Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171129 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2295 on: June 28, 2010, 09:39:51 am »

Game is done, necrons won thanks to his linked up firepirss constantly missing and my immortals being huge credit to team *heavy voice*

Necrons was my first army and i love em :3.
Seriously, you lose like two squads a round and go Aww shits, gg... and nope, they get back up right away. T5 all around doesn't feel bad either and necron lord + sync and destroyer body is a serious beast for tank killing. No saves allowed ever and 5Str. +2d6 hits... 3x?
Nice-.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: June 28, 2010, 10:08:54 am »

Aw, screw it!

I just remembered what I was supposed to get at the store: green stuff.
Can't find my old strips of the stuff.
Was hanging at the store yesterday aimlessly browsing the merchandise and ambushing the clerks, eventually got a pot of yellowish foundation paint.

On a brighter note though: there are 40k campaign battles being organized at 500PV (and higher), that means I could potentially play with my new army.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: June 28, 2010, 10:29:59 am »

I'm using eldar models to represent my Gangers in Necromunda. I can get hold of the models (via mail order), but it's ridiculous prices, and I don't get too many games anyway. Pretty much only 1 guy I know plays it. On the other hand, I live in Nottingham, fairly near Warhammer World, so getting a game on shouldn't be Too hard.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: June 28, 2010, 10:50:41 am »

heh.
Same here, only one guy I know plays it, and were not talking. :(
Lost most of my bald gangers when the shop I used to play in closed and some of the inventory disappeared.
Probably could get a game on in a private (non-gw) gamestore, but without the gangers it is hardly worth the trouble.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: June 28, 2010, 11:04:02 am »

What is your 500 Point army?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: June 28, 2010, 07:24:45 pm »

a squad of bloodclaws and some scouts. heavy on flamers. and jumppacks. :D

I used to own a 2000+ army, but it got stolen as well. (its a trend)

---
edit
I just did a roundup and the total comes nearer to 1000pv now.
my 500pv list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:58:30 am by Areyar »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: July 01, 2010, 04:20:50 am »

Is that Yiff Marine army!? >:O
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: July 01, 2010, 05:01:13 am »

Oh God!

Areyar! Hide.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: July 01, 2010, 06:22:21 am »

Gah, I haven't touched my Sisters in at least two months. I need to fix this tomorrow.

Very belated innuendo.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: August 07, 2010, 05:47:05 pm »

I've been stuck home, bored out of my mind, since a concert last week. So finally I sat down, and started dicking around with IG army lists, intending to try to find a game on V40k. At some point, I realized I could jam a leman russ punisher with plasma cannons into a 500 point army, which led to the creation of this list:
Code: [Select]
IG: 500
  Lord Commissar +70: 70
  Veteran Squad +70x2: 200
    Lascannon +20x2
    Grenade launcher +5x4
  Leman Russ Punisher +180: 230
    Heavy Stubber +10
    Plasma Cannon Sponsons +40
Now, the punisher's 24" S5 AP- 20 heavy main gun certainly sounds good, though I'm unsure how its average of 10 hits per volley (leman russes having a BS of 3, for a 50% hit chance) compares to higher strength blast weapons (like almost every other option for the leman russ), like the executioner plasma cannon, which works out to three regular plasma cannons. It stands to reason that it would chew up light infantry, especially with its heavy bolter and stubber, with plasma cannons supplementing it for a bit of light anti-tank/heavy infantry. But I'm quite unfamiliar with Leman Russes in practice, having only ever played against the default variety, so some input there would be nice.

The main weak point of the army, as I see it, is anti-tank. It has a grand total of two decent anti-armor options, though fortunately in BS4 units, so there's a decent chance of scoring a hit (88% that at least one will hit, 44% that both hit), and it's unlikely there would be too many heavy units in a 500 point game. It also has the grenade launchers, which serve a dual purpose of crowd control and weak anti-armor, assuming the other player was kind enough to move their light armor within 24" of my veteran squads. :/

A little more work gave me this list:
Code: [Select]
IG: 1000
  Lord Commissar +70: 70
  Veteran Squad +70x2: 140
  Leman Russ Punisher +180: 230
    Heavy Stubber +10
    Plasma Cannon Sponsons +40
  Vendetta +130: 140
    Heavy Bolters +10
  Vendetta +130: 140
    Heavy Bolters +10
  Hellhound +130x2: 280
    Heavy Stubber +10x2
This has great anti-armor, negating the main weakness of the smaller army, in the two vendettas, which also grant a degree of mobility to the (now weaker) veterans. Between the Leman Russ and the Hellhounds, anti-infantry is also very strong, though the army concentrates all its offensive power into five models, leaving it weak against long-range anti-armor. Fortunately, most anti-armor is pretty shitty and short ranged, like meltas, meaning that if it's infantry-born it would get shredded, and longer range anti-armor is usually packaged into larger, more heavily armored targets, which the vendettas could make short work of. Of course, at that point it's mostly just a contest of "who gets to shoot first", but that's really the best you could hope for, when it comes down to it.

Any thoughts on these? Does anyone here even still remember v40k and its "oh shit I can actually play warhammer 40k without selling my car and house for a bunch of plastic shit"?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: August 07, 2010, 07:24:52 pm »

Yeah, working on putting together a tau army.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: August 08, 2010, 05:29:20 am »

Does anyone have a link to v40k? I googled for it, but only found torrents and a very old site about it. My google-fu is weak.

EDIT: And is there a "fantasy" module too?
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: August 08, 2010, 05:44:22 am »

Trawl the thread. It's in there, trust me.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: August 08, 2010, 07:53:57 am »

Hey guys. I'd love to get in on this, as I have a deep love for all things GrimDark, but I've got a couple of questions:

1. The mod itself. I found the version 5.2 link off of the lexicanum entry for Vassal 40K, but when trying to extract the files (with both winrar and then 7zip) it tells me the two files in it, one of which is the main vassal file for the game, are corrupted. This is the one you get from Mediafire. Is there another upload you guys know of?

2. I know I'm going to need a copy of the rules (Base 5th edition, which I don't have yet), but once I pick my army I'll also need their codex, correct? I'm thinking I'll either go with Orks or Necrons, just so everybody knows.

Anyway, #2 won't really matter if I can't get #1 resolved. Any help guys?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: August 08, 2010, 10:38:16 am »

Search 4chan's /rs/ board for "vassal". The things you want are "Vassal 40k.rar" and the tyranids 5th extension, which adds counters for the new units.

Sadly, I can't tell you here where to find scans of the rulebooks and codexes, but they're just about everywhere, if you know where to look.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 199