Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171056 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #510 on: October 02, 2009, 08:31:34 pm »

Here's my take on the Tau.

If they do, in fact, expand, they will be divided into many different empires, all self sufficient and presumably waging war on each other, because whilst they can cross the galaxy, it'd take them an age, and so trade is a no-go.

If they win, nothing changes, there'll still be endless war.

But no chaos. That'd be a good thing.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 02, 2009, 08:33:03 pm »

Yeah, but they're an exterminatus level threat.  If you don't get them right away they completely trash the planet.

Enslavers, that is.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 02, 2009, 08:38:06 pm »

If the Imperium has one strength, it's a limitless resistance to supernatural horrors that should destroy it.

I mean, how the fuck did humanity even cover the whole galaxy if it's so damn Hellish anyway?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 02, 2009, 08:40:48 pm »

Limitless and logically impossible! You can't forget the second part. I mean, I get the feeling that the Imperium, along with all the families making babies, have some sort of "The Giver"-esque factory where women spend their entire lives just giving birth to child after child. It's really the only way they can handle losing about a million soldiers a day in each battle that happens to be going on at the time. The Imperium is the definition of cannon-fodder, only defeating Grotz due to the ability to field so much more Imperial Guardsmen than you can Grotz.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 02, 2009, 08:41:19 pm »

The Necrons are implacable, but they're not making any more of themselves.

Well, even Fluff warriors debate about this point.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 02, 2009, 08:46:50 pm »

There are six billion people on Earth.  The Imperium has thousands or probably millions of planets, some of which are massive, planet-spanning cities, full of angry and fanatical people.

They can totally afford to lose a million people a day in every battle.
Shoes...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 02, 2009, 08:50:55 pm »

The Necrons are most definitely making more of themselves, Pariahs are a special kind of assimilated human, but remember that to make a Necron you just make yourself a body of Necrodermis and shove somone's soul in there. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that this process should be unique to the Necrontyr; if it has a soul, it can be turned into a Necron.

As for the Tyranids, they've already eaten one galaxy, each Hive Fleet that arrives is bigger than the others (the newest warp shadow is something like three times the size of Leviathan), add to that the fact that the Genestealers are quite happy to, well, steal your genes and assimilate you into the Hive and you start to get the picture.

At the very least, the Tyranids have all the biomass of a galaxy converted into more Tyranids, that alone outnumbers the Imperium by a substantial margin.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 08:55:04 pm by Neruz »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 02, 2009, 08:51:15 pm »

There certainly isn't 6 billion anymore, not if Earth is a planet covering hive city.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 02, 2009, 08:59:00 pm »

He meant the million or so people who die every die on Earth now.  That still doesn't answer my question of how the galaxy can be covered in hive worlds of 20 billion people and so forth, when space is positively lousy with planet eating monsters.  They didn't just spring up there.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 02, 2009, 08:59:55 pm »

The Imperium is huge alright, no exact population numbers are ever given that i know of, but it's easily in the trillions. They have so many planets that they lose entire systems in rounding errors and paperwork every week, and they're still massively outnumbered by Chaos, Orks and Tyranids (and possibly the fully awakened Necrons, unknown.)

Odds are, a full on galaxy-wide WAAAGH! would probably stop the Nids cold in their tracks (and wipe out every non-orc species), the fully awakened Necrons might be able to do it, possibly by virtue of the fact that the 'nids have very little that can stop them reassembling (if anything at all). Chaos probably couldn't, despite the Warp being effectively infinite and filled with an infinite number of demons, they'd never unite and the places to get out of the Warp are finite.

All of which is completely irrelevant in the face of the fact that the story will never go anywhere.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 02, 2009, 09:01:29 pm »

I can only assume humanity had far, far more advanced weaponry during the dark age of technology.

Oh, and Chaos only really hit the galaxy in force (well, greater force) after the birth of Slaneesh, which occurred at the end of the dark age of technology.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 02, 2009, 09:01:44 pm »

So now that we have determined that, SPESH MARINES.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 02, 2009, 09:04:16 pm »

Obviously they didn't colonize the worlds that were all scary.  I'm sure there are plenty of non-scary worlds.

And I meant that mankind has a population of six billion, when we only have one planet and most of it isn't densely populated.  Imagine how many people must live in a galaxy-spanning empire, one that contains a good number of planets that are just huge cities with population density that makes Japan look like Montana.

The Imperium is huge, and it can afford to lose millions of people every day in battle.

And yeah, I don't consider Chaos much of a threat.  As they said about Chaotic Evil in the D&D manual:  "The wants of one violent, selfish creature by definition conflict with the wants of another violent, selfish creature"  When you have whole armies of violent, selfish creatures, you get them having huge wars because one likes killing and one likes orgies.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 02, 2009, 09:06:16 pm »

I've always kind of wondered just what the Imperium considers a person.  They use people, or parts of them anyway, for computers and guard stations and radios and typewriters and suitcases and everything.  At what point does a human corpus go from being a citizen to an appliance?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 02, 2009, 09:07:58 pm »

When they commit a crime, I guess.

And there's a good reason the Warhammer 40k universe is static.  As soon as they hit the play button, the whole thing is going to consume itself in an orgy of violence and explosions so massive Michael Bay will spontaneously combust.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 199