Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171245 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2130 on: March 12, 2010, 05:58:08 pm »

Green Stuff\Green Goo\Orc Snot is the widely accepted way to make custom models. But generally so long as the final result looks awesome and you don't have an anally retentive opponant, anything goes.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: March 12, 2010, 08:08:05 pm »

you could do so if you used a high-quality POLYMER clay, and made non-crappy models from it.

That'd sit fine with most people, you could even sell them.

Regular clay? i think not. :P

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: March 12, 2010, 08:27:16 pm »

i have a question about vassal 40k.

Can you save mid battle and finish later? And how large a map does it support?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: March 12, 2010, 10:33:40 pm »

I'd like to point out that discussion on Vassal occupied about 30 pages of the thread a while back. Not that it's not good advice.
I'd like to point out that I was involved in that discussion, and in fact played against you once or twice on it (and won >:O... :3). And yes, the last 50 pages or so involve V40K, but it's helpful to bring up what it is and how to get it now and then, since I can't imagine anyone in their right mind reading through this entire thread (I did, back when it was only 40 pages or so... yeah, what a way to waste a few hours...).

Hmmm... Just got a hold of a scan of the new tyranid codex, reading the rules now. Also got the Tyranid 5e extension for v40k.

Fucking goodness gracious that's embarrassing.

I apologize.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: March 13, 2010, 05:04:22 am »

Yes, and absurdly large, though being LOL JAVA it lags horribly if you get more than a few standard boards (4' by 6', right?).

I'd like to point out that discussion on Vassal occupied about 30 pages of the thread a while back. Not that it's not good advice.
I'd like to point out that I was involved in that discussion, and in fact played against you once or twice on it (and won >:O... :3). And yes, the last 50 pages or so involve V40K, but it's helpful to bring up what it is and how to get it now and then, since I can't imagine anyone in their right mind reading through this entire thread (I did, back when it was only 40 pages or so... yeah, what a way to waste a few hours...).

Hmmm... Just got a hold of a scan of the new tyranid codex, reading the rules now. Also got the Tyranid 5e extension for v40k.

Fucking goodness gracious that's embarrassing.

I apologize.
:-\
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: March 13, 2010, 05:13:52 am »

In case you're wondering, mixing curse words is a habit I haven't been able to shake.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: March 13, 2010, 07:49:54 am »

It was the second or third turn, and you got the griffin the turn after. It attacked once and then I killed it. :D
No, it was definitely 4th turn. And yeah, artillery without meatshield sucks. But if I had both entrenched infantry and Gryphon at the same...
See how awesome that strategy was? He's still mad enough to abandon his post and charge me across open ground. :P

If we hadn't had half our forces in reserve, I'd have killed the griffin on my second turn with the shining spears. And you probably would have wound up charging me out of PURE, UNADULTERATED RAGE.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: March 13, 2010, 07:58:46 am »

To get to the Griffin you'd have to go through entrenched shotguns. Maybe even get in assault range.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: March 13, 2010, 08:00:52 am »

To get to the Griffin you'd have to go through entrenched shotguns. Maybe even get in assault range.
Jetbikes.

I rest my case.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: March 13, 2010, 08:09:55 am »

Damn it, I guess I have to reinstall Vassal.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: March 13, 2010, 08:35:53 am »

Not just any Jetbikes. Eldar "I can move 6 inches during the assault phase because i am a gigantic cock" Jetbikes.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: March 13, 2010, 08:50:25 am »

Not just any Jetbikes. Eldar "I can move 6 inches during the assault phase because i am a gigantic cock" Jetbikes.
But they can only move 6" in the movement phase unless they're going flatout, in which case they don't get the 6" in the assault phase. Really, all that means is they can move out from behind something, shoot, and move back in, which is really all they have going for them as far as mobility is concerned.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: March 13, 2010, 10:43:54 am »

Yes, and absurdly large, though being LOL JAVA it lags horribly if you get more than a few standard boards (4' by 6', right?).

Nice. If I ever get the damn thing working, does anyone want to play a 10000 point game, and fight over a large city?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: March 13, 2010, 11:04:27 am »

Nice. If I ever get the damn thing working, does anyone want to play a 10000 point game, and fight over a large city?
That would take a damn long time to play through. A 10K point IG army would be fun to mess around with, though... Or the new tyranid army...

Also, how to get v40k running:
Download Vassal
Search for "vassal" on 4chan's /rs/
Download vassal 40k.rar and "tyranids 5th vassal"
Start up vassal, and add the v40k vmod file
Right click v40k on the module library and select "add extension", select the tyranid file
Get one of us to tell you how to use v40k, or read through the pdf that should be packaged in that rar

Anyone have opinions on the new tyranid codex? I just got around to looking through it, and it seems like it increases the viability of a cheap infantry horde while adding variety to the more expensive units, at first glance. Doesn't seem like it nerfs anything, though it does reduce the number of options for customizing units. All in all it seems more interesting than the old one, which left me rather uninspired. Like the Space Marine and Chaos Mareeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen codexes. Or really anything but IG and loldar jetbikes. And daemons, I suppose, those were fun but kind of shit.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: March 13, 2010, 07:39:28 pm »

But they can only move 6" in the movement phase unless they're going flatout, in which case they don't get the 6" in the assault phase. Really, all that means is they can move out from behind something, shoot, and move back in, which is really all they have going for them as far as mobility is concerned.

Uh, no. Eldar Jetblikes, like all bikes, move 12" in the Movement phase. They then have a speshul rule where they can also move 6" during the Assault phase, even if they don't assault.

In the hands of the right player, this can be lethal, allowing them to kite from behind impassable terrain and cause heavy losses with no way to retaliate.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 199