Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170895 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2009, 11:45:24 pm »

Quick look at the pack shows a storm bolter.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 22, 2009, 12:53:52 am »

The easiest way to tell is if he has his face on his chest.

though the storm bolter is pretty iconic

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 22, 2009, 01:41:53 am »

Yeah, Storm Bolter is Terminator. Is it even possible to wield Storm Bolters without wearing Terminator armor? I know Grey Knights get them, but they're basically wearing Souped up Terminator armor to begin with, and i think Sisters can very occasionally wield them as special weapons. But i don't remember if non Terminator marines can use them, there's probably some special rule somewhere.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 22, 2009, 01:50:34 am »

Commanders can use them with no terminator armour. i have one such model myself.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 22, 2009, 02:34:20 am »

I don't really think he's in Termy armor. Does it always come with the purchase?

It looks a bit more like regular armor, not bulky enough.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 22, 2009, 03:04:58 am »

Hey ya'll heard that theres gonna be a new space wolves codex out?
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 22, 2009, 03:13:53 am »

Yeah, as somone said previously; we have Blood Angels and Dark Angels, and next we're getting Space Wolf Angels.

Just what we need, more Space Marines.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 22, 2009, 04:08:40 am »

Jack, which item did you actually buy?  It should be listed here if you recognize it.  Does it have a bunch of extra parts?  Is it plastic or metal?  Because it sounds like you might have somehow gotten a special figure instead of the Marine Commander box.

On the subject of storm bolters, at least according to the printed rules, it's entirely possible to use them without Terminator armor or even being a Marine.  In the last Imperial Guard book, any officer could be armed with a storm bolter, and in the new codex Commissar Yarrick still has one.  Terminators can just carry them one-handed, because they're huge.  I remember a modeling article on the old website where a guy pondered "why not just make the gun part of the armor?"  That's what's special about the Grey Knights, they alone have mastered the secret technique of duct taping the guns to their forearms.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 22, 2009, 04:10:59 am »

Well this is 40K; Duct Tape is serious buisness, probably one of the best kept secrets of the Techpriests.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 22, 2009, 04:16:22 am »

That and string.

Anyway, this is the chap. He's plastic with the weapon specializations all there. Turns out he's a humble captain. Bet he'll smash up shit real nice though.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 22, 2009, 04:25:22 am »

Oh those bastards changed the Captain to be called the Commander? Way to confuse everyone GW.

Notice how his right hand is normal? No Termy armor. He just has a power fist, which, interestinly, is not reflected on his stats. He should have a chainsword. Odd.

--EDIT--

No wait, apparantly the Captain and the Chapter Master are the same guy now? Thats... Different?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 22, 2009, 04:30:57 am »

It's supposed to come with enough extra parts that you can customize his load-out yourself.  The model picture is just one way of assembling the set, at least I would assume.  That said, it wouldn't be GW if they didn't expect you to find your own bits to match the rules.

I didn't think about it before, but I think the storm bolter discussion needs one more mention.  Yarrick is able to fire his one-handed.  I always suspected that bolters, being essentially miniature rocket-launchers, were recoilless.  On the other hand, it is Yarrick, who can use a storm bolter, a bolt pistol, a laspistol, and a chainsword all with one hand.  Since his other hand is a hydraulic metal-press bigger than his torso, which he can wave around despite being like 120 years old.

Bolters are recoilless and Commissar Yarrick is badass is what I'm getting at here.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 22, 2009, 04:34:52 am »

I see.

Anyway, no terminator armor for him! Can you buy terminator armor separate?

Anyway, Changed my mind. I think I'll have him as a chapter master (do you have to make him the actual Crimson Fists chapter master?) with a power fist and combi-flamer. Possibly others. Suggestions! I have people who couldn't care less as a resource and I'm going to bleed it dry.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 22, 2009, 04:43:49 am »

Anyway, Changed my mind. I think I'll have him as a chapter master (do you have to make him the actual Crimson Fists chapter master?) with a power fist and combi-flamer. Possibly others. Suggestions! I have people who couldn't care less as a resource and I'm going to bleed it dry.

Making your army as the Crimson Fists and including a chapter master would logically dictate that he be the real Pedro Kantor in the flesh.  However as Pedro Kantor (Vote Pedro) is described as a special character all on his own, I'd say you could use the vanilla Chapter Master listing as some super-elite Inner Circle guy who's close to the station but not actually the master, like the 1st Company Commander or something.  Or just say that your army is based on some other point in time when Pedro wasn't around yet.  Warp Displacement or some shit, it's Warhammer, don't let the fluff get in the way of your fun.

No wait, apparantly the Captain and the Chapter Master are the same guy now? Thats... Different?

Since a Chapter Master is just a Captain with an artillery strike, I'm pretty sure the intent is that if you want the Master, you buy the Captain figure and gussy him up until he's of Master-level ostentatiousness.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 22, 2009, 05:08:07 am »

I would recommend making up your own Chapter; lore nuts tend to go all frothy at the mouth if you make a pre-existing chapter wrong, it's usually far easier to just do your own thing.

Hence why my Necrons are covered in moss.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 199