Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171290 times)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #855 on: October 15, 2009, 02:09:47 pm »

I'd go for a pack of Boyz, yeah.

Also, i believe ramming should cause the same damage there. Maybe a leetle more.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 15, 2009, 02:48:46 pm »

So if I were to get a few models to see how good I am at painting them, what would be best?  A pack of Boyz?

If you're not going to play with them, only paint for display purposes, I'd just look in the store for a model (or a few) that speak to your creative side.

I find painting an entire squad very tiresome, but on the other side, the plastic box sets are extremely easy and fun to modify. Good value.

Plastic models paint differently then metal ones, I prefer metal myself. (remove excess flash, degrease, undercoat first!)

---
Do you already have a collection of paints from other hobbies or what brand/type of paint are you planning on using. (I advice use of waterbased acrylic, and against modelling paints with a solvent base such as Revell.)

---
If this will be your very first time doing models, I suggest you visit a Games Workshop. They generally have tutorial sessions on modding / painting / creating terrain / playing game X, etc. My experience is that they will have various (free) plastic models (and utensils/paint) available at all times and are more than willing to take time to instruct you.

===
edit
PS I've scanned those Space Rat sketches I mentioned earlier,  anyone want to see them?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 02:50:37 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: October 15, 2009, 02:58:20 pm »

Sure, post them.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: October 15, 2009, 03:01:59 pm »

PS I've scanned those Space Rat sketches I mentioned earlier,  anyone want to see them?

Yes.  I want to see them.

An equipment for a Battlewagon, it deals D6 S10 damage to Tank Shocked units. However, the codex does not specify if it causes the same amount of damage while ramming. What's your opinion on it?

I would say no.  A vehicle being hit by a Dethrolla would be like getting hit by a really large wheel, so the basic ramming rules should cover it.  Whatever you want though.

What I wonder is, are all those extra guns you can stick on wagons Turreted by nature, or does their arc of fire depend on how you stick them to the model?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: October 15, 2009, 03:19:44 pm »

a deathrolla is a bit more damaging than a normal collision; imagine a headon encounter with a steamroller... squish!

===

I'll EDIT the images into this post.
Its fun to draw again, though it is not like a physical skill. I used to sketch quite good skaven, but my skills have rusted, my current attempts look more like wolves.
Oh well. uploading to PB.

edit
Don't comment on the lame poses or poor composition please, I know those elements suck. :P These are more like raw concept sketches or studies than artwork.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:49:56 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 15, 2009, 03:29:55 pm »

Yes.  I want to see them.

An equipment for a Battlewagon, it deals D6 S10 damage to Tank Shocked units. However, the codex does not specify if it causes the same amount of damage while ramming. What's your opinion on it?

I would say no.  A vehicle being hit by a Dethrolla would be like getting hit by a really large wheel, so the basic ramming rules should cover it.  Whatever you want though.

What I wonder is, are all those extra guns you can stick on wagons Turreted by nature, or does their arc of fire depend on how you stick them to the model?
The reason for the argument is that ramming is a special type of tank shock. Yes.

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 15, 2009, 03:45:18 pm »

ok, is Warhammer40k worth t he money?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 15, 2009, 03:48:11 pm »

ok, is Warhammer40k worth t he money?

I have to believe that's some trolling.  In which case, I salute your solid trollitude.

If it's not, you've come to the wrong place to ask friend.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 15, 2009, 03:52:53 pm »

If he was serious, I think the question he was asking was "If I were to invest time and money to purchase, paint, and use a Warhammer 40k army, would the current number of available tournaments and players pay back what I have invested into the hobby?".

Which reminds me, I'm thinking of giving this a second try. If I do give it one more chance, which army should I go for? I like the Imperial Guard's numbers, but only if it meant that I could try different strategies, and if they didn't work I'd still have enough men to win. Is this sound thinking, or does the Guard not have THAT big an advantage?

I also think the Tau, although squishy, would be fun. Is this recommended for a relatively inexperienced player?

Finally, besides Space Marines what is the most beginner-friendly army? I already tried a Marine army, and it did not work well for me.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 15, 2009, 03:59:18 pm »

You could go with the super-cheesy Plague Marines and Lash Prince combo.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 15, 2009, 04:11:11 pm »

Orks are a solid beginner army.  You can't go far wrong, just load up on whatever brand of Boyz strikes your fancy and charge in guns blazing, with spice to flavor.

The Tau on the other hand are reportedly a very hard army to learn.  I talked to a guy whose advice to aspiring Tau players was 'be prepared to lose at least your first dozen games'.  They were the last army written under the old, 3.5 edition style of army construction, and were considered unfairly hobbled even at the time.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 15, 2009, 04:25:02 pm »

@Space Rats:
 If 40K is like fantasy races in space, then is this Redwall in Space? Would there be gratuitous amounts of space food? Riddles spanning the galaxy to find ancient artifacts? Horrible space singing? Martin the Emperor?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 15, 2009, 04:27:42 pm »

@Space Rats:
 If 40K is like fantasy races in space, then is this Redwall in Space? Would there be gratuitous amounts of space food? Riddles spanning the galaxy to find ancient artifacts? Horrible space singing? Martin the Emperor?

Oh my God.  If only you knew how wrong you are...  Pleasant thought, though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 15, 2009, 04:28:11 pm »

Horrible space singing with all of the lyrics transcribed in every single song in every book.
Shoes...

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 15, 2009, 04:29:32 pm »

Duke, that last bit is just plain edging on heresy.

Soil not thou holy father with suggestions of furryness, or thou shall pay with a round to the head.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 199