Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170838 times)

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2730 on: January 18, 2011, 10:54:02 am »

Yeah. We need to get a Bay12 game going for this mod.

Too bad I can't find my Flashpoint disc.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: January 19, 2011, 12:34:51 am »

More pictures. The whole of my army at the moment (the second raider I bought had a defective sprue, so the game store gave me my money back, but didn't have another in stock to replace it :-\). I love how the bayonets turned out, but they're an absolute bitch to do (two fell apart when I was about to spraypaint them, so that got delayed, and then two more fell apart later, when I was painting them, not to mention the pain of trying to glue something barely larger than the head of a pin in place the right way...), and take a whole lot of spare blades to cannibalize.

I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: January 19, 2011, 09:58:41 am »

Sir, those are excellent. You have quite a bit of skill and I am humbled.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: January 19, 2011, 10:28:35 am »

Those are really nice. I need to take a few pics of my newly painted Orks, but I recently uncovered a not so recent picture of my Black Reach Warboss.

Linky for giant picture.

Sorry for the arse camera quality. Not much can be done about that at the moment, though.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: January 19, 2011, 11:16:48 am »

damn! Nice warboss indeed. Are you using washes, especially on the hoses and the rusty finish? If so which ones.
Mine all look like Michael J. Fox painted them.

What? Too soon?

I kid.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: January 19, 2011, 01:37:46 pm »

damn! Nice warboss indeed. Are you using washes, especially on the hoses and the rusty finish? If so which ones.
Mine all look like Michael J. Fox painted them.

What? Too soon?

I kid.

Yeah. Washes are nice. I always put badab black wash into recesses I think need darker shadows, such as the face, creases in clothing and weapons, etc. and all over something that needs to be toned down. For rusty/especially dirty things I used devlan mud. After I apply washes I then highlight stuff with a slightly higher tone than the base on places like cloth where the light would hit.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: January 19, 2011, 10:27:46 pm »

Those are really nice. I need to take a few pics of my newly painted Orks, but I recently uncovered a not so recent picture of my Black Reach Warboss.

Linky for giant picture.

Sorry for the arse camera quality. Not much can be done about that at the moment, though.
Holy fuck that's great.

I need to get more paints; as it is I have ten, and two washes (and they're not even useful colors, they're yellow and dark green...). So I can't do highlighting or proper layering, since I only have one shade of each color... I did read How to Paint Citadel Minis though, so at least I have some decent theoretical knowledge of what to do, even if I lack the experience to know how to use it... :-\

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: January 19, 2011, 10:42:06 pm »

Linky for giant picture.

Holy fuck that's great.

I need to get more paints; as it is I have ten, and two washes (and they're not even useful colors, they're yellow and dark green...). So I can't do highlighting or proper layering, since I only have one shade of each color... I did read How to Paint Citadel Minis though, so at least I have some decent theoretical knowledge of what to do, even if I lack the experience to know how to use it... :-\

Hehe, thanks a lot. Really means a lot that people like it.

Washes make a lot of difference if you know where to use them, but you have to be careful. They irreversibly change the tone and appearance of colours, so it's best to do a base coat, wash, and then highlight. This way you don't ruin all of your beautiful handiwork and it makes highlights that much more vibrant, but it really depends on the style you're going for.

It is possible to do small highlights if you do a base coat, wash, then highlight with the same colour that you base coated with. This is nowhere near as powerful as using the next tone up, but it still makes a difference if you use it where it matters, and is good if you want the more extreme highlights to look that much more vibrant if you put a little bit of colour first over the washes where you want the highlights to be.

And really, it all comes with patience and practice. I'm also an artist as well as a hobbyist, so I have quite a bit of experience in these areas. Your models look very nice already, so it's clear you have a knack for it. Keep going, they can only get better!

EDIT:
A very nice wash to own is Badab Black. If you use it sparingly in places that need a few shadows, it pretty much gives a 3d effect straight away. But I must stress that you are careful with how much is used. It is better to put on a number of layers than to overdo it and put loads on in one go.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:47:27 pm by Detrevni|inverteD »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: January 20, 2011, 03:03:37 am »

Thanks. Whenever I see models painted by someone who knows what they're doing, I'm reminded just how far I have to go, but I'm still proud of my work, mostly because it surprised the hell out of me. I'm a terrible artist, and I haven't picked up a paintbrush since I was a kid (and I wasn't good with one then, quite the opposite in fact). My attitude going into it was "hope for the best, but expect the worst," and as a result I was quite pleasantly surprised when they turned out ok.

I'll keep your tips in mind, and also try to get a few more paints, at least, though I also want to concentrate on getting a full army together to play with, and to compete in an upcoming tourney with, (though I know there's not a chance in hell I'll win I at least want to be able to make a good account of myself) and since I have a very limited budget any paint has to come after I've gotten the models I need...

Spoiler: More of the Wyches (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 03:09:51 am by Sir Pseudonymous »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: January 20, 2011, 08:45:27 am »

The skimmers kick ass.  I'm not a judge of infantry painting (Looking at golden daemon winners has skewed my perception of what's good and what isn't) so I won't give an opinion.
Shoes...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: January 20, 2011, 12:23:50 pm »

Thanks for the tips guys. Took a 40 minute ride on the subway, but I got the paints and washes I need. Now if only I had the time to work on them today.........

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: January 20, 2011, 12:58:32 pm »

I'm a whiny bitch, but I need some anti-Tau tactics, for orkz.
My ork force at the moment has 2 Assault on Black Reach ork sets, and a battleforce.
My friend that plays Tau only has around 700 points at the moment, but he's planning on getting more soon.
And it's funny because I play orkz and I'm a skinny white guy, while my friend who plays Tau is a fat black guy.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:00:27 pm by NewsMuffin »

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: January 20, 2011, 02:24:34 pm »

My ork force at the moment has 2 Assault on Black Reach ork sets, and a battleforce.
My friend that plays Tau only has around 700 points at the moment, but he's planning on getting more soon.
And it's funny because I play orkz and I'm a skinny white guy, while my friend who plays Tau is a fat black guy.

Tell us how things go, what he usually brings and such, and we might be able ta help you more.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: January 20, 2011, 03:07:43 pm »

Tau are primarily a ranged focused race, as far as I know.
So evil sunz style hit and run with lightning fast melee is a good bet. Warbikers, trucks full of your slugga hordes, etc.

Or you could just forget all da posh taktiks 'n give 'em a good choppin wiv' lots 'o da boyz cuz dis iz a WAAAGH!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: January 20, 2011, 03:52:02 pm »

Well if you can get cover between your forces and him then you then your survivability goes way up. Normally though Tau doesn't deal with huge masses of enemies unless their totally spec'd towards that, at least in my experience.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 199