Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170923 times)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2625 on: December 04, 2010, 01:28:03 am »

So, I know next to nothing about 40k, but, the Thousand Suns...they're chaos marines. Are they any good?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: December 04, 2010, 02:20:13 am »

They turn out extremely expensive points-wise, lack flexibility and move speed, but make up for it with ridiculous anti-heavy infantry firepower (their bolters are armour-piercing enough to ignore regular SM armour, among lots of other things). I'd say it's a toss-up between them and plague marines for my legion of choice.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: December 04, 2010, 02:40:16 am »

Spoiler: "Turn Three" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Turn Four" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Turn Five" (click to show/hide)

Can anyone tell me what software that is?
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: December 04, 2010, 02:43:28 am »

Armor piercing and slow. I like it. Uhm. Now I just need to learn how to play 40k.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: December 04, 2010, 03:26:16 am »

I don't know how they are in general, but I went against a thousand suns army earlier today. My opponent ran off in turn four, though I saved the game, but before that, he'd inflicted a grand total of one shaken result on one of my vehicles, and lost two thousand sons, a two obliterators (one squad in this case), all the weapons on one of his rhinos, and his daemon prince. And was about to lose a whole lot more thousand sons or the other obliterator squad, and then either seize or at least contest his objective, while holding mine.

I've been looking through the Witchhunter and Daemonhunter codexes again, and I just realized that an IG army can take inquisitorial stormtroopers, and that these are exactly like IG stormtroopers except they're cheaper and lack the deepstrike and special mission rules. At 10 points a model, with a minimum of five, and a potential two plasma guns at 10 points a piece, witch or daemon hunters' wargear, and a 4+ save, for a unit that's also a troop choice... Not as tough in melee, lacking close combat weapons, but you really shouldn't be assaulting anything with them anyways.

You can also get an Officio Assassinorum operative with an inquisitor or up to three daemonhosts if it's the ordo malleus inquisitor...

And the Callidus assassin is basically (a more expensive and altogether more useful) Marbo, only (apparently) without the "can't be placed within 1" of an enemy when it enters play from reserves" rule, and it can move, shoot, and assault normally in the turn it enters play. And has a special rule allowing it to leave close combat at the beginning of a close combat phase...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:31:46 am by Sir Pseudonymous »
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: December 04, 2010, 03:30:47 am »

I've been looking through the Witchhunter and Daemonhunter codexes again, and I just realized that an IG army can take inquisitorial stormtroopers, and that these are exactly like IG stormtroopers except they're cheaper and lack the deepstrike and special mission rules. At 10 points a model, with a minimum of five, and a potential two plasma guns at 10 points a piece, witch or daemon hunters' wargear, and a 4+ save, for a unit that's also a troop choice... Not as tough in melee, lacking close combat weapons, but you really shouldn't be assaulting anything with them anyways.

Problem is, those are some old-ass books, and a proper rules lawyer would point out that the Stormtroopers from the Inquisition Codexes would use 3.5 edition "Hellguns".  Namely, S3 AP5 Hellguns.  Which is a big part of why the ones in the new Guard book are so much more expensive (ludicrously so even).

Which doesn't stop people from combining those hideously outdated books with the new Codex anyway.  Heck, I remember like a month after the new Guard book came out, some guy had already added Vendettas to a Witchhunters army, complete with full Inquisition paintjobs.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: December 04, 2010, 03:40:09 am »

Thousand Sons are pretty cool, I apparently have to play them because I roll badly with anything else.  A Daemon Prince with Warptime and Winds of Chaos will massacre pretty much any infantry squad you throw it against and 4+ invuln saves all around are cool too.
Shoes...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: December 04, 2010, 03:45:13 am »

Problem is, those are some old-ass books, and a proper rules lawyer would point out that the Stormtroopers from the Inquisition Codexes would use 3.5 edition "Hellguns".  Namely, S3 AP5 Hellguns.  Which is a big part of why the ones in the new Guard book are so much more expensive (ludicrously so even).

Which doesn't stop people from combining those hideously outdated books with the new Codex anyway.  Heck, I remember like a month after the new Guard book came out, some guy had already added Vendettas to a Witchhunters army, complete with full Inquisition paintjobs.
Perhaps it would have been more accurate to state that they're better versions of veterans, if only slightly, although they can be taken in smaller squads, so you get a 70 point squad with two plasma guns, three slightly improved lasguns (the hell's the range, type, etc on hellguns? I don't have the old rules, and the codex wasn't kind enough to list them ::)... wait, no, the daemon hunter codex does, though it's missing the page that lists how much the wargear costs... >:(), and a 4+ save.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: December 04, 2010, 04:05:23 pm »

For the sake of SCIENCE, I decided to play a pickup game with someone playing yiff marines, and believe I have conclusively proven that the only people who play yiff marines are complete fucktards, log spoilered for size, scroll to the end for the worst of it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: December 04, 2010, 04:09:17 pm »

Perhaps it would have been more accurate to state that they're better versions of veterans, if only slightly, although they can be taken in smaller squads, so you get a 70 point squad with two plasma guns, three slightly improved lasguns (the hell's the range, type, etc on hellguns? I don't have the old rules, and the codex wasn't kind enough to list them ::)... wait, no, the daemon hunter codex does, though it's missing the page that lists how much the wargear costs... >:(), and a 4+ save.

As long as you're going to be so open about where you're getting your books, there is a version with the missing page added.  The Hellguns work just like Lasguns, they just AP5.  However, Stormtroopers of all stripes used to have "targeters", which 40K dropped because they're so unworkable.  Basically, you use Stormtroopers last in the Shooting phase, and they can measure distance to any targets before deciding what to shoot at.  Yeah.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: December 04, 2010, 04:34:12 pm »

As long as you're going to be so open about where you're getting your books, there is a version with the missing page added.  The Hellguns work just like Lasguns, they just AP5.  However, Stormtroopers of all stripes used to have "targeters", which 40K dropped because they're so unworkable.  Basically, you use Stormtroopers last in the Shooting phase, and they can measure distance to any targets before deciding what to shoot at.  Yeah.
"It's missing a page" is being open about where I got it? I'm pretty sure I've been a hell of a lot more open about how I get all the codexes, and even argued in favor of it on the grounds that most of them are absolute shit and absurdly priced (in the range of "makes wizards of the coast look sane and cheap in comparison"; the main rulebook is $60 :o), but you need the reference in case you play against someone using them. Also, found one with the missing page...

Edit: Ironically, the Games Workshop site would appear to have the witch and daemon hunter codexes available for download, though only for people who register an account on the site. I assume they're free, as I'd expect a "Download right now (CONVENIENCE!) for only twice the price of a hardcopy!" page rather than one that says "Please log in to access this", especially considering who we're talking about...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 01:52:31 am by Sir Pseudonymous »

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: December 05, 2010, 10:52:37 pm »

Wait, are we talking about the actual 40k game?
Or some other game?
Never heard of a Hell gun in 40k, unless maybe the Chaos Marines or the Dark Elders are on the technology move...
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: December 05, 2010, 11:17:19 pm »

Hellguns are like nastier lasguns. It's an Imperial weapon.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 199