Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171066 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #540 on: October 02, 2009, 09:58:23 pm »

Alright Mistah Shmarty Pantz, the one that was explicitly mentioned in the Codex. I'm too lazy to look it up.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 02, 2009, 10:31:09 pm »

The people that get turned into servitors are either clones or criminals that pissed off the Machine Cult.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 02, 2009, 10:39:56 pm »

I'm just wondering why the Emprah needs that many psykers (DAILY) just to get his juice. I mean, really now.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 02, 2009, 10:42:51 pm »

Oh sure. But the Imperium can still screw them over royally should they so choose.

Human Rights can only exist for a short space of time, because the Imperium has the better weapons.

Yes, but the Imperium needs money and meatshields. As long as they receive that, they will let the planet do whatever they want. The Imperium does need resources in order to function. You can't win a war when you blow every little planet up just because of some minor dispute.

I don't think i've ever seen a canonical excample of an Imperium world with human rights.

It's a game focused on perpertual wars. People don't really care what happens to people not waging war, because they would see it as pretty boring to read.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 02, 2009, 10:47:23 pm »

They don't have to blow up the planet. Just the people.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 02, 2009, 10:56:44 pm »

They don't have to, no.  But if you want a job done right, you wanna be thorough.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 02, 2009, 11:04:18 pm »

I don't think I've ever seen a canonical example of an Imperium world with human rights.

It's a game focused on perpetual wars. People don't really care what happens to people not waging war, because they would see it as pretty boring to read.

You've never played Dark Heresy, then.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:05:51 pm by Luke_Prowler »

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 02, 2009, 11:43:52 pm »

Obviously, to be granted the basic rights in the Imperium, you must of course pass an exam.

1. Your neighbor invites you to an off-planet club with Eldar strippers. What do you do?

• A.  Join him on his immoral escapade which will surely lead you both to Damnation.
  • B.  Decline attending the club with him.
  • C.  Plant a bomb in the club while you attend with your friend, and detonate it remotely on your way home.
  • D.  Obtain a flamer, and ignite the club, your neighbor inside, purging all the heretics and filthy xenos inside.

The correct answer is D, while C is close, you neglected to also kill your neighbor, who is certainly a heretic as well, while B entails an unacceptable level of tolerance for Heretics. If you answered incorrectly, Inquisitor Lord Torquemada has prepared the proper remedy.

2. You make an offhand remark about your undying love for The Emperor to your friend. Your friend merely shrugs and almost rolls his eyes. How do you react?

• A.  I report him to the local Inquisition.
  • B.  I let it slide because I also hate the Emperor.
  • C.  I tackle him to the ground and choke the life out of him, then report him to the inquisition.
  • D.  I grab a knife, tackle him to the ground, and make him declare his eternal love for The Holy God Emperor, then kill him before he has time to commit heresy again.

The Correct answer is D; while C is close, it fails to demonstrate adequate love for the Emperor. It however does not necessitate a visit from the inquisition. A is only acceptable if you also want to be investigated for heresy; if you answered B, the nearest armed civilian, Marine, Inquisitor, or Guardsman is openly encouraged to take a bolter or lasgun to your cerebellum
!!&!!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 03, 2009, 12:55:04 am »

Oh sure. But the Imperium can still screw them over royally should they so choose.

Human Rights can only exist for a short space of time, because the Imperium has the better weapons.

Yes, but the Imperium needs money and meatshields. As long as they receive that, they will let the planet do whatever they want. The Imperium does need resources in order to function. You can't win a war when you blow every little planet up just because of some minor dispute.

I don't think i've ever seen a canonical excample of an Imperium world with human rights.

It's a game focused on perpertual wars. People don't really care what happens to people not waging war, because they would see it as pretty boring to read.

You're severely underestimating the level of Grimdark the 40K universe entails.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 03, 2009, 07:06:28 am »

I think everyone is severely inflating Tyranid numbers. The way I see it, 'Nids are the galactic locust. They come in great numbers and eat everything in their path, but they leave a lifeless desert behind. Any that stay behind starve to death because there's nothing left to eat. So, while 'Nids may have eaten millions of planets, only a small percentage of these planets have living 'Nids (the ones that are in the process of being consumed).

Oh, and since each race is getting hypothetical advantages in this scenario, I say Adeptus Mechanicus recovers a fully functional STC.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 07:27:34 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 03, 2009, 07:50:46 am »

No, see, the Tyranids come in colossal numbers, eat everything and move on, growing all the while. Their numbers are huge.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 03, 2009, 07:53:11 am »

Yeah, but people are implying that there's Tyranids behind the Tyranids we see, but there clearly can't be any because they'd starve to death. So the Tyranid wave is very wide, but it doesn't have much depth. Orkz, on the other hand, don't consume the planets they inhabit, so I think it's a safe bet that there are more boyz than bugs in the galaxy.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 03, 2009, 08:02:15 am »

Oh, I see. That's true.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 03, 2009, 08:08:26 am »

What was that world that was like a paradise, and then people turned to Chaos and one in three people were executed by the Grey Knights?

Every planet in the Imperium.

Every.  Single.  Last.  One.
The Purging of Contqual, by the Iron Hands Chapter.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 03, 2009, 08:12:18 am »

Yeah, but people are implying that there's Tyranids behind the Tyranids we see, but there clearly can't be any because they'd starve to death. So the Tyranid wave is very wide, but it doesn't have much depth. Orkz, on the other hand, don't consume the planets they inhabit, so I think it's a safe bet that there are more boyz than bugs in the galaxy.

Actually the 'nid Hive Fleets go into stasis while they're travelling from Galaxy to Galaxy, so the ones arriving in the Imperium's Galaxy are fresh from their last Galaxy.

They also store large amounts of unused biomass in the Hive Fleets for use to create new warriors and weapons (most Tyranid warrior strains don't actually have a digestive tract, as they're bred in orbit and sent straight into the battle, not expected to live long enough to starve to death.)

If the Orks had every planet in the Galaxy, they might outnumber the 'nids. As is i'd say there's probably more 'nids than Orks. All of which is a moot point as without a proper unifying Warboss the Orks won't even be a speedbump. (If they get a proper unifying Warboss who manages to launch a galaxy-wide WAAAGGH! then they'll basically win the entire game in one fell swoop.)
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 199