Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171246 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2115 on: March 12, 2010, 05:05:17 am »

One more stupid question. Concerning the ridiculous monies involved, will I get booed off the table if I have a lego army? :P
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: March 12, 2010, 05:07:43 am »

Depends on where you go. I've been known to play with little cardbord circles with letters on them.

Generally though, 40k uses 'Real Line of Sight' so having the correct models is kind of important.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: March 12, 2010, 05:10:29 am »

Depends on the venue.  I for one would be proud to face the Lego Menace.  Tournaments?  No.

While the cost of Citadel miniatures does feel ridiculous, and could probably be a lot lower, if you look around Games Workshop is still reasonable.  Every other miniature gaming models available, in the non-historical 25mm scale anyway, are considerably more expensive, often lower quality, and pretty hit-or-miss selection of stuff.  I've looked and asked around.  All things considered, Games Workshop actually is the best supplier.

Still a stupidly expensive hobby, considering you have to assemble and paint the damn things yourself just to play an over elaborate board game.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: March 12, 2010, 05:48:47 am »

You can, it should be noted, play the game without spending a cent, using V40K. It's not the same as using actual models, sure, but it works almost as well. You can find the vassal module by searching for "vassal" on 4chan's /rs/ board. That also lets you play with people who are literally on the other side of the world. I've done so a few times, though their Lolstralian internet tends to give out. ::)
I would highly reccomend not starting with the Eldar, as they are basically the "Elite Race", you need a really solid understanding of the game to get anywhere with Eldar.

If you want an army that uses small numbers of high-point units, you're choices are basically Space Marines and Toasters, possibly Chaos Marines.
I don't know, Loldar require some thought, but they're not that hard to use to hilarious effect. Their good units are absurdly expensive though, both in points and IRL jewgolds. The 500 point jetbike army I used and loved would cost around $200 to buy. For about a dozen models. >:|

-What's a good army? I've played Space Marines once before. I was thinking Squats Eldar, maybe. They're long range guys, right? I'd also like an army that's effective with fewer, high-point units than the other way around, mostly for price reasons.
Eldar are fairly short range, but fast as fuck all and devastating  once in range. Tau and IG are more long range oriented.
-Is there a way to get models without paying a billion, million dollars?
Rob a game/hobby shop? :P

You might get some cheap buying used models, though if they're going cheap they're probably poorly put together/painted or broken, I seem to remember hearing well done shit sells for more than new. Don't have any firsthand knowledge of this though.

-Can I play Squats even though they aren't in the game? Do you usually just collect one army, or do you like to spread the love? Do people ever do mixed-army fights?
From what I understand, any Imperial units can be tacked together into an army (guardsmen providing cannon fodder for marines; guardsmen providing cannon fodder for witchhunters... you get the picture). I also hear Tau can appropriate IG units as local auxiliaries. Don't know how true either of those rules are though.

Anyone else think it would be hilarious to build a model out of paint and one of those cheap little plastic soldiers (as in, very thick paint, layered on until it was the shape of whatever), and take pictures showing the steps, with the comment "I forgot to thin my paints D:"? :3
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: March 12, 2010, 05:55:29 am »

I'd like to point out that discussion on Vassal occupied about 30 pages of the thread a while back. Not that it's not good advice.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: March 12, 2010, 06:40:09 am »

I'd like to point out that discussion on Vassal occupied about 30 pages of the thread a while back. Not that it's not good advice.
I'd like to point out that I was involved in that discussion, and in fact played against you once or twice on it (and won >:O... :3). And yes, the last 50 pages or so involve V40K, but it's helpful to bring up what it is and how to get it now and then, since I can't imagine anyone in their right mind reading through this entire thread (I did, back when it was only 40 pages or so... yeah, what a way to waste a few hours...).

Hmmm... Just got a hold of a scan of the new tyranid codex, reading the rules now. Also got the Tyranid 5e extension for v40k.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: March 12, 2010, 06:53:25 am »

I don't know, Loldar require some thought, but they're not that hard to use to hilarious effect. Their good units are absurdly expensive though, both in points and IRL jewgolds. The 500 point jetbike army I used and loved would cost around $200 to buy. For about a dozen models. >:|

Maybe, i've never seen a non-experienced player do well with an Eldar army though. Especially in 5th edition in order to do really well as Eldar you need to have a pretty good knowledge of the rules unless you're against a player who also lacks rules knowledge.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: March 12, 2010, 06:59:11 am »

It sucks to realize that you lack the money for such an expensive hobby AFTER you buy a necron starterpack.
To bad this awesome game has to be so expensive :/

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: March 12, 2010, 09:01:24 am »

I slaughtered IG once with a loldar jetbike army by luring them out of cover with MY AWESOME DISPLAY OF AWESOMENESS obnoxious bullshit that pissed the other player off enough that he abandoned his trench and charged at me across open ground. ::)
Only because my god damn Gryphon didn't come in reinforcements and it was already 4th turn. I'd rather die in a blaze of glory than have a game end in stalemate.

If I got my mortar on 1st or second turn, I'd let you hide behind your hill all you wanted.

Oh, and I'm never ever again playing a scenario with the reinforcements stuff if I'm using a 500p army.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: March 12, 2010, 11:35:54 am »

It was the second or third turn, and you got the griffin the turn after. It attacked once and then I killed it. :D

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: March 12, 2010, 01:49:59 pm »

Hrm, when I said Eldar, I definitely meant to say Tau. Are those any good for starting off as?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: March 12, 2010, 02:13:47 pm »

It was the second or third turn, and you got the griffin the turn after. It attacked once and then I killed it. :D
No, it was definitely 4th turn. And yeah, artillery without meatshield sucks. But if I had both entrenched infantry and Gryphon at the same...
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: March 12, 2010, 03:01:14 pm »

It's actually possible to buy the miniatures for cheap, but it has to be either from eBay or from an 2nd party store. Pretty much anywhere that isn't GW.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: March 12, 2010, 04:39:05 pm »

Hrm, when I said Eldar, I definitely meant to say Tau. Are those any good for starting off as?

Better than Eldar, the important thing to remember with Tau though is that their codex is outdated and references rules that no longer exist, which actually has a huge impact on how they play. But so long as you remember that the 5th Corebook overrides some of the rules mentioned in the Tau book like shooters forced to attack the nearest enemy you're good.

Tau don't really fit your request for an army with small numbers of powerful units though. While their battlesuits are very powerful and they have the hilarious Railgun that pops vechs like balloons, they need to bulk up their army with extremely squishy troops who should never get within 12 inches of another model ever.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: March 12, 2010, 05:53:37 pm »

Hey, on the subject of alternatives to buying the models, would it be permissible to make them out of clay? While I was thinking about it, I came up with this exchange.
"Sir, the men have noticed something strange about the enemy."
"What?"
"Um, well, they are ceramic, sir."
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 199