Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170875 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #240 on: September 19, 2009, 08:05:57 am »

And the warboss is the best cc hq ever.

Unless you were just talking about spesh mahreenes

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 19, 2009, 08:13:35 am »

Monolith is so cheap. You MOVE troops away when you deepstrike, and then get to shoot them all. How is that not cheap?

I have to go with Mister Fighting Tigers here. If it's legal, then don't complain about cheap tactics or cheesiness, shut up and play. Don't whine about 'cheesiness' or 'cheapness'. Just play.

I'm writing all this down so I can give it to the first person who claims something like this.

ALSO, there's a rather large chance you were talking about a different type of cheapness. If that is the case, then I apologize. I'm just practicing my 'offended player' speech.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 19, 2009, 10:22:48 am »

Monolith is so cheap. You MOVE troops away when you deepstrike, and then get to shoot them all. How is that not cheap?

I have to go with Mister Fighting Tigers here. If it's legal, then don't complain about cheap tactics or cheesiness, shut up and play. Don't whine about 'cheesiness' or 'cheapness'. Just play.

I'm writing all this down so I can give it to the first person who claims something like this.

ALSO, there's a rather large chance you were talking about a different type of cheapness. If that is the case, then I apologize. I'm just practicing my 'offended player' speech.
N+Both really. I think it costs the same as a Land Raider, and is much better for the price IMHO

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 19, 2009, 03:59:32 pm »

Well, I guess I wouldn't know, really.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 19, 2009, 10:20:36 pm »

N+Both really. I think it costs the same as a Land Raider, and is much better for the price IMHO

Yes, it's one of the very few units in the game that is superior to it's Spaze Marine counterpart. Monoliths are also gargantuan targets and are the only high mobility option for non-destroyer troops, since Toasters are slow as fuck.

I will admit, when used correctly the Monolith is incredibly cheap, it is not even remotely overpowered though. Important difference. The point cost means less toasters to shoot down before they all phase out.

If the phase out rule wasn't there, Monoliths would be massively imba, but before you start calling toasters cheap remember that you only need to kill 3/4 of their stuff, and that the best units don't count towards the phase out rule.

Seriously; if you want to complain compare the point cost and stats of an Eldar Guardian with a standard Tactical Marine, weep at how unbelievably underpowered the Guardian is for it's point cost.

Also remember that if something is 'cheap' it just means it caught you off guard and owned you. It's only overpowered if you know it's coming and there's still nothing you can do to stop it.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 21, 2009, 08:40:35 pm »

No no no no.
I still beat it without it doing much, but the fact that it can TELEPORT INTO MY ARMY AND NOT DIE OR AT LEAST BE DELAYED BY DEEP STRIKEAND STILL SHOOT AND KILL A BUNCH OF MY GUYS IS NOT FUN ESPECIALLY BECAUSE I CANT KILL IT WITH ASSAULT CANNONS OR MELTAS. I had to use Pedro Kantor's Orb. Bombardment. :3

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 21, 2009, 08:42:58 pm »

I fully agree with you that Monoliths are annoying. Toasters as a whole are annoying; they're basically the 'piss you the fuck off' army of 40K, which is why i wuv them so.

Nothing is more satisfying than reducing your opponant to a quivering mass of screaming fury.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 21, 2009, 10:51:55 pm »

So, got me my first HQ unit, a Space Marine Commander.

What exactly does it mean by commander? Captain? It looks like it's got terminator armor but I'm rubbish at working that out.

Secondly, is the iron halo the... uh... the halo that you put above there heads? Three guess Jackrabbit, first two don't count.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 21, 2009, 11:19:40 pm »

It means it's a Space Marine Commander. They're also called Chapter Commanders and Chapter Masters.

And yes, the Iron Halo is the spiky semicircle that goes behind their heads.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 21, 2009, 11:21:33 pm »

Oh. Heh, I accidentally bought a Chapter Master.

Go me.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 21, 2009, 11:25:42 pm »

Generally units are called what they are called. A Space Marine Captain is, surprisingly enough, called a Space Marine Captain.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 21, 2009, 11:28:26 pm »

I was flipping through the codex and I didn't find mention of commander, which seemed odd to me. Ah well.

Right, now, can someone explain what the paper is?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 21, 2009, 11:32:05 pm »

The little pictures on the piece of paper? Those're transfers, for complicated logoey things you can't possibly paint on unless you're superhuman.

Been awhile since i did a SM army, so i could be wrong about the Chapter Commander.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 21, 2009, 11:34:15 pm »

I actually meant the badge thing but it doesn't matter. What I want to know is, does a Commander automatically come with Terminator armour? This is my first honest to God miniature purchase and I want to get this right.

Okay, if true, here's what I'm thinking.

Space Marine Commander w/Terminator armor, combi-melta, power fist - 180 points.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 11:38:34 pm by Jackrabbit »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 21, 2009, 11:38:45 pm »

A quick check of pictures of Space Marine Commanders shows the gigantic Terminator fists, so i believe so. If he has huge-ass fists, he's probably in Terminator armor. If he has some kind of gun mounted on his wrists then he's definitely in Terminator armor.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 199