Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170966 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2550 on: November 24, 2010, 01:25:30 pm »

Sure, 1000 would be cool.
Shoes...

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: November 24, 2010, 01:40:13 pm »

I don't play WH40K, I just paint models. As in, my friends will pass along models that they want painted, and some rudimentary guidelines, and I paint them. Then I go watch them play with my babies. I fucking love it.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: November 24, 2010, 03:03:04 pm »

Funnily enough, that's what my mum does.

I have around 2k points of Eldar and 1k points of Witch Hunters for this very reason.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: November 24, 2010, 03:16:23 pm »

The HQs have a 2+ Invuln save that goes away forever the first time they fail it.

The 2+ invuln saves on their ICs is pretty tough but again, it sounds like the best medicine for DE is lots of cheap, weak troops.

Point of order, only Archons can take the Shadowfield, and they're not free.  On the subject though, holy balls do these equipment catalogs read like bad 90s darkfic comics.  Ghostplate, Vexator Masks, Casket of Flensing, Huskblades, Electrocorosives, motherfucking Darklight.  What the royal fudgepacking Helsing are you trying to tell me?

On the subject of strategies, the old treasure trove of advice at The Fighting Tigers is an excellent example of a previous-edition Deldar army that worked as best as the codex allowed.  Basically, huge mobs of Warriors and Wyches get into the enemy's teeth, while an IC (Haemonculus in this case) opens a Webway box and spits out three Taloses in the middle of the battleline.  It revolved around the fact that Warriors were about as good at melee as shooting (that is, they sucked at both), and just tried to mob the enemy with more close combat threats than it could stand.

This new version gives them more options yeah, but they still have the same basic shortcomings, in fragility and lack of good anti-vehicle firepower.  So yeah, the Imperial Guard finally have a contemporary enemy they can expect to trounce routinely.  Leman Russ may not even be necessary; some siege guns would work fine against any Lances in the opening salvo, and then the rest of the game is mop-up.  If the Guard gets the first turn, the Deldar might not even reach their lines.  And Hydra Flakkers were purpose-built for chewing up Raiders.

Other good options: Tyranids, for most of the same reasons, in just swamping the Deldar and being equals in melee.  Classic Eldar for bringing even stupider amounts of firepower and having many matching close combat options.  Possibly Tau, since their two big strengths are knocking down vehicles and light infantry.  And certain varieties of Orks, as long as they have good enough numbers compared to wasted potential.

For shits and giggles, I'd love to run a 1000 point list with a Haemonculus, some fire support, and six squads of ten Wracks each.  I call it the DOrkDar plan.

In more pertinent news - it's motherfucking Grimsgiving Vacation!  Yeah!  Here's my new Eldar list, for online gamin'.
Spoiler: Dead Men Walking (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 03:18:52 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: November 24, 2010, 03:26:13 pm »

I'll be around for a few hours for a game if anyones interested, hoping on vassal now.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: November 24, 2010, 03:33:04 pm »

November's White Dwarf had an IG vs DEldar battle report, which ended with the IG being thoroughly beaten, so it's not a guaranteed win.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: November 24, 2010, 03:34:20 pm »

The HQs have a 2+ Invuln save that goes away forever the first time they fail it.

The 2+ invuln saves on their ICs is pretty tough but again, it sounds like the best medicine for DE is lots of cheap, weak troops.

Point of order, only Archons can take the Shadowfield, and they're not free.  On the subject though, holy balls do these equipment catalogs read like bad 90s darkfic comics.  Ghostplate, Vexator Masks, Casket of Flensing, Huskblades, Electrocorosives, motherfucking Darklight.  What the royal fudgepacking Helsing are you trying to tell me?

On the subject of strategies, the old treasure trove of advice at The Fighting Tigers is an excellent example of a previous-edition Deldar army that worked as best as the codex allowed.  Basically, huge mobs of Warriors and Wyches get into the enemy's teeth, while an IC (Haemonculus in this case) opens a Webway box and spits out three Taloses in the middle of the battleline.  It revolved around the fact that Warriors were about as good at melee as shooting (that is, they sucked at both), and just tried to mob the enemy with more close combat threats than it could stand.

This new version gives them more options yeah, but they still have the same basic shortcomings, in fragility and lack of good anti-vehicle firepower.  So yeah, the Imperial Guard finally have a contemporary enemy they can expect to trounce routinely.  Leman Russ may not even be necessary; some siege guns would work fine against any Lances in the opening salvo, and then the rest of the game is mop-up.  If the Guard gets the first turn, the Deldar might not even reach their lines.  And Hydra Flakkers were purpose-built for chewing up Raiders.

Other good options: Tyranids, for most of the same reasons, in just swamping the Deldar and being equals in melee.  Classic Eldar for bringing even stupider amounts of firepower and having many matching close combat options.  Possibly Tau, since their two big strengths are knocking down vehicles and light infantry.  And certain varieties of Orks, as long as they have good enough numbers compared to wasted potential.

For shits and giggles, I'd love to run a 1000 point list with a Haemonculus, some fire support, and six squads of ten Wracks each.  I call it the DOrkDar plan.

In more pertinent news - it's motherfucking Grimsgiving Vacation!  Yeah!  Here's my new Eldar list, for online gamin'.
Spoiler: Dead Men Walking (click to show/hide)

Join the party, bro.  We've got a room in Vassal and shit is off the hook.
Shoes...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: November 24, 2010, 09:08:10 pm »

Dammit, turns out classes were canceled or something. Ah can play for the rest of the evening.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: November 24, 2010, 09:26:41 pm »

And I didn't save, because you seemed set on not finishing that game... :-\
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: November 24, 2010, 09:48:39 pm »

Dead Men Walking

Join the party, bro.  We've got a room in Vassal and shit is off the hook.

Spoiler: The Dead Men's Parade (click to show/hide)

Back in the saddle again, and it feels so good.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: November 24, 2010, 11:48:49 pm »

It makes sense, really.  If you think about it, Tzeentch is chaos.  The other gods don't personify the warp like Tzeentch.  Chaos is Change.

Another stunning revelation that hit me a while ago is that Nurgle isn't the god of death, he's a chaosified god of life.  His diseases are the most efficient lifeform in the galaxy.  He's also friendly.  Beasts of Nurgle are full of enthusiasm and just want to play.  Great Unclean Ones are like big ugly uncles to the daemons they lead.
Shoes...

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: November 25, 2010, 12:13:09 am »

It makes sense, really.  If you think about it, Tzeentch is chaos.  The other gods don't personify the warp like Tzeentch.  Chaos is Change.

Another stunning revelation that hit me a while ago is that Nurgle isn't the god of death, he's a chaosified god of life.  His diseases are the most efficient lifeform in the galaxy.  He's also friendly.  Beasts of Nurgle are full of enthusiasm and just want to play.  Great Unclean Ones are like big ugly uncles to the daemons they lead.

Doesn't Nurgle also have the Eldar god of healing tied in the warp somewhere?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: November 25, 2010, 12:15:40 am »

Yes, he rescued her from Slaanesh and keeps her in a cage in his inner sanctum.  He feeds her his diseases and if he likes what he sees he'll pour it into realspace.  She can heal the diseases and tells mortals how.
Shoes...

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: November 25, 2010, 12:22:06 am »

And Khorne is the god of the will to survive. I don't exactly remember my reasoning, and I know I'm not the only one to come to this conclusion, but it has something to do with the instinct of fight or flight, and how Khorne chose the fight part.

Slaanesh is the god of feeling and emotion, not just endless orgies of fun and needles mutilation. Slaanesh represents mankind's need for sensation and excitement. If you think about it, Slaanesh could be the king of the chaos gods, because followers of Khorne find excitement in battle, while followers of Tzeentch find excitement in knowledge, and followers of Nurgle find excitement in life.

But that's preposterous.
And heretical.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 12:27:54 am by NewsMuffin »

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: November 25, 2010, 12:32:49 am »

Does anyone else always try to change the way they pronounce Tzeentch in honor of his preference for change or am I just a crazy bastard?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 199