Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170792 times)

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2790 on: March 12, 2011, 11:20:20 pm »

If you're going infantry spam, go big or go home. Forget the Heavy armor and invest in Stormtroopers (for pin point melta delivery), power blobs (combined infantry squads with a commissar and power weapons on the commissar and sergeant) and some heavy weapons squads If you can all infantry then your opponent has nothing to focus his anti tank guns on. Well he could shoot your troops, but There isn't a whole lot of difference between an lascannon and a bolter when it comes to killing guardsmen, one just costs 15 points more.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: March 13, 2011, 08:03:27 am »

If you're planning on fighting Orks or nids have lots of anti infantry, otherwise you can spread it even for races like SM and other heavy races.
It's always nice to have a couple of basilisks or close combat armour, even if you're zerg rushing with infantry.

The nicest thing about IG is they are extremely versatile.
(The downside being they are damn expensive for the amount you have to buy. A pain that Ork players also feel.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:06:22 am by Detrevni|inverteD »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: March 13, 2011, 08:17:56 am »

The downside being they are damn expensive for the amount you have to buy. A pain that Ork players also feel.

My dream 2000 point IG list would cost me roughly at least 595 dollars for vehicles alone. That's assuming I scratch build the Hydras/Manticores from Chimera Chassis...

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: March 13, 2011, 09:23:37 am »

Well there goes my other presents for Five years.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: March 13, 2011, 10:30:09 am »

A) that price tag is for roughly nine chimeras and three vendettas, it's on the upper end of what IG field

B) I can probably do it it for cheaper by buying second hand in small quantities. A new chimera chassis is 35, on Ebay they range from $10 to $25.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: March 13, 2011, 10:44:54 am »

Ya buying second hand they would still be pretty good, because almost all players take excellent care of there fiqures.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: March 13, 2011, 12:54:19 pm »

Imperial Guard infantry spam doesn't work as well as you think, especially against orks.
Archangel knows this.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: March 13, 2011, 01:07:56 pm »

Once Orks get into close combat they are beastly.
A lot of people make the misconception that Orks are bad combatants because they die easily. This is by no means the case. They are ferocious and much stronger than the average man, they just don't wear armour.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: March 13, 2011, 01:19:52 pm »

Unless you upgrade them to 'Ard Boyz.
Then they do.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: March 13, 2011, 01:36:05 pm »

My strategy relies more on large amounts of fire on an enemy some ways away

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: March 13, 2011, 04:14:14 pm »

Exactly how deadly are we talking about with the orks in close combat Take on a space marine deadly or take on four guardsmen deadly ?

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: March 13, 2011, 06:47:50 pm »

Ork choppa squads usually come in groups of 20 and above, not including nobs, if your opponent is smart. They have very low ability when it comes to pretty much anything ranged, so their duty is to run across the battle field, being torn apart by enemy fire but still having enough to cut up the enemy once they reach close combat range.

One on one, Orks are not powerful. However, in their hordes, if they reach the enemy gunline, they are probably the most dangerous units in the game.
Anti armour is a bit of a weak point for Orks, though. They have a few vehicles that are good at anti armour but they are made of paper. Usually you'll have a few tankbusta squads or nobs with power klaws and about 15 ork choppas protecting him. Power klaws will probably be the bane of your existance if you field mostly vehicles. The nicest thing about the rules for an ork player is the person who's squad it is chooses who dies when they are attacked. This means that if you had, say, 20 orks and 1 nob with a powerklaw running toward your tanks, chances are you're going to have to kill all 20 orks to have a chance to take out the power klaw nob.

Ork vehicles have horrid armour, and horrid aiming. But their quality is in their number, and the amount of times they can fire. A few squadrons of Ork deffkoptas with rokkits can take out pretty much any vehicle if you let it.

Ofcourse this depends on what kind of clan you're fighting against. The Goffs take a very IG approach and simply throw wave after wave of Ork green tide at you until there is simply nothing left. Clans like Evil Sunz, which is what I play, have a lot of very fast and very mobile attack vehicles like Trukks, stocked to the brim with boyz and they speed into combat and hassle troops before driving away again and coming round for the second attack.

Sorry if my post is confusing. I am tired.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: March 13, 2011, 07:01:38 pm »

I see now so depending on the type of ork clan I am facing I need to very my troops, and strategy to make it more effective.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: March 13, 2011, 07:23:01 pm »

Orks are very, very dangerous if they're winning. Particularly if they get the charge. Because of the the way fearless works though, if the orks lose, particularly by a decent amount, they tend to rip themselves apart. Any ork mob over 10 is fearless, which means they ignore morale checks, including the one at the end of close combat. What they do suffer from are 'No retreat' wounds if they lose a close combat. They take one additional wound per point they lost by. So if a twenty ork mob charges a 10 man terminator assault squad, the orks strike first and kill 3 terminators, the terminators strike back and kill 7. The orks lose combat by 4, and so have to take 4 armor saves, probably losing 4 more orks, and dropping them below 10 orks, so they are not fearless for next rounds close combat phase.

As a space marine, if you build a balanced list you will have the tools to take on any ork list. Just don't assume anything other than a dedicated CC unit can take on a fresh mob in close combat.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: March 18, 2011, 10:38:41 pm »

Ok, so I have a question what would I use to say form a wall between my infantry the enemy ? ( I mean which vehicle would work best. )
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 199