly about battle whores and even more emotionless space marines that cost more and have better weapons. Maybe focusing on more varied independent character options, intended to be latched onto an IG or space marine army, perhaps?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:52:27 am by Sir Pseudonymous »
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: December 06, 2010, 02:16:46 pm »

Eh I seem to beable to choose the crappyiest armies, Tau are very shooty but not to the point of dealing with threats before they come into cc range, nids have general lack of good ranged with focus on cc but if ya can't make it in time... which comes to the other weakness of nids. Since nids have no vehicles all of their units can fall to mass fire easily (poisoned ranged aside, I'm looking at you you bullshit deldar).

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: December 06, 2010, 02:42:20 pm »

So I bought Assault on Black Reach a couple weeks back and my paints finally arrived. I'll probably be posting some pictures later in the day because I'm an attention whore so look forward to that. He's a picture of the paints I'm using.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: December 06, 2010, 04:09:56 pm »

Eh I seem to beable to choose the crappyiest armies, Tau are very shooty but not to the point of dealing with threats before they come into cc range,
Is this about that time I hid behind a building so you couldn't shoot me, then crashed into your line so hard you couldn't shoot me, using the fastest army in the game prior to the release of the new deldar (and one that's made of fucking rock too; eldar don't have the reputation as such, but they get great armor and often cover saves, and their vehicles have nice little upgrades that add a lot of staying power)?

nids have general lack of good ranged with focus on cc but if ya can't make it in time... which comes to the other weakness of nids. Since nids have no vehicles all of their units can fall to mass fire easily (poisoned ranged aside, I'm looking at you you bullshit deldar).
Now, you did something really odd for that last game. You dropped three of your hive guard. I know that they died first in the previous game, and were out of range for a good portion, but you have to think about why that was: they could tear me apart and I knew it, so I prioritized taking them down, and then retreated my most valuable armor (the vendetta) away from the last group. The same thing with the trygon this last game: it died in one turn because I focused about 600 points worth of firepower on it, then assaulted it with a unit of awesome close combat fighters and just barely managed to scrape out the last two wounds on it. I did that because I knew it could tear my army apart. The mawloc wasn't all that great though...

When you deepstrike (or launch any assault that leaves you open to enemy fire), you want to stack things in favor of what you deepstriked (or charged) surviving, especially if it needs to get into melee to do its work. That means two things: volume and disruption. You want a high enough volume of shit on the ground that the enemy can't take out all of it (and you want to be sure that what does survive will still be enough to take them out in close combat), and you want to destroy or incapacitate as much of the enemy army as possible before they get a chance to counter attack so as to aid the first part.

Honestly, I think tyranids can do that, if not necessarily against deldar (walking up to them isn't the brightest thing, as they can match even giant fucking sandworms in melee for less points (slightly, if you don't count the dedicated transport they were on in their points cost...)), maybe with warriors deployed via mycetic spore, several groups of them with decent ranged weapons, and a carnifex brood bringing up the rear (or deployed piecemeal via mycetic spore if you're feeling lucky). That also leaves a bunch of spores lying around the battlefield, which can cause significant problems even if their cargo gets killed, if you equip them with the right weapons.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: December 06, 2010, 06:20:48 pm »

Eh I seem to beable to choose the crappyiest armies, Tau are very shooty but not to the point of dealing with threats before they come into cc range,
Is this about that time I hid behind a building so you couldn't shoot me, then crashed into your line so hard you couldn't shoot me, using the fastest army in the game prior to the release of the new deldar (and one that's made of fucking rock too; eldar don't have the reputation as such, but they get great armor and often cover saves, and their vehicles have nice little upgrades that add a lot of staying power)?

Not quite, any shooty race has issues when los is blocked. Though with the right build Tau could easily make use of buildings blocking los, hop on top, shoot, then hop back down on opposite side from enemy.

nids have general lack of good ranged with focus on cc but if ya can't make it in time... which comes to the other weakness of nids. Since nids have no vehicles all of their units can fall to mass fire easily (poisoned ranged aside, I'm looking at you you bullshit deldar).
Now, you did something really odd for that last game. You dropped three of your hive guard. I know that they died first in the previous game, and were out of range for a good portion, but you have to think about why that was: they could tear me apart and I knew it, so I prioritized taking them down, and then retreated my most valuable armor (the vendetta) away from the last group. The same thing with the trygon this last game: it died in one turn because I focused about 600 points worth of firepower on it, then assaulted it with a unit of awesome close combat fighters and just barely managed to scrape out the last two wounds on it. I did that because I knew it could tear my army apart. The mawloc wasn't all that great though...

When you deepstrike (or launch any assault that leaves you open to enemy fire), you want to stack things in favor of what you deepstriked (or charged) surviving, especially if it needs to get into melee to do its work. That means two things: volume and disruption. You want a high enough volume of shit on the ground that the enemy can't take out all of it (and you want to be sure that what does survive will still be enough to take them out in close combat), and you want to destroy or incapacitate as much of the enemy army as possible before they get a chance to counter attack so as to aid the first part.

Honestly, I think tyranids can do that, if not necessarily against deldar (walking up to them isn't the brightest thing, as they can match even giant fucking sandworms in melee for less points (slightly, if you don't count the dedicated transport they were on in their points cost...)), maybe with warriors deployed via mycetic spore, several groups of them with decent ranged weapons, and a carnifex brood bringing up the rear (or deployed piecemeal via mycetic spore if you're feeling lucky). That also leaves a bunch of spores lying around the battlefield, which can cause significant problems even if their cargo gets killed, if you equip them with the right weapons.

Well if I had known that the armor on those vehicles were so bad I would have dropped the zoans and taken more hive guard. As to the pods the only issues with that is after DSing the units inside the pods (could be wrong) can't move or assault, only shoot. Now not as much of an issue with warriors but they don't exactly have fantastic guns, though totally fine for hive guard and the like. Really from what I see nids suffer when facing a highly mobile force regardless as when facing skimmers and jetbikes more than likely their gonna lag behind. Also note to self, use trygon instead of mawloc as trygon has better chance of hitting and killing with containment spines than mawloc with his Burrowing move. The other issue is making sure my hqs that ensure my guys come in on turn 2 stay alive while being able to get them into combat when they aren't needed for that purpose anymore. I kinda wish that the swarmlord could take wings...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: December 06, 2010, 08:59:41 pm »

Hence the whole "volume and disruption" thing. You're going to sit through your opponent's turn out in the open. You are going to lose units when you do that. There's no way around that besides outstanding luck. What you have to do is make sure that you're not just throwing units away, but actively buying something with their lives. Which means dropping enough stuff that your opponent can't do enough damage to neutralize the threat your units pose before your next turn. Part of making that succeed is inflicting as much damage as possible on their units that pose the most threat to you, preferably removing them rather than spreading the pain around, since each unit can only attack one target.

With Tyranids, the mycetic spores themselves can be nasty little thorns in the enemy's side, even after deploying their cargo. Stick a strangler or venom cannon on them, and your enemy will be forced to take the time to wipe them out, buying the rest of your army more time.

You know what? I'll write up a list and test it, to see if my theories on the matter actually work.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: December 07, 2010, 07:22:24 pm »

Eh I seem to beable to choose the crappyiest armies,

Have you considered the possibility of No John You Are the Demons?
Shoes...

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: December 07, 2010, 07:37:44 pm »

Pick Orks and be Goffs if you want to be good at damage control. You'll have such hordes of infantry that losing squads left right and center is to be expected on your krumpin' charge to the enemy gunline.

And, in my opinion, Orks have the best Codex for reading material!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: December 08, 2010, 04:48:15 pm »

Looks like vassal's servers went down, in the middle of a game no less. Ah well it was a low pointer and still at a point where it coulda gone either way. Depends on whether his fire warriors can kill the tyranid warriors right next to them.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: December 08, 2010, 06:16:09 pm »

Huh, it would appear their site's down too. Could be unrelated, but I can't help wonder if it's not collateral damage from the bullshit DDoS pissing contest between pro-and-anti-wikileaks factions.

Pick Orks and be Goffs if you want to be good at damage control. You'll have such hordes of infantry that losing squads left right and center is to be expected on your krumpin' charge to the enemy gunline.

Damn you, that made me reread the Ork codex, and now I want to make an ork army... :-\

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: December 08, 2010, 07:16:32 pm »

Hmm one of my dnd related sites is returning a database error as well...

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: December 08, 2010, 07:49:44 pm »

Huh, it would appear their site's down too. Could be unrelated, but I can't help wonder if it's not collateral damage from the bullshit DDoS pissing contest between pro-and-anti-wikileaks factions.

Damn you, that made me reread the Ork codex, and now I want to make an ork army... :-\

Haha, sadly I succumbed to the Ork temptations in real life after reading the Codex. It's a really great book and they're so much fun to play.
At first I built up a small army of Goffs, but they really have a lot of infantry and it got a bit overwhelming, and a little tiring since I love painting vehicles and big things over individual infantry.

Right now I'm building up an Evil Sunz army. Lots of bikers and trukks!

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: December 08, 2010, 09:40:56 pm »

I'm thinking of making a converted Chaos Army.
I don't know what codex I would use, because the army would have converted cultists.
I'm planning to make the cultists using the Empire Free Company bodies, legs, and heads, with Cadian Shock Troops arms without the shoulder pads. I plan to shave the pads off.
I think I'd use the Conscript rules from the Imperial Guard codex for them.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: December 08, 2010, 09:57:27 pm »

Well, after getting the mod, I have no idea what to do. I snooped around in single player for a while and failed to even rotate a piece.
Could use some help.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 199