Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170972 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2580 on: November 26, 2010, 11:25:31 pm »

That Deldar game was pretty rough.  Since Tzeentch gets pissy and makes me roll bad if I play anything but Thousand Sons, my strength against armies with lots of weak infantry is pretty limited.  The second game was hosed by a serious turn 2 tactical error.  The opponent put all of his units in reserves and we were doing Spearhead deployment.  I didn't know you could deploy anywhere on your edge in Spearhead so as I moved in to surround his deployment zone and mow him down as he came in, he flanked me and things got bad.  Plus, he got a lucky second turn reserves roll and like two thirds of his army came out.
Shoes...

gamergeek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: November 27, 2010, 12:22:26 am »

I never got the hype around this one.  Tried it a few times, but just wasn't my thing.  Have fun all the rest of you, though!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: November 27, 2010, 10:34:08 am »

I'll be around for a bit.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: November 27, 2010, 11:54:25 am »

Well, I'll be on vassal all day.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: November 27, 2010, 03:51:49 pm »

Just put together a new 1k IG army.
Code: [Select]
IG Army: 100

Company Command Squad +50:65
  -Vox-caster +5
  -Autocannon +10

Platoon Command Squad +30:65
  -Vox-Caster +5
  -Heavy Flamer +20
  -Grenade Launcher +5x2

Infantry Squad +50x3:240
  -Vox-Caster +5x3
  -Autocannon +10x3
  -Grenade Launcher +5x6

-Flamer +5x3
 Heavy Weapon Squad +60x2:160
  -Autocannon +5x4
  -Missile Launcher +10x2

Vendetta Gunship Squadron +130x2:280
  -Heavy Bolters +10x2

Storm Trooper Squad +85x2:190
  -Grenade Launcher +5x4
  -Airborn Assault

I plan to pair the Storm Troopers with the Vendettas, acting as a sort of rapid response unite. Since the Vendetta can go Flat Out and still drop it's passengers anywhere in it's movement line with Grav Chutes I figure paired with airborne assault (Reroll Scatter dice) my stormtroopers because much more flexible. That and the fact that the Vendetta can pretty much melt any armor (aside from the real heavy) that even looks at my storm troopers funny makes me pretty confident they'll be worth the points.

I got slightly stumped on what to do with the rest of my points though. At first I though I'd include some sentinels or even some good old fashion artillery but felt that I already have slightly too many points invested in small units, especially for a 1k army. So I went the other way, spending the rest of my points on infantry. It seems alright, figured once my Stormtroopers dig in somewhere the rest of my infantry can come in and reinforce them though I feel like I could do better.Anyone have any ideas?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: November 27, 2010, 07:21:30 pm »

First thing that pops out at me: you've only taken one troop choice. A platoon counts as a single unit on the force organization chart, which means you either need another platoon, a veteran squad, or a penal legion squad. The vetsquad is probably the best choice, and you might want to consider replacing the stormtroopers with veterans armed with plasma guns or grenade launchers, since the hotshot lasguns are... well, I don't like them, since they've got a shorter range and are only S3, even if they do have AP3.

You'll also want to split up the vendetta squad into two separate squads, for added mobility.

Gah, I've been sitting on vassal all day and haven't gotten a game. D:

I've got AFK on, but just say something in the room or pm me, I'm glancing at it now and then.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: November 27, 2010, 07:30:07 pm »

Smitehappy, a couple of techincal issues with your list first:

-heavy flamers are not worth 15 points more than normal flamers, never ever put them anywhere other than a chimera hull.

-grenade launchers on storm troopers are a waste, give them melta guns instead

-platoon infantry squads can only have 1 special weapon each, it looks like you're giving them 3.

-Squadroning your vendettas makes them weaker. You have enough force org slots to make them separate, you should do so. When you squadron your vehicles can be wrecked on a 4+ as opposed to a 5+, as a consolation prize GW lets you down-grade stunned results(can't more or fire) into shaken results (can't fire). Since the vendettas already have extra armor, which downgrades stunned into shaken, there isn't a good reason to squadron them.

Tactically speaking you need some more mobile troops. Because you gave all your infantry squads auto cannons, none of them are going to want to move. I'd think about using a power blob (combined infatry squads with power weapons on the sergeants and commissar), some penal legions are some melta vets in a chimera.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: November 27, 2010, 10:27:53 pm »

I'm curious..That and I am very unwilling to look through 170+ pages, what is vassal, and how does one play the tabletop game on this "vassal"

If it'd interrupt the thread, you could private message me instead. Cause I love the tabletop, but I've had friends that don't have the money for it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 10:36:18 pm by ZebioLizard2 »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: November 27, 2010, 10:37:06 pm »

Vassal.

Vassal 40k devblog.

Perhaps someone should tell Jackrabbit to update the first post with that information? Because this gets asked every time there's been a page or two since it was last asked...

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: November 27, 2010, 10:53:54 pm »

Sorry, just curious after all, and so many intimidating pages! It would potentially be nice to have it in the first page  ;)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: November 28, 2010, 12:02:14 am »

The vetsquad is probably the best choice, and you might want to consider replacing the stormtroopers with veterans armed with plasma guns or grenade launchers, since the hotshot lasguns are... well, I don't like them, since they've got a shorter range and are only S3, even if they do have AP3.

I thought about that. The main reason I took the Stormtroopers was because of their reroll on scatter die. Figured if I was going to put a lot of points in small units it'd be a pain to have them get killed in the drop or scattered to hell. Is the reroll worth it or should I trust the die?

And thanks for pointing out the special weapon thing Bishop, I wasn't paying enough attention.

*Edit*
Been looking through the IG rulebook. Anyone have anything good to say about Guardsman Marbo?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:10:32 am by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: November 28, 2010, 01:00:49 am »

The reroll gives you a ~56% chance of not scattering, as opposed to a 33% normally. But, there's not a whole lot of reason to be using the grav chutes, since the vendettas have so much firepower you'll probably want them shooting every chance they get, rather than moving flatout. Of course, I've never run into a situation where using the grav chutes occurred to me, since I'm generally pretty wary of deepstriking. I can see it being useful in certain circumstances though...

Well, I didn't get a game today, but I did put together four new loldar army lists, at 500, 1000, 1500, and 2000 points... Hopefully I can try one out tomorrow. :-\

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: November 28, 2010, 07:16:42 am »

What do you guys think of this 1000p IG army:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm going for more dakka, obviously. If they pass the leadership test for FRFSRF (why oh why can't I give them a vox caster :'(), those conscript squads can fire 66 and 69 shots on targets within 12". With that many dice rolling, a decent number of wounds is nigh guaranteed. Together with the four normal infantry squads and 6 mortars, this should eat enemy infantry for breakfast, right?

I took the two vendettas for anti-armour, but I'm not sure it's enough. Do I have to give some autocannons or something to my infantry? I'd hate to lose mobility on them, but if it has to be done I guess I can live with it.

I also wanted to include a Leman Russ Punisher to take my number of shots to an absurd level, but 180p is a hefty price :(
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: November 28, 2010, 09:38:35 am »

Regular infantry squads can be combined within a platoon, which has the benefit of only requiring a single order to be issued, and only needing a single voxcaster.

Conscripts seem like an attractive option, but they're BS 2, and have LD 5, so a third of their shots will miss, and you have a very low chance of successfully issuing an order to them, unless you spend another 70 points to get a lord commissar to attach to their unit, which is a bit of a waste. Remember too that it's an ungodly bitch trying to deploy so much infantry. There might be a crazy amount of dakka, but just the sheer effort of initial deployment is a driving reason why I'm looking at loldar as a more serious option. Speaking of which, anyone up for a game? I'll be sitting in the main room. Again. If I don't respond, just PM me or send a wakeup call, whatever the fuck that does.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: November 28, 2010, 11:02:01 am »

Oh man, I totally forgot about combining squads, thanks :D

OK, revised list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A lot less lasguns, but still decent dakka thanks to the punisher. I bough Pask because raising BS from 3 to 4 seems pretty sweet for a model with 20 shots, but would I be better off buying another infantry squad instead?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 199