Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171126 times)

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2310 on: August 08, 2010, 01:26:44 pm »

Check /tg and /rs for both the codex and the link to vassal. It should be from mediafire.

Has anyone heard anything about a Vassal mod for fantasy? I'm starting to get interested in fantasy dwarfs and wanna try somethings out.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: August 08, 2010, 01:31:34 pm »

Okay. I'll check it out when I get home.

And I intend to actually buy copies of the rules. :P expensive though. D:

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: August 08, 2010, 08:36:00 pm »

Like the rest of 40k
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: August 08, 2010, 09:21:22 pm »

Okay. I'll check it out when I get home.

And I intend to actually buy copies of the rules. :P expensive though. D:
While it's a good idea to buy the books if you're going to also buy an army, I'd personally recommend obtaining scans, including ones of any books you buy, just because they're easier to reference, especially while playing over vassal. Besides, there are 12 codexes (and the rulebook, for a total of 13 books), not counting the plethora of bullshit ones like the Yiff Marines. Each book costs $30, if I remember correctly, so having all of them would be $390 (more than a decent, if small, army would set you back), plus tax. While you don't really need more than just the one for the army you're playing, it's good to also have at least a cursory understanding of the others. After all, "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: August 09, 2010, 01:25:30 am »

Oh man, Sun Tzu. How the hell am I supposed to argue with that.

Look, this is a conversation we really shouldn't be getting into.

On a slightly related yet totally subject changing note, I keep installing Dark Crusade, only to be dissapointed again. It's too bad that my computer can't handle DoW II. It's sounds like I'd enjoy it more. The base building thing bothered me, and the limited customization options frustrated me. I need more options for my commander unit, and let me customize the weapons and equipment for my honor guards as well, dammit!!

Edit: I just finished doing a quick glance through the main 5th edition rule book. I'm about to crack open the Ork Codex, but I've got a quick question.

It talks about point value limits for armies (which I already knew about), but it didn't actually seem to assign values to any of the units or weapons in the back of the book. Maybe I just missed it, or maybe they saved that for the Codex (Games Workshop!!! *Shakes Fist*) Guess I'll figure that out in a bit.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:22:33 pm by rickvoid »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: August 09, 2010, 04:48:17 pm »

Oh man, Sun Tzu. How the hell am I supposed to argue with that.

Look, this is a conversation we really shouldn't be getting into.
That quote's been bouncing around in my head for a while, and I wanted an excuse to use it. :3

On a slightly related yet totally subject changing note, I keep installing Dark Crusade, only to be dissapointed again. It's too bad that my computer can't handle DoW II. It's sounds like I'd enjoy it more. The base building thing bothered me, and the limited customization options frustrated me. I need more options for my commander unit, and let me customize the weapons and equipment for my honor guards as well, dammit!!
Neither DoW really captured the feel of Warhammer 40k, neither gamewise nor fluffwise, though the second was a better fit (though, ironically, worse of a game). The named characters were basically invincible fluff marines, while the unnamed filler marines died like flies.

Edit: I just finished doing a quick glance through the main 5th edition rule book. I'm about to crack open the Ork Codex, but I've got a quick question.

It talks about point value limits for armies (which I already knew about), but it didn't actually seem to assign values to any of the units or weapons in the back of the book. Maybe I just missed it, or maybe they saved that for the Codex (Games Workshop!!! *Shakes Fist*) Guess I'll figure that out in a bit.
Yeah, the entries in the back of the rulebook are just brief stats in a quick reference format, you can't build an army by looking at them, since they lack the point cost, equipment loadouts, and special abilities.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: August 09, 2010, 05:12:55 pm »

So are the point values actually in the Codicies then?

(Rick Void has earned achievement "You Actually Used That In A Sentance!?")

I suppose I'll find out, my seven-month-old interrupted me in a few pages in, with her constant "Daddy feed me" yelling. Bah, children.

8D

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: August 09, 2010, 05:27:19 pm »

So are the point values actually in the Codicies then?
Yeah, depending on the codex they're either in the unit descriptions (in which case everything is described alongside it, aside from generic equipment and rules which have their own section), or a separate section in the back (the Ork codex is this way), which lists the full basic rules for the unit (point costs, what special rules they have (if they have unique, or nearly unique, special rules, explanation of the rule is back in the description; same goes for special equipment that's exclusive, or nearly exclusive, to the unit), basic equipment, and the customization options you have).

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: August 09, 2010, 06:22:05 pm »

Warhammer Gaming has slightly fallen from my favour.

I'm currently just working on dioramas, i know this means nothing to anyone, but i will be posting pictures of some eventually.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: August 09, 2010, 07:28:45 pm »

I'm reading through the Imperial Guard Codex. A Guard Army is sounding fun. They're ridiculously shooty, and I lurves me some shooty. Orks have lots of Dakka, but their low BS means they'll probably just end up krumpin' gits wit der choppas instead. A shame.

I look forward to your diorama pics! :)

Edit: Quick question. If I give a single unit, such as, say, a Lord Commissar, a pair of Plasma Pistols, will he be able to fire both during his shooting phase, or just one?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:44:53 pm by rickvoid »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: August 09, 2010, 08:22:46 pm »

I'm reading through the Imperial Guard Codex. A Guard Army is sounding fun. They're ridiculously shooty, and I lurves me some shooty.
FUCK YEAH :D

I find IG to be the only army that's awesome no matter how you put it together. Most other races either have just one or two interesting tricks up their sleeve (tau battlesuits and loldar jetbikes come to mind here), are painfully boring (if effective in their blandness *coughcough* space mary-sues *coughcough* necrons *coughcough*), or are awesome but kind of shitty/hard to work with (Chaos Daemons; they have to deep strike, and can pull all sorts of awesome shit, but in the end they're too expensive for their stats and abilities).

Orks have lots of Dakka, but their low BS means they'll probably just end up krumpin' gits wit der choppas instead. A shame.
Yeah, Orks are mostly about charging the enemy and burying them under a sea of bodies, with guns tacked on to give you something to do while moving them to assault range.

Edit: Quick question. If I give a single unit, such as, say, a Lord Commissar, a pair of Plasma Pistols, will he be able to fire both during his shooting phase, or just one?
I don't believe you can equip a lord commissar with two pistols. I think the options mean "exchange his pistol for a different pistol (or a bolter), or exchange his ccw for a power sword or power fist".

Other than that point, a model can only fire one weapon per turn, unless otherwise stated (some tau battlesuits can take a piece of wargear that let them fire multiple weapons per turn).

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: August 09, 2010, 08:36:24 pm »

That's what I thought. Poor Lord Commissar. A Power Fist will help keep his Pimp Hand strong, at least.

And that line is incredibly decptively worded.

Edit: Holy crap. I have a 500 point Guard Army worked up. And it was a blast! :D

I'll post the unit and wargear list when I get home, along with the general strategy I'd use with this army.

Please point out my stupid newb mistakes (I'm sure I made at least 1), and suggest alternatives. I'll probably work out a 1000 pointer tomorrow, to expand on this one.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:58:07 pm by rickvoid »

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: August 09, 2010, 11:09:25 pm »

Okay, here we go:

Code: [Select]
500 Point Army

HQ Unit - 120 Points (70 Base)
Lord Commissar
- Carapace Armor (10 points)
- Plasma Pistol (10 points)
- Power Fist (15 Points)
- Melta Bombs (5 Points)
- Camo Cloak (10 Points)

Squad 1
Veteran Squad - 185 Points (70 Points Base)
Grenadier Doctrine (30 Points)

Veteran Sergeant
- Plasma Pistol (10 Points)
- Power Weapon (10 Points)

Veterans (7)
- Two Plasma Guns (30 Points)
- Heavy Flamer (20 Points)
- Vox-Caster (5 Points)

Veteran Weapons Team
- Heavy Bolter (10 Points)

Squad 2
Veteran Squad - 195 Points (70 Points Base)
Grenadier Doctrine (30 Points)

Veteran Sergeant
- Plasma Pistol (10 Points)
- Power Weapon (10 Points)

Veterans (7)
- Two Plasma Guns (30 Points)
- Heavy Flamer (20 Points)
- Vox-Caster (5 Points)

Veteran Weapons Team
- Lascannon (20 Points)

So here's the general theory: There's no such thing as "Overkill". Hence, I've got three Plasma Pistols, four Plasma Guns, a Heavy Bolter and a Lascannon. Everybody has access to frag and krak grenades, and the Commissar has Melta Bombs. Squad two is has my Anti armor in the form of the Lascannon, and squad one is my Anti-Everything squad. I went with Veteran squads since they've got more option and a higher leadership score, so I can worry about morale less. The Commissar has the Camo Cape so he can sneak around, and take out Armor if my Lascannon bites it. Grenadier Doctrine bumps the save chance for a unit that's been hit from 33% to 50%. Yeah, that'll certainly help.

When playing these guys, my main strategy would be to bounce from cover to cover, and hunker down when I've found a nice killing field. The squads would cover each other while moving. (Squad one sits, Squad two runs. Swap each turn.) The Commissar can bounce around a bit, taking shots wherever he's needed.

In the thousand point army I'm bouncing around in my head, I'll probably add some armor in the form of a Chimera or two, along with another HQ Unit and an Elite unit or two. Probably Stormtroopers.

Okay. Tell me what I've done wrong.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:13:57 pm by rickvoid »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: August 10, 2010, 12:34:13 am »

You have weak anti-armor. The lascannon has a nice 66% chance of hitting, but it's only one gun. You're probably not going to see too much armor/high T units (ones with a high enough T to need an S10 weapon to deal with) in a 500 point match, but it's still a very real possibility (most people field at least a token piece of armor, simply because it requires a special counter to deal with).

The commissar's going to die if used on his own in frontline combat, because he's a high priority target. He might be tough as nails, but weight of fire means that statistically he'll be hit, receive wounds, and fail enough saves to be taken down. His strengths are mainly in shoring up other infantry units.

I'm also generally wary of putting too many options in a single unit, though I'm not sure how well founded this is.

This is my 1000 point infantry spam army. It slaughtered a space marine army, despite getting a venerable dreadnought deepstriked into its heart.
Code: [Select]
IG: 1000
  Company Command Squad +50: 65
    -Mortar +5
    -Grenade Launcher +5x2

Platoon Command Squad +30: 35
    -Vox-caster +5
   Infantry Squad +50x5: 365
     -Vox-caster +5
     -Commissar +35
     -Grenade Launcher +5x5
     -Autocannon +10x5
   Heavy Weapons Squad +60x5: 435
     -Heavy Bolter +5x9
     -Lascannon +15x6
  Veteran Squad +70:
    -Heavy Flamer +20
    -Flamer +5x2

It revolves around the idea that more dakka is best dakka. The central infantry squad (formed by combining the five squads in the platoon with the Combined Squad rule) can fire 68 lasgun shots at 24" (102 within 12") using the 'First rank, fire! Second rank, fire!' order, not counting the five autocannons (10 attacks at 48", good against light armor) and grenade launchers (crowd control and light anti-armor at 24") it has. If properly distributed, the heavy weapon squads turn the entire map into a killing field, for armor and infantry, and the infantry can slaughter even a concentrated charge with their help. The veterans are just there because I needed two troop choices (the platoon counting as one troop choice), but their flamers deal with anything that gets closer to the infantry/can be used to assault a position if need be. In theory, at least. I haven't played enough games with it to know for certain. It did leave a space marine player hiding behind some buildings on the other side of the map, unable to advance, despite dropping a dreadnought on me, though. :D

Of course, take my opinions with a grain of salt. I have fairly limited experience, though I learned a good deal from Neruz, before he was cruelly slain for being flamed by the foul villain Pathos. D:

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: August 10, 2010, 08:34:06 am »

That space marine player seriously underestimated his marines armour. Probably would have done more damage charging forward and dropping the dreadnought after :P

Of course, I play orcs, so that's roughly my tactic for everything.

"BOSS, DA HUMIES GOT A DREDDIE AN WE CANNAE HURT IT WITH AR' CHOPPA'S"

"Out da' way! WAAAAGGGHHHHHHH"
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 199