Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171015 times)

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #450 on: September 30, 2009, 02:40:10 am »

Imerial Guard, because meat grinders are so todays Blitzkreig
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 30, 2009, 03:30:34 am »

I want to play this game so badly, but I just don't have the money. The worst part? I'd purchased an army of Space Marines already, but botched up the painting so bad I can't bear the shame of anyone seeing them.

Grab yerself a can of white or black spraypaint and repaint them.

Space Marines are deployed from space-based Battle Barges via Drop Pods, which are shot out of the bottom of the Barge to crash into the target location (usually on top of some heretics) and disgorge about half a dozen or so Marines.

Imperial Guard are alot more traditional; they advance by using wave after wave of useless light infantry to distract the enemy force from the fact that a dozen tanks the size of houses are moving into range. IG infantry are pathetic (with the singular exception of Kasrkins, and possibly Ogryns if used right, but both are very expensive), but their artillery, tanks and other forms of mobile armor are unmatched and entirely capable of planting a large blast marker on top of your troops and wiping out an entire squad in a single shot.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 30, 2009, 03:48:25 am »

The Space Marines are also called Space Marines because it just sounds cooler than Space Warrior-Monks or whatever the more appropriate title would be.  In-universe, they're called the Space Marines because the Emperor said so, and that's because deploying from spaceships was their big shtick.  In product terms, the name Space Marines goes all the way back to Rogue Trader, where they were basically crazy spacefaring privateers who traveled with Trader ships to kick ass wherever fancy took them.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 30, 2009, 03:58:54 am »

hey, I wonder where my converted Battlefleet Gothic Rouge Trader fleet is...
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 30, 2009, 04:27:42 am »

yeah, Rogue Trader didn't make alotta sense.
Loved the alien lifeforms section and DIY vehicle sections though.
....what were those innately tech-savvy urangatang animals called?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 30, 2009, 04:33:53 am »

Jokaero

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 30, 2009, 08:14:25 am »

I want to play this game so badly, but I just don't have the money. The worst part? I'd purchased an army of Space Marines already, but botched up the painting so bad I can't bear the shame of anyone seeing them.

IG infantry are pathetic HAVE BALLS OF STEEL (with the singular exception of Kasrkins, and possibly Ogryns if used right, but both are very expensive), just like every other plain human willing to go up against a twelve-foot tall green behemoth with nothing but a flashlight and a t-shirt, but their artillery, tanks and other forms of mobile armor are unmatched and entirely  capable of planting a large blast marker on top of your troops and wiping out an entire squad in a single shot. unnecessary because the IG are just that damn awesome.

Fixed that for you.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 30, 2009, 08:39:05 am »

Hell yes.  The Guard has tanks because they rock.  But the Guard don't need no tanks.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 30, 2009, 08:46:48 am »

Field a Guard army without tanks, i dare you.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 30, 2009, 08:51:51 am »

I already told you that I intend to try.  Infantry Platoons and meltaguns as far as the eye can see.

It will be glorious.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 30, 2009, 08:57:14 am »

My only experience with IG is the Dawn of War games and I know they aren't the same in any game way, but I love playing as them. Karsakins FTW.

Field only Karsakins instead of regular infantry. The beam spam will be glorious.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 30, 2009, 09:03:24 am »

That's a good one Jack.  Storm Troopers (Kasrkins) are Elites, not Troops.  Troops are fucking Troops.  You got your ordinary fuckload infantry, your slightly better shots infantry, and your random assault infantry.  Yes, the Guard have an "assault" unit for Troops.  They're still Guardsmen, but they get a 1/3 chance of doing rending damage in close combat.  I want meet the man who came up with that cockamamie idea and buy him a beer.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 30, 2009, 09:13:47 am »

IG: Indeed flashlight, a pothelmet and a t-shirt with "I joined the army and all I got was this lousy shirt" on it.  ::)

Guard are cool in epic, where the armour really shines.

edit: meltas...I admire your spunk.
May I suggest some hydras/chimeras to shield the troops untill they are in range, (you dont even have to have them ride in them) otherwise you really risk the entire platoon running off before using the paintstrippers.
...Though hellhounds are probably more in-theme.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:26:32 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 30, 2009, 09:31:54 am »

Ah, I don't pretend to know what you mean. All I know is you're going to be fucking slaughtered with only infantry.

And that you should try anyway.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 30, 2009, 09:36:00 am »

I'd love to see them try that against an entire Ork army made of only infantry. That'd be a slaughter fight to remember.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 199