Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171016 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2490 on: November 21, 2010, 06:42:58 pm »

I'm still hanging around for games on vassal.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: November 21, 2010, 07:23:49 pm »

Just had a draw with Userpay.  Need moar bikers.

Am I to understand you were using Nurgle Bikers?  Even if it is a waste of like 70 points or whatever to get T4(6), giant angry zombie bikers is the best thing ever.

Yes, Nurgle Bikers.  They're expensive but mewing across the board and assaulting the Tau on turn 2 is kickass.  Plus T6 lols off most Tau guns.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 07:26:07 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: November 21, 2010, 10:31:58 pm »

Still hanging around, might be the last day I have for awhile with enough time to play warhammer.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: November 22, 2010, 12:16:48 am »

I might, I'm making a better list for krumpin' Tau.

Hopy shit bikers are expensive.

Also, reading the Apocalypse rules does make it sound really cool, but we'd probably need a whole day or two to do it since we're online.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:53:52 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: November 22, 2010, 02:58:58 am »

Speaking of tau, does anyone have any tips on how to model markerlights for firewarriors? I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a part for them in the firewarrior box.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: November 22, 2010, 05:22:16 am »

My Imperial Guide rulebook just got in through the mail so I'll have a 1000 point up soon. I've been thinking of trying a high mobility squad consisting of Cadian Shock Troopers (Maybe Kasrkin) carted around up by a Valkyrie with a few low point troops to hold locations/be targets to boot. Anyone have any suggestions?
This is an old army list I wrote up, can't recall if I ever played it though.

Code: [Select]
IG: 1000
  Lord Commissar +70: 70

Veteran Squad +70x4: 370
    -Heavy Bolter +10x4
    -Sniper Rifle +5x6
    -Grenade Launcher +5x4

Vendetta +130x2: 280
    -Heavy Bolters +10x2
  Vendetta +130: 140
    -Heavy Bolters +10
  Vendetta +130: 140
    -Heavy Bolters +10
I'm not sure about the sniper rifles on the veterans personally, or the grenade launchers for that matter. I haven't used either very much, so I don't have a good feel for if they're worth using, or if something else would be a better use of the... it looks like 50 points I put into them. That would be enough to give the commissar and one squad carapace armor and three flamers (if that squad also dropped the heavy bolter, assuming that with carapace armor they'd be aiming to charge targets or somesuch, with 5 points left over.

I think that's the only 1000 pure-mobility army list I've got, though there's another one with two valkyries, two hellhounds, and a leman russ, essentially the 1000 point version of the army I played userpay with.

I assume everyone's asleep now... I'm probably going back to sleep myself, but I should be free this morning/afternoon.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: November 22, 2010, 07:56:35 am »

I'd take Ratlings for snipers.

Also, with that much infantry a company command squad would be a good investment. First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire is really awesome.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 07:58:54 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: November 22, 2010, 08:42:11 am »

I'd take Ratlings for snipers.

Also, with that much infantry a company command squad would be a good investment. First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire is really awesome.
First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire is only really good when you have a full 50 troops in a combined squad, although it'd be almost impossible to get them all in range under normal circumstances. I built a 1000 point army around that idea, and it fared okay, though it was mostly the heavy weapon squads that did the bruising, while the combined five infantry squad mostly just died horribly to a dreadnought (hilarious because my opponent sacrificed a venerable dreadnought to devastate them, which did exactly jack shit to hurt my damage capability (after all, he wasn't in a position to exploit the weakpoint that put in my defenses; the squad didn't have the range to hit his marines hiding on the other side of the map, but would have devastated them if they tried charging down the middle (which led to him trying to run a rhino down the sidelines, where it was shredded by a lascannon because derp)); I think it was a vet-squad with a heavy flamer than did it in, blasting its rear armor, getting an "explodes!" result (meaning I got lucky as hell, rolling two sixes against it, although a wrecked result would have been better...), killing about a dozen of the main infantry squad... ::)).
Code: [Select]
IG: 1000
  Company Command Squad +50: 65
    -Mortar +5
    -Grenade Launcher +5x2

Platoon Command Squad +30: 35
    -Vox-caster +5
   Infantry Squad +50x5: 365
     -Vox-caster +5
     -Commissar +35
     -Grenade Launcher +5x5
     -Autocannon +10x5
   Heavy Weapons Squad +60x5: 435
     -Heavy Bolter +5x9
     -Lascannon +15x6
  Veteran Squad +70:
    -Heavy Flamer +20
    -Flamer +5x2

Done right, it creates a very bad situation for your opponent: stay bunkered down, getting chipped away at by the heavy weapon teams, or charge, and get torn up the heavy weapon teams and a potential 100-150 lasgun shots if within a good chunk of the map. If I were to throw in some good artillery and a bit of armor to shore up the ranks, it would be even nastier... >:D

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: November 22, 2010, 08:59:40 am »

Yeah, FRFSRF goes well with Griffons, just bunker up and force the enemy to come into the range of lasguns. With Griffon's accurate bombardment, the enemy definitely doesn't want to trade artillery shots with IG.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: November 22, 2010, 10:44:46 am »

Something I find amusing with Tau is los blocking terrain both helps and hinders them. On one hand they can't shoot through it (well unless using smart missiles or something like that) on the other hand just about all of the suits ('cept broadsides) can jet pack to the top of the obstruction, shoot, and jet pack back down. Suddenly I really want to do a city game lol.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: November 22, 2010, 11:58:05 am »

I'm up for a game, any army's fine.  I'll be playing as Chaos (duh), 1000 or 2000 preferably.
Shoes...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: November 22, 2010, 12:14:42 pm »

Damn, and just as I'm leaving... Wasn't expecting to have to go anywhere today... Well, I'll be back in the evening, assuming I don't pass out the second I get home like last night. I really want to try out one of my latest army lists... :-\

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: November 22, 2010, 01:15:46 pm »

Whenever you or anyone else is ready.

I just made a new thousand point list, Khorne this time.  It feels bad for some reason, but I guess we'll see when it gets into play.  I don't like thousand point lists, somehow they feel even more limited than 500.
Shoes...

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: November 22, 2010, 04:13:34 pm »

I'd be up for a 1000 point game later tonight after my classes if you can put up with holding my hand through it.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: November 22, 2010, 04:17:30 pm »

Yeah alright, I can probably do that, but if someone else is available you might want to play with them.  Sometimes I have trouble teaching people competitive games because I can be kind of aggressive.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 199