Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170777 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2865 on: April 23, 2011, 04:28:24 pm »

Sounds like a canon story.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: April 23, 2011, 05:36:33 pm »

People think the IG are meatshields

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: April 23, 2011, 05:39:16 pm »

let my Guardsmen get ripped to bits

You haven't read the tactics for 5thED IG, have you. A well-made and well played IG army is a real terror now. No more Inferior Guard jokes for the rest of us.

As for Space Marine fans, I've got just one thing to say: Third Edition Land Raider.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: April 23, 2011, 06:24:45 pm »

We should all seriously do a Vassal 40k game with as many people from here as we can get, just for fun.
How about 1000pts - 1500pts a person?

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: April 23, 2011, 06:29:51 pm »

We should all seriously do a Vassal 40k game with as many people from here as we can get, just for fun.
How about 1000pts - 1500pts a person?

Two people playing a Vassal 40k game can be a headache, I can't even imagine what more than 2 people would be like.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: April 23, 2011, 06:31:28 pm »

That's true, but people who know the rules of the game would probably outnumber the ones who don't, so they can get more help.
It would take a really long time to do turns, but I still think it'd be fun.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: April 23, 2011, 07:26:50 pm »

I have always wondered how a realtime game that is as close to the rulebook as possible would be.
A indie game would be struck down fast by GW though.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: April 23, 2011, 07:28:19 pm »

It would have to be 500 points, any higher and even normal 40k becomes sluggish. 1000-1500s are regularly unfinished on Vassal, so adding more people just adds stupid amounts of time on top.

I would quite like to play a bit of 40k soon, though. Pretty much just started on the tabletop game again, dug out old witch hunters, and would like to get into practise.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: April 23, 2011, 07:29:31 pm »

Could always use apoc rules, so instead of value N people in turns, there's only be 2.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: April 23, 2011, 07:32:22 pm »

That could work, I'd need to see the apoc rules, though, I've never actually read them.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: April 23, 2011, 07:56:48 pm »

The apocalypse rulebooks don't change much, from what I've seen.
They don't change point values or anything, they mainly add rules for apocalypse units, such as titans and stuff.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: April 23, 2011, 09:43:27 pm »

I'd be open for a kill team scenario. If you're not familiar with it just read up a little on this link.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=16200058a
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: April 23, 2011, 10:04:31 pm »

That looks pretty awesome. However, Space Marines would obviously win most Kill Team games because their Elites are great. Ork Nobz are expensive and not very good without support. IG Kasrkin aren't much better than regular Guardsmen. Nids... what elites? Eldar are too fragle. Dark Eldar are the same. Witch Hunters and Daemon Hunters (Fuck Grey Nights) are pretty much the same, or only a little different from SM. Necrons wouldn't really make sense, because when they attack, they attack big. Chaos Space Marines are SM only cooler, and are the only ones with a fair and awesome fight. Tau wouldn't work at all with the low point cost. Chaos Daemons would be cool, but none of them really fit, fluff wise and on the board.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: April 23, 2011, 10:23:52 pm »

That looks pretty awesome. However, Space Marines would obviously win most Kill Team games because their Elites are great. Ork Nobz are expensive and not very good without support. IG Kasrkin aren't much better than regular Guardsmen. Nids... what elites? Eldar are too fragle. Dark Eldar are the same. Witch Hunters and Daemon Hunters (Fuck Grey Nights) are pretty much the same, or only a little different from SM. Necrons wouldn't really make sense, because when they attack, they attack big. Chaos Space Marines are SM only cooler, and are the only ones with a fair and awesome fight. Tau wouldn't work at all with the low point cost. Chaos Daemons would be cool, but none of them really fit, fluff wise and on the board.

Wat. I don't even know where to start on picking apart that post. Every army has good stuff to go with in their elite slots, and stuff doesn't make sense only if you have the imagination of a brick. IG? Fucking Marbo for one, not to mention ratlings, or those nifty psykers. Tyranid? Ymargl Genestealers, Zoanthropes, lictors. Tau? Tau live and breathe their elite slots, and I would not want to face stealthsuits in the type of mission in that link. Eldar have their Wraithguard, how's that for 'fragile?' Not to mention everything else has at least a 4+ save except Harlequins, who happen to have their own set of headaches to deal with. This is just the start, so might want to look at those codexes again.

Sidenote, what the heck is the plural form of a codex?

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: April 23, 2011, 10:26:45 pm »

I think it's just codex. Kinda like sheep. Yeah...
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 199