Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171064 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #525 on: October 02, 2009, 09:08:44 pm »

I've always kind of wondered just what the Imperium considers a person.  They use people, or parts of them anyway, for computers and guard stations and radios and typewriters and suitcases and everything.  At what point does a human corpus go from being a citizen to an appliance?

The moment they are born into an Imperium controlled world.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 02, 2009, 09:21:35 pm »

The Imperium doesn't bother itself with such rediculous ideas like 'human rights' anyway. You're either with them, or against them, and unless you're an ageless undead mind shackled inside an undying metal shell, a mindless eating machine and but a single componant of a nigh-infinite swarm or a green god of war leading the greatest WAAAAGGH! the galaxy has ever seen, you don't want to be against them.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 02, 2009, 09:24:39 pm »

The Imperium however is also highly decentralized. I view them as a protection racket, as long as you pay lip service to the Emperor, pay your taxes, and follow all orders, the Empire let the planet do as they want.

So you can have a couple planets that embrace democracy and human rights, they are just very far and few.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 02, 2009, 09:25:49 pm »

I was more wondering how the Imperium decides what constitutes a person, at least for head counting purposes.  Certainly it would be difficult for the Guard to draft one of those guys whose spinal cord has become a phone line.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 02, 2009, 09:26:52 pm »

Combat servitors, man.
Shoes...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 02, 2009, 09:28:01 pm »

I was more wondering how the Imperium decides what constitutes a person, at least for head counting purposes.  Certainly it would be difficult for the Guard to draft one of those guys whose spinal cord has become a phone line.

The Imperium can't even work out how many planets it has, what on earth makes you think it even cares how many 'people' it has?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 02, 2009, 09:34:26 pm »

As for what consitutes a person, I think you lose your rights when you become a Heretic who worships Chaos or a unapproved Emperor cult, or you become a Xenos Lover (like a lover of the Tau).

If you are just a common Criminal, you still have some rights and are still considered a human. After all, you are committing crimes against your fellow man, but you're doing it for yourself, you aren't selling mankind out.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 02, 2009, 09:35:15 pm »

You're aware of the horrific things the Imperium does to criminals, right?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 02, 2009, 09:36:45 pm »

Penal legions, servitors, I'd rather be executed.
Shoes...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 02, 2009, 09:37:14 pm »

Yeaah, the Imperium doesn't do 'human rights'.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 02, 2009, 09:38:22 pm »

You're aware of the horrific things the Imperium does to criminals, right?

Oh...er...whoops.

Still, Neruz, don't forget varations on Imperium worlds. The Imperium is a big place. There can be deviant locations that support human rights.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 02, 2009, 09:39:47 pm »

Oh sure. But the Imperium can still screw them over royally should they so choose.

Human Rights can only exist for a short space of time, because the Imperium has the better weapons.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 02, 2009, 09:50:28 pm »

I don't think i've ever seen a canonical excample of an Imperium world with human rights.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 02, 2009, 09:51:59 pm »

What was that world that was like a paradise, and then people turned to Chaos and one in three people were executed by the Grey Knights?

That may have had human rights beforehand. Also, possibly the Ultramar.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 02, 2009, 09:55:37 pm »

What was that world that was like a paradise, and then people turned to Chaos and one in three people were executed by the Grey Knights?

Every planet in the Imperium.

Every.  Single.  Last.  One.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 199