Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171232 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2160 on: March 21, 2010, 06:05:58 pm »

Also, if it was a Tomb World, why were the Nids there? It's a pretty solidly established canon fact that the Nids avoid Tomb Worlds for some as-yet unknown reason.

Necrons don't get tired for some unknown reason too.

I will say that I kinda like the "story", as it gives real players license to play group games with different armies in alliances that should never ever be.  I do gripe a little with the setting that it's always "everybody at each other's throats all the time no matter what".

That said, the "story" was some pretty blatant violation of canon all the same, with the tiring Necrons and Space Marines pulling their MarineSue bullshit of "we vow to kill absolutely everyone all the time, except when we have the opportunity for a dramatic tableau so we can prove we're the good guys."  Games Workshop, I am disappoint.

The amusing part is that if it didn't have the 'alliance' crap, it would be totally legit. If the SM's had pulled back from the Toasters and hit the 'Nids, they could have totally justified the Toasters switching their attention to the 'Nids and both sides beating the shit out of the 'Nids without not actually allied to each other.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: March 21, 2010, 06:12:53 pm »

How would you justify having the Marines on the game board if they pulled back?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: March 21, 2010, 06:15:32 pm »

Holograms?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: March 21, 2010, 06:16:49 pm »

Having a picnic.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: March 21, 2010, 06:20:48 pm »

Marines on one side, nids in the middle, Toasters on the other side.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: March 21, 2010, 06:24:14 pm »

Waitaminute.

I totally missed the most rediculous part of that:

The Blood Angels found the idea of turning on the Toasters after the fight distasteful because they had both fought against the 'Nids.

Every single Blood Angel in that battle is now guilty of Heresy of the highest order. The only way they could make it worse heresy would be to actively convert to Chaos worship.

Not really. The whole "KILL THE XENOS!" rhetoric is really just for show; it takes too much resources to really exterminate every foe out there. There has been instances in the fluff where Imperial commanders can work with other races to combat a greater threat, but these "alliances" usually are with Tau and Eldar, not Necrons.

As long as the Blood Angels state that they will eventually kill the Necrons, they'll be fine.

That doesn't explain why the Nids walked right into the death trap that they usually avoid. Maybe they're stupid Nids? Maybe they were being sent by the Hivemind to be executed?

EDIT:
Quote from: Sethero
There are hundreds of minor species with which the Imperium "does business". There are minor empires along the borders like the Tau with which the Imperium will deal with on a political and economic basis, either due to their planets lacking resources valued by the Imperium or due to circumstances that make wiping them out less efficient and viable than just cutting deals with them (in the Tau's circumstances, they represent less of a threat than a hive fleet in the same sector). While the "kill all aliens" mantra is heavily sported around the Imperium, for the most part it is a rule of thumb rather than a hard law... with so many major threats out there, minor empires and worlds are basically ignored in favor of dealing with greater threats.

At any given time the threat of any race can be of paramount importance. It simply doesn't do to list them in any set of priority; the scale of the threat presented is the main and overwhelming factor. A chaos cult is bad, but that hive fleet coming in sector is much, much. much worse. That reported ork infestation on the backwater moon of Jopax is certainly a concern, but that Tau invasion force detected in orbit around forgeworld Zeydus V is definitely the more important situation to resolve.

In terms of the day to day populations of worlds, few of them will have heard anything specific about 95% of the aliens in the galaxy. They know to fear those who are different, and they know that there are evil aliens all over the place, but the average citizen's understanding of the galaxy is greatly lacking in regards to the types of evil threats that are out there, often remaining uninformed about them unless there is a chance of contact between the population and a particular xeno race.

EDIT2: And the quote stated that both sides were already far too weakened...maybe the reason the Blood Angels found such an action distasteful is that they realized the Necrons still lived after the assault?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:29:13 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: March 21, 2010, 06:27:14 pm »

Waitaminute.

I totally missed the most rediculous part of that:

The Blood Angels found the idea of turning on the Toasters after the fight distasteful because they had both fought against the 'Nids.

Every single Blood Angel in that battle is now guilty of Heresy of the highest order. The only way they could make it worse heresy would be to actively convert to Chaos worship.

Not really. The whole "KILL THE XENOS!" rhetoric is really just for show; it takes too much resources to really exterminate every foe out there. There has been instances in the fluff where Imperial commanders can work with other races to combat a greater threat, but these "alliances" usually are with Tau and Eldar, not Necrons.

As long as the Blood Angels state that they will eventually kill the Necrons, they'll be fine.

That doesn't explain why the Nids walked right into the death trap that they usually avoid. Maybe they're stupid Nids? Maybe they were being sent by the Hivemind to be executed?

Alliances with Tau and Eldar are alright, at least those races aren't flat out psychopathic killers. But Toasters?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: March 21, 2010, 06:33:05 pm »

Assuming the necrons even consent to the alliance.  That's not really their thing.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: March 21, 2010, 06:35:23 pm »

Assuming the necrons even consent to the alliance.  That's not really their thing.

The Deceiver drew the Hivemind there after he attracted the Blood Angels to attack the planet, then had his slaves "ally" with the dumbfounded Marines, so in the future the Marines will be more trusting, perhaps even hopeful, of the Necron presence until it's far too late.

It was all an elaborate plot to destroy the Imperium.  There, I just saved the fluff.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: March 21, 2010, 06:41:17 pm »

The Deceiver drew the Hivemind there after he attracted the Blood Angels to attack the planet, then had his slaves "ally" with the dumbfounded Marines, so in the future the Marines will be more trusting, perhaps even hopeful, of the Necron presence until it's far too late.

It was all an elaborate plot to destroy the Imperium.  There, I just saved the fluff.

That actually sounds insane enough to be legit.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: March 21, 2010, 06:43:37 pm »

Yes, there's a degree of pragmatism with some Imperial leaders, that stops them from needlessly wasting resources trying to fight relatively benign forces just for the hell of it. The problem is, these are a) Space Marines, who are supposed to be suicidally retarded killing machines whose response to so much as an odd look is "IS HERESY! KILL KILL KILL KILL!", and b) Toasters, who are mindless killing machines that put the space marines to shame.

Then there's the issue of Tyranids showing up on a barren tomb world, although the mention that it's a splinter fleet could be taken as an indication it was fleeing from a losing conflict, and desperate. None of which is mentioned, or explained, so the only conclusion that can be drawn is that the author is a fuckwit. But then, what do you expect from a mary sue codex like that?

I should note that I haven't read the codex yet, though I did locate a shitton of scans of it with a moments work. I also didn't read the yiff marine codex, or bother looking for it. Nor really the base marine codex, aside from the army list/armory and such.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: March 21, 2010, 06:44:44 pm »

And then some chaos marines came along and said "sorry" to the blood angels about the heresy, and then the blood angels went D'awwww and let the Heretics join them and then they went and gave the T'au and eldar hugs and then they went to the orkz, who decided they would run a small bakery rather than cause WAAAGH!s.

The End.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: March 21, 2010, 06:49:32 pm »

An Ork Baker would make the best bread ever.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: March 21, 2010, 06:56:36 pm »

And the the Tau and their Grey Knight Auxiliaries allied with the Tyranids bearing down on them and it became Peacehammer 40k
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: March 21, 2010, 06:58:42 pm »

And then some chaos marines came along and said "sorry" to the blood angels about the heresy, and then the blood angels went D'awwww and let the Heretics join them and then they went and gave the T'au and eldar hugs and then they went to the orkz, who decided they would run a small bakery rather than cause WAAAGH!s.

The Tyranids devoured everything and everyone before them as they flowed across the Temple World towards the great shrine of Mac'Guffine's Blunt Object of Importance.  A hard-bitten company of Guardmen, last survivors of their garrison, rally at the feet of the Chapter Master and his bloodied entourage.  They surrender the chance for a glorious death, to safeguard the Sororitas and their Grey Knight advisers, to spirit off-world the most sacred artifact.  All hope of rescue lost, they approach the Tau drop-team with an ultimatum: surrender your vessels, that we may leave this doomed world, or be destroyed.

The Tau commander, knowing no concept of honorable death, insists he can save them all, eager to prove the efficacy and benevolence of the Greater Good.  The Tzeentchian sorcerer cabal, Last Council of Seers, and the wily Archon's guard, guided by three paths of the warp arrive at the same destination, all reveal themselves, bargaining their skill for a chance at escape.  Awed by such a gathering of might, the last gang of Orks cannot help but stumble along in tow.  And unbeknown to all until the last moment, a mechanical shadow rises to their aid.

Now, the desperate champions must put aside their ancient antagonism, if only for a few moments, and fight back to back for their lives against the ravening horde.

You know you want to see it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:00:46 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 199