Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170973 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2595 on: November 28, 2010, 12:20:17 pm »

I can't play probably until later today and possibly tomorrow.  I'm over at my family's house and their computer sucks
Shoes...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: November 28, 2010, 01:30:51 pm »

Don't forget sponsons on the leman russ. Twenty points for two heavy bolters at BS 4, that can be fired after moving 6" because of lumbering behemoth, bringing the total up to three heavy bolters and a fuckhuge gatling gun, for 29 S5 shots, of which two thirds will hit on average, causing an average of 16 wounds against a T3 target, twelve wounds against a T4, ten against a T5, six against a T6, and three against a T7, before saves (nine of the shots will be AP4, the rest are AP-). It's a nightmare against infantry, and even poses a threat to monstrous creatures (remember that most things can't even scratch them). It'll even scratch up light armor, so long as it can hit a facing with 11 or less armor, against which it should score a few glancing hits, and against armor 10 it'll even get a few penetrating shots in, hopefully (it will suffer on the damage table though, due to the AP-). It's not as good as most other Leman Russ patterns against armor and large targets (with the exception of lone monstrous creatures with multiple wounds, since a blast can only hit them once... ::)), but it's not like it's useless against them, either. Multimelta or plasma cannon sponsons can give it a bit more bite against big targets, but both are expensive, the former has a range of 24", and the latter is a blast weapon, and so has a good chance of missing the target.

The stubber/stormbolter isn't worth it though, unless you've got absolutely nothing better to spend those ten points on. Ten points will buy a veteran squad two grenade launchers, an autocannon, heavy bolter, or melta, or two thirds of a plasma gun.

On a completely unrelated note, that reminds me of how much I always hated the implementation of rock-paper-scissors style units in RTS games, most noticeably C&C generals (where I actually made the observation), where anti-infantry weapons do normal damage to infantry, and anti-tank weapons do only the tiniest amount of damage to them, despite being giant fucking guided rockets, which fired as fast as rifles no less (seeing a soldier walk through a barage of dozens of rockets, each of which hit his feet, was particularly jarring), and how much it pissed me off they couldn't have come up with a better way to do it. Bullshit like that really makes me appreciate how it's handled in 40K, where anti-tank weapons tear the living shit out of infantry, but are slow, big ass guns that can't handle masses of infantry. Except plasma weapons, which are rape everything (including the firer) guns (an S7 AP2 rapid fire gun? :o).

Also, I meant to say "only a third of their shots will hit" in regards to the conscripts. BS2 is one third, BS3 is half, BS4 is two thirds, and BS5 is five sixths. Above that you only get about a 3% better chance per BS rank, since it's adding sixths of of one sixth. And the roll to wound is 4-(S-T), with the exceptions that a result of seven (target's T is three higher than attacker's S) counts as 6+, and that the minimum to wound is 2+.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: November 28, 2010, 06:07:37 pm »

Liking this army so far, though it's a bit nerveracking letting vehicles and jetbikes sit out in the open, in full sight of an entire Tau army, even if they do have a 3+ cover save from moving flatout, and get to reroll failed saves because a farseer cast fortune on them... I've chewed up a flank of Userpay's army, and suffered only minor casualties. His biggest bruisers are out of the fight, except for those goddamned broadsides, which he buried too deep for me to hit on the first sweep.

Code: [Select]
Loldar: 1500
  Autarch: 130
    Jetbike +30
    Mandiblasters +10
    Laser Lance +20
  Eldrad Ulthran: 210
  Warlocks: 287
    Warlock: +58x2
      Singing Spear +3
      Destructor +10
      Jetbike +20
    Warlock: +55
      Destructor +10
      Jetbike +20
    Warlock: +63
      Singing Spear +3
      Enhance +15
      Jetbike +20
    Warlock: +53
      Singing Spear +3
      Embolden +5
      Jetbike +20
  Howling Banshees: 337
    Howling Banshee +16x10
    Exarch: +32
      Exarch +12
      Mirror Swords +10
      War Shout +5
      Acrobatic +5
    Wave Serpent: +145
      Missile Launchers +30
      Star Engines +15
      Spirit Stones +10
  Rangers: 120
    Ranger: +24x5
      Pathfinder +5
  Guardian Jetbikes: 76
    Guardian Jetbike +22x3
    Shuriken Cannon +10
  Fire Prism: 170
    Shuriken Cannon +10
    Holo-fields +35
    Spirit Stones +10
  Fire Prism: 170
    Shuriken Cannon +10
    Holo-fields +35
    Spirit Stones +10

Oh, and the Shas'o should have taken an LD test, since he lost the combat by one wound. Failure means he breaks, and either runs off the map (considering how close he is to it), or is eliminated straight out.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 06:58:20 pm by Sir Pseudonymous »

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: November 28, 2010, 11:31:43 pm »

Today we mark the deaths of three fine short people, cut down in their prime by a heartless Sir Pseudonymous.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: November 29, 2010, 12:48:02 pm »

Well, I'll probably be on vassal all day again, unless something comes up.

Oh, and the army I was using against Smitehappy is this:

Code: [Select]
Loldar: 996
  Farseer: 173
    Singing Spear +3
    Runes of Witnessing +10
    Spirit Stones +20
    Jetbike +30
    Doom +25
    Fortune +30
  Warlocks: 290
    Warlock: +58x3
      Singing Spear +3
      Destructor +10
      Jetbike +20
    Warlock: +63
      Singing Spear +3
      Enhance +15
      Jetbike +20
    Warlock: +53
      Singing Spear +3
      Embolden +5
      Jetbike +20
  Howling Banshees: 337
    Howling Banshee +16x10
    Exarch: +32
      Exarch +12
      Mirror Swords +10
      War Shout +5
      Acrobatic +5
    Wave Serpent: +145
      Missile Launchers +30
      Star Engines +15
      Spirit Stones +10
  Rangers: 120
    Ranger: +24x5
      Pathfinder +5
  Guardian Jetbikes: 76
    Guardian Jetbike +22x3
    Shuriken Cannon +10
While it might not be strategically sound to publicly broadcast the army I'm using, I change lists so often that I find any potential input to far outweigh the chance that it could be used against me.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 12:51:52 pm by Sir Pseudonymous »

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: November 29, 2010, 10:12:32 pm »

Well my IG army is currently lying in pieces on the battlefield. Notable highlights include a Wave Serpent careening across the map with Star Engines, crashing into my battle line, splatting a Meltagunner and then peeling off to one-hit a vendetta with a Krak missile (Exploding it) while it rams the other (also explodes). Also Sergeant Fancy Pants' last stand.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: November 29, 2010, 11:36:59 pm »

So, I sent a wave serpent full of banshees careening across the map to crash through an infantry unit with a melta gunner (who stood his ground, apparently grazing the cockpit with his gun and scaring the shit out of the pilots) and into the commander's squad, who scrambled out of their gun pit to avoid being crushed. Then, after deploying the banshees (and surviving a round of fire from two vendettas), it ran through another infantry squad, who routed in terror, and sent a krak missile through the cockpit of the nearest vendetta, raining the nearby stormtroopers and veterans with burning shrapnel. The banshees slaughtered the infantry around the gunpit and seized Smitehappy's flag, while the wave serpent, having gotten its missile launcher shot off by the other vendetta, rammed the last vendetta at full speed, tearing it apart, and losing its twin-linked shuriken catapult in the process. After the snipers and jetbike mounted warlocks had all but destroyed the left flank, save for one stormtrooper sergeant, said sergeant charged down a hill and took out the wave serpent with a fucking pistol, before the warlocks surrounded him and tore him to ribbons with their shuriken catapults.

Spoiler: "Turn Three" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Turn Four" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Turn Five" (click to show/hide)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: November 30, 2010, 05:06:24 pm »

Be hangin around for the day.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: November 30, 2010, 08:27:15 pm »

It would appear I just missed you. :/

Anyone feel like playing a 500 or 2000 point game? I still have to test those armies...

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: November 30, 2010, 09:12:22 pm »

Don't forget sponsons on the leman russ. Twenty points for two heavy bolters at BS 4, that can be fired after moving 6" because of lumbering behemoth, bringing the total up to three heavy bolters and a fuckhuge gatling gun, for 29 S5 shots, of which two thirds will hit on average, causing an average of 16 wounds against a T3 target, twelve wounds against a T4, ten against a T5, six against a T6, and three against a T7, before saves (nine of the shots will be AP4, the rest are AP-). It's a nightmare against infantry, and even poses a threat to monstrous creatures (remember that most things can't even scratch them). It'll even scratch up light armor, so long as it can hit a facing with 11 or less armor, against which it should score a few glancing hits, and against armor 10 it'll even get a few penetrating shots in, hopefully (it will suffer on the damage table though, due to the AP-). It's not as good as most other Leman Russ patterns against armor and large targets (with the exception of lone monstrous creatures with multiple wounds, since a blast can only hit them once... ::)), but it's not like it's useless against them, either. Multimelta or plasma cannon sponsons can give it a bit more bite against big targets, but both are expensive, the former has a range of 24", and the latter is a blast weapon, and so has a good chance of missing the target.

The stubber/stormbolter isn't worth it though, unless you've got absolutely nothing better to spend those ten points on. Ten points will buy a veteran squad two grenade launchers, an autocannon, heavy bolter, or melta, or two thirds of a plasma gun.

On a completely unrelated note, that reminds me of how much I always hated the implementation of rock-paper-scissors style units in RTS games, most noticeably C&C generals (where I actually made the observation), where anti-infantry weapons do normal damage to infantry, and anti-tank weapons do only the tiniest amount of damage to them, despite being giant fucking guided rockets, which fired as fast as rifles no less (seeing a soldier walk through a barage of dozens of rockets, each of which hit his feet, was particularly jarring), and how much it pissed me off they couldn't have come up with a better way to do it. Bullshit like that really makes me appreciate how it's handled in 40K, where anti-tank weapons tear the living shit out of infantry, but are slow, big ass guns that can't handle masses of infantry. Except plasma weapons, which are rape everything (including the firer) guns (an S7 AP2 rapid fire gun? :o).

Also, I meant to say "only a third of their shots will hit" in regards to the conscripts. BS2 is one third, BS3 is half, BS4 is two thirds, and BS5 is five sixths. Above that you only get about a 3% better chance per BS rank, since it's adding sixths of of one sixth. And the roll to wound is 4-(S-T), with the exceptions that a result of seven (target's T is three higher than attacker's S) counts as 6+, and that the minimum to wound is 2+.
I skipped some of what you said, so forgive me if I missed this. The storm bolter, being a defensive weapon, is able to be fired when moving at 6".

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: December 01, 2010, 09:46:19 am »

Sir where'd you go? You dropped out suddenly while we were playing last night.

MrStyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: December 01, 2010, 10:48:07 am »

I saw part of yalls game last night.  Thanks for letting me observe. 

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: December 01, 2010, 02:00:15 pm »

Sir where'd you go? You dropped out suddenly while we were playing last night.
My internet died just after you rolled the scatter dice, around 1AM, and didn't come back on for more than an hour (not sure when it came back, I stopped trying after about an hour and went to sleep, but it was back on this morning, well, afternoon, considering I woke up around noon...). I saved the game, though; we can finish it whenever, though I'll be gone this afternoon.

I skipped some of what you said, so forgive me if I missed this. The storm bolter, being a defensive weapon, is able to be fired when moving at 6".
That's true, but I still think there are better uses for ten points than that. I've never seen a stubber do much any damage, and I generally use fast vehicles or something like the leman russ, that has a sort of variant on that, in that it can fire normally if it moves at combat speed, but has to roll a d6 to determine its cruising speed. It might be something to jam onto a chimera, so it gets a little more bite while still moving its passengers where you want them, but I can't see it being useful for something like a leman russ or hellhound.

Oh, and the army I was playing userpay with? Its centerpiece is a Leman Russ Executioner with a lascannon, plasma cannon sponsons, and Knight Commander Pask. It cost one point more than the two vetsquads and their chimeras combined. Plasma cannons are Fun at close range. ::)

MrStyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: December 01, 2010, 02:21:23 pm »

Was last night a 2000 pt game?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: December 01, 2010, 03:30:09 pm »

I'll be on for a little bit today.