Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171204 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2190 on: March 22, 2010, 08:56:02 pm »

Considering the even-worse-than-sailing timeframes of travel across the Imperium, I wouldn't be surprised if the Cadian armies fighting the 'Nids and Tau were actually born and trained on the way there.
I was about to mention that the journey from the Eye of Terror to the Tau worlds would probably take the better part of a lifetime, especially taking into consideration that the soldiers would already be in their twenties to thirties when they set out. The notion that they're children of originally Cadian soldiers in a regiment that slowly wound its way across the galaxy does make a bit more sense, actually. Although the author's thoughts were probably nothing more than just randomly picking an established brand of guardsmen without thinking about the complications...

I mean, codex fluff is generally pretty shitty. Well, sourcebook fluff in any game is pretty shitty, since it's generally just some a priori bullshit the author(s) pulled out of their ass(es). At least in my experience.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: March 22, 2010, 09:57:52 pm »

That's part of why Cadia does win; they're not so much more competent than other planet's soldiers (although they are intrinsically better soldiers), they're just even less afraid of dying than most Guardsmen and there's a whole load more of them to throw at a problem.

As for why they pop up all over the place, there's also Games Workshop's handwaive that many planets seek to emulate Cadia's success by wearing their jerseys; hence there's only two plastic model lines for a galaxy of armies.  Cadians do wind up all over the place though.  Considering the even-worse-than-sailing timeframes of travel across the Imperium, I wouldn't be surprised if the Cadian armies fighting the 'Nids and Tau were actually born and trained on the way there.

Or born and trained twenty years from now.

This is the warp, there's at least one documented instance of a ship answering it's own distress signal.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: March 22, 2010, 10:43:35 pm »

That's part of why Cadia does win; they're not so much more competent than other planet's soldiers (although they are intrinsically better soldiers), they're just even less afraid of dying than most Guardsmen and there's a whole load more of them to throw at a problem.

As for why they pop up all over the place, there's also Games Workshop's handwaive that many planets seek to emulate Cadia's success by wearing their jerseys; hence there's only two plastic model lines for a galaxy of armies.  Cadians do wind up all over the place though.  Considering the even-worse-than-sailing timeframes of travel across the Imperium, I wouldn't be surprised if the Cadian armies fighting the 'Nids and Tau were actually born and trained on the way there.

This is the warp, there's at least one documented instance of a ship answering it's own distress signal.
Not to mention the time an Ork Waagh! went into the warp, ended in the past, and the warboss killed his past self to get a second copy of his favorite gun.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: March 22, 2010, 10:56:18 pm »

I prefer the one where the Orkz went into the eye of terror, pillages all kinds of planets, and then landed on some kind of blood-world where they battled huge Khorne-daemons for hours until everything was dead, and every morning they were all resurrected to do it again.

The warboss had finally found heaven.
Shoes...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: March 22, 2010, 11:14:18 pm »

Not to mention the time an Ork Waagh! went into the warp, ended in the past, and the warboss killed his past self to get a second copy of his favorite gun.

The really mind-bending part of this is that Warboss is still around. With both guns.

I prefer the one where the Orkz went into the eye of terror, pillages all kinds of planets, and then landed on some kind of blood-world where they battled huge Khorne-daemons for hours until everything was dead, and every morning they were all resurrected to do it again.

The warboss had finally found heaven.

I like how as the Warboss is finally dying, he reaches up between the Bloodthirster's legs and makes a gesture of his own.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: March 23, 2010, 02:23:16 am »

There is a reason I am in fucking love with Orks and their codex.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: March 23, 2010, 03:25:02 am »

If somebody doesn't like Orks, they they are taking the game too seriously/have no soul.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: March 23, 2010, 03:45:51 am »

The best part about the Orks is that they are probably the Galaxy's only legit chance against the 'Nids.

A galaxy-wide WAAAGH! would be able to stand against the full might of the 'Nid Hive Fleets. The Toasters at their full power might also be able to stand against them, but there's a very good chance that they'd take too long to wake up to stop them. Yes, the Orks are the only hope to save the Galaxy.

I'm hoping that one day GW will get new management or something and someone will decide to advance the story instead of having it go around in circles. Assuming that someone knows what he's doing, that will most probably mean Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka leading a Galaxy-Wide WAAAGH! into the face of the major Tyranid Hive Fleet. Which will be awesome.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: March 23, 2010, 04:17:19 am »

I'm pretty sure it was the 4th edition Tyranid codex that described the Imperial plan to divert a hivefleet into the Empire of Octavius.  I.E., trick the Nids into eating Orks for a while and multitask the Manifest Destiny.  Then they noticed the Tyranids getting bigger and greener and drifting back out of Ork space again.

Feh.  The bugs are such an overblown metathreat anyway.  I think the writers bit off more than they could chew by insisting so hard that the Nids can and will consume the entire galaxy.  Now they have to own up or shut up, or just keep looking like no-story-advancing ninnies.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: March 23, 2010, 04:27:44 am »

Yeah, i'm getting a bit tired of the story not advancing at all.

The stupidest part is, advance the story, have the MOEST EPICEST CAMPAIGN EVER as the Nids arrive in full force and the Orks fight them off, with the other races launching desperate attempts to defend agaisnt Nid splinter forces and to strike down Nid 'supply lines' to assist the Orcs, while the Orcs go on the offence and eat their way into the Hive Fleet, then have the Orks win, but suffer greatly, perhaps Ghazghkull goes missing and transcends to God status in the eyes of the Orks or something.

End result; storyline has gone somewhere, but the game is effectively the same. Everyone is back on evenish power levels due to the raping by the Nids, the Nids are beaten but there are just flat out so many of them that there are still hundreds of splinter fleets scattered all across the Galaxy, the Orks are triumphant but decimated by the conflict, the story advances and the game continues. Plus it gives GW a chance to start building some new characters instead of recycling old ones constantly.

Then, looming on the horizon, the next threat; a massive Galaxy-wide fistfight between the Toasters, who are all reactivating thanks to the Hive Fleet invasion, and the Chaos Gods, who's hands have been forced by the reviving Toasters and have decided to take advantage of the chaos in the Nids wake to make their move on reality! All of which is a culmination of a massive Thirty Xanetos Pileup by the Deciever, Tzeentch and the Eldar!

How would that not be awesome.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: March 23, 2010, 04:32:01 am »

How would you go about introducing new Toasters? I'm sure there's a way, but it'd seem contrived, wouldn't it?

More contrived than usual, I mean. Or maybe not.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: March 23, 2010, 04:52:14 am »

Not really, with the Tomb Worlds waking up new Toasters would be entirely expected.

It's been long hinted that the Toasters currently awake have awakened prematurely, more importantly the ones currently awake aren't actually the Toaster army, they're raiders and workers. Tomb Spyders for example are purely maintainence drones, they're not intended for combat at all. The Toaster forces that are intended to be combat capable are light forces intended for lightning raids into enemy territory and mass harvesting operations on undefended worlds.

If the Toasters start waking up properly, then we'd start seeing their real military hardware coming online, the Tomb Stalker is a hinted-at example of what a real piece of Toaster military hardware looks like; a massive Titan-sized spiderbot capable of eating Baneblades for breakfast and reliably downing a pair of Imperial Titans. If GW also take the opportunity to awaken the Void Dragon then there'd be an opportunity for crazy fun, as he's basically the Mad Scientist C'tan and is primarily responsible for most of the Toaster technology.

As for introducing new Toaster characters; it's established that the higher quality Toasters; Lords, Immortals, retain much of their former personalities. New Lords would awaken along with the new Tomb Worlds, and as creativity and initiative are vital in a true battle situation i'd expect that the Toaster Lords that are actually supposed to be responsible for military actions would retain much more of their former personalities and skills. Furthermore, the advancement of the Pariah program means more Human Blanks being converted into Toasters, and it seems entirely reasonable to assume that Pariahs retain much of their former personality as well.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: March 23, 2010, 05:04:05 am »

End result; storyline has gone somewhere, but the game is effectively the same. Everyone is back on evenish power levels due to the raping by the Nids, the Nids are beaten but there are just flat out so many of them that there are still hundreds of splinter fleets scattered all across the Galaxy, the Orks are triumphant but decimated by the conflict, the story advances and the game continues. Plus it gives GW a chance to start building some new characters instead of recycling old ones constantly.

Isn't that what The Fall of Medusa V was all about?  Not that it appears to have accomplished a whole lot, aside from giving Games Workshop license to not make another Tau codex for a while and hype up the Marines even more.  But they've already set the precendent with their Global Campaign idea; it'd be nice to see the effort expanded.  Or at least repeated once.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: March 23, 2010, 05:23:56 am »

Pretty much, but Medusa V was on a smaller scale from a lore perspective.

It was also by far the most awesomest campaign ever. I reckon if they expand the concept, have the battle results actually impact ongoing fights in other locations as they come in and bring in some more Apocalypse scenarios shit could really get epic.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: March 31, 2010, 09:42:16 pm »

I have really been craving some Warhams lately, anyone up for a game on Vassal?  I'm pretty open when it comes to when, and I still think we should do a campaign.  We'd probably have to do custom rules though, the Planetary Empires rules are a little lacklustre.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 199