Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171039 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #465 on: September 30, 2009, 10:47:25 am »

Are weapon platforms allowed in this theme army?
(I love tarrantulas and thuddguns)

meltaguns are sorta like microwave rayguns. extreme heat projected in a narrow stream. armour stands no chance. (un)fortunately, they have limited range and a slow firing rate.
In the heat projection guns this is the range of types:
flamer<melta<plasma
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 30, 2009, 01:39:05 pm »

I remember an all infantary imperial guard army vs a tyranide army.

2000 points wort of conscripts...

the man had to have help throwing the dice!
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 30, 2009, 03:43:53 pm »

That's a good one Jack.  Storm Troopers (Kasrkins) are Elites, not Troops.  Troops are fucking Troops.  You got your ordinary fuckload infantry, your slightly better shots infantry, and your random assault infantry.  Yes, the Guard have an "assault" unit for Troops.  They're still Guardsmen, but they get a 1/3 chance of doing rending damage in close combat.  I want meet the man who came up with that cockamamie idea and buy him a beer.
Do not use Storm Troopers. Srsly.

Short Range, and Bad Strength. Yeah, there AP 3. Wow. I can kill the entire squad faster than you can kill my marines. And the difference it points is 10 for a 10 man squad.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 30, 2009, 03:56:06 pm »

Indeed, Storm Troopers became stupidly overpriced in this codex.  Well, I say that, but you can't ignore their special deployment options, and the fact that in a galaxy of bolter-equivalents, 4+ armor means going from no save to a 50/50 save.  All things considered though, they wouldn't really fit in my superhuge infantry army.  Ditto weapon platforms and Chimeras et al.  Codex standard only, and when I say no vehicles, I mean no vehicles.

Psyker Battle Squad(s) and the Master of Ordnance (duh) take the place of the Big Guns, with plenty of missile toting Heavy Weapon squads to fill the mid-level fire.  Veterans and Ratlings for more support fire.  Standard infantry squads for anti-infantry fire.  Legionnaires and Rough Riders for counter-charging.  And shield the whole thing with Conscripts and Ogryns.  Sign of how mad I am, I'm even considering dropping the Ogryns and Ratlings for wall-to-wall humanity.  And if I were really a dick, I'd throw in Sly Marbo just to fuck with people.

Probably make the whole thing with Catachans for that "angry gunslinging rabble" look.  And I think it's hilarious that wife-beaters and headbands count as flak armor.  I'd love to convert some Catachan cavalry.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 30, 2009, 04:14:52 pm »

Add some Squats to be Homo Totalis. You'd probably have to mod some fantasy dwarfs something fierce and make up rules for them...or find an out-of-print codex.
heh. Squat without vehicles is like a Cult-o-Speed or Mechanum without, even more sad than IG without heavy artillery support. ;)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 30, 2009, 05:54:30 pm »

Indeed, Storm Troopers became stupidly overpriced in this codex.  Well, I say that, but you can't ignore their special deployment options, and the fact that in a galaxy of bolter-equivalents, 4+ armor means going from no save to a 50/50 save.  All things considered though, they wouldn't really fit in my superhuge infantry army.  Ditto weapon platforms and Chimeras et al.  Codex standard only, and when I say no vehicles, I mean no vehicles.

Psyker Battle Squad(s) and the Master of Ordnance (duh) take the place of the Big Guns, with plenty of missile toting Heavy Weapon squads to fill the mid-level fire.  Veterans and Ratlings for more support fire.  Standard infantry squads for anti-infantry fire.  Legionnaires and Rough Riders for counter-charging.  And shield the whole thing with Conscripts and Ogryns.  Sign of how mad I am, I'm even considering dropping the Ogryns and Ratlings for wall-to-wall humanity.  And if I were really a dick, I'd throw in Sly Marbo just to fuck with people.

Probably make the whole thing with Catachans for that "angry gunslinging rabble" look.  And I think it's hilarious that wife-beaters and headbands count as flak armor.  I'd love to convert some Catachan cavalry.
No. Nonononono.

Keep Ratlings. Ogryns are Overpriced. Its the cost of a Termie.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 01, 2009, 10:31:56 am »

Are a seriously awesome unit in some situations.

For that reasone I don't like them as units have to be felxably tactical.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 01, 2009, 03:42:08 pm »

heh. I like to limit myself tactically (through troop selection)

Either I think up a stupid story why only scouts survived and why everyone is carrying flamers
(botched brushclearing expedition on a death/jungle world)
or I decide on a strategy and tactics before the battle is joined as befits an imperial armchair commander.

(I'm safely in orbit or at the capital afterall, who cares about casualties We will win this battle if my genius plan is observed to the letter! If they manage to lose, they have only themselves to blaim for not reading my memos closely enough!)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 01, 2009, 04:53:59 pm »

I've just dug up a shitty Rhino i bought a few years ago.

I'm converting it into either a higgin's boat-esque Wartrukk, or a Wartrakk. I need to decide before i buy any of the new materials needed.

I'll post it when i'm done.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 01, 2009, 04:56:20 pm »

Okay guys i need some help with my Tyranid Army, I have a bit of cash to spend and am wanting to build something 1000 points in value.

My current plan was to get a brood or four of guants to be cannon fodder and if some do reach the enemy can proved fire a good distraction. Three broods of genesteelers will follow close up behind them. The little guys can dog pile into the enemy with their handy fleet of claw ability, and hopefully tear any infantry apart. Behind the genestealers and guants will be a troop of warriors within 12" to help keep the gaunts from going feral, they will also be within 24" of the enemy so in firing range of a deathspitter.

This force will be backed up be three Carnifexes, two to provide fire against tanks, and one armed with close combat gear to help slash up the enemy infantry when it reaches it. The two anti tank Carnifexes will have a set of dual-linked venom cannons with a strength of 10, AP of 4, two attacks and a range of 36".

Points currently:
36 x Gaunts 4 (9 with spine fists +1, 27 with fleshborers +2) for gun = 207
18 x genestealers 16 = 288
3 x warrior  14 + 8 for deathspitter = 66
3 x Carnifex (one screamer killer at 113 points, two venom spitters (without spore cysts) at 163 points each) = 439
Total = 1000

Some questions, Is it best to keep broods (squads) to a minimum size? Am I better having 4 broods of 9 gaunts or one brood of 36 gaunts?

Also for colour scheme, what do you peoples suggest? I'm currently thinking Dark purple and Grey or snot green and white.
How would you destroy this army, what are the weak points? Have I spent enough on anti vehicle for a 1000 point army?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 01, 2009, 05:01:07 pm »

The twin-linked venom cannons are a giant waste of points on Carnifexes.  You'd be much better off optimizing them for Strength 10 close combat attacks and have them charge into vehicles instead.  I believe there's a good example build in the list, shovel tusker or something like that.  Even so, those anti-vehicle carnifexes will be your only anti-vehicle power, and so will attract loads of fire should your opponent use such.  Which would be smart, because one Dreadnought, being immune to Strength 3 attacks, could single-handedly tie up half your army.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 01, 2009, 05:53:04 pm »

Hmm, I don't know how else to get any more anti vehicle units with the Tyranids. Perhaps, I'll get rid of the screamer killer (I already have plenty of anti-infantry) and those venom spitters in favor of three cheaper and tougher anti vehicle close combat fexes.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 01, 2009, 05:57:05 pm »

In relation to your other question, it really depends. I mean, huge hordes are good for steamrolling enemies, but they suffer from being able to be taken out by shooting fairly easily, whereas having small broods'll mean the enemy has to split his fire and generally not kill as many, it is harder to get enough into combat without bunching up, which just screams AoE attacks.

personally, i like small squads though.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 01, 2009, 06:15:27 pm »

As a note with Tyranids; don't bother with the ranged options. Nid's ranged options are generally made of suck and fail and you're usually far better off maxing out your melee opportunities.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 01, 2009, 06:19:24 pm »

NO! make EVERY gaunt a spinegaunt!

They Instakill most infantry, and do Penatrating shots only on vehicles! The BEST ranged in the game!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 199