Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 171181 times)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #2175 on: March 21, 2010, 07:04:31 pm »

See, i would have made it sound as good as that, but i generally don't bother. Most people don't care whether i say things in the most detailed manner possible, i should start flexing my iterary muscles more.

I have the ability to write to a very high degree, i just don't half of the time. This makes me look stupid. (that and i wanted it to sound like a fan-fic)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: March 21, 2010, 07:11:36 pm »

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: March 21, 2010, 07:18:28 pm »

I was actually going to prefix "Fan-fic" with bad, but enough of them are terrible that i expected people to automatically agree, Though you make a good point, Aqizzar.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: March 21, 2010, 07:24:38 pm »

And then some chaos marines came along and said "sorry" to the blood angels about the heresy, and then the blood angels went D'awwww and let the Heretics join them and then they went and gave the T'au and eldar hugs and then they went to the orkz, who decided they would run a small bakery rather than cause WAAAGH!s.

The Tyranids devoured everything and everyone before them as they flowed across the Temple World towards the great shrine of Mac'Guffine's Blunt Object of Importance.  A hard-bitten company of Guardmen, last survivors of their garrison, rally at the feet of the Chapter Master and his bloodied entourage.  They surrender the chance for a glorious death, to safeguard the Sororitas and their Grey Knight advisers, to spirit off-world the most sacred artifact.  All hope of rescue lost, they approach the Tau drop-team with an ultimatum: surrender your vessels, that we may leave this doomed world, or be destroyed.

The Tau commander, knowing no concept of honorable death, insists he can save them all, eager to prove the efficacy and benevolence of the Greater Good.  The Tzeentchian sorcerer cabal, Last Council of Seers, and the wily Archon's guard, guided by three paths of the warp arrive at the same destination, all reveal themselves, bargaining their skill for a chance at escape.  Awed by such a gathering of might, the last gang of Orks cannot help but stumble along in tow.  And unbeknown to all until the last moment, a mechanical shadow rises to their aid.

Now, the desperate champions must put aside their ancient antagonism, if only for a few moments, and fight back to back for their lives against the ravening horde.

You know you want to see it.

Dawn of War II Xpak. - Last Stand

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: March 21, 2010, 07:30:16 pm »

Does anyone feel like playing a small game on V40K? I'm bored and have been looking through my old army lists. :/

Looking through the new tyranid codex closer it does seem like it's trying to make hordes of cheap infantry more viable, by making them cheaper/slightly better, and shift focus away from armies revolving on superunits by making them drastically more expensive, but also slightly better. I still haven't written up an army for it though, and I haven't seen it in action... Anyone else have any thoughts on it?
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: March 22, 2010, 02:16:48 pm »

Why the "EVERYONE VERSUS NIDS" storyline? Surely the Genestealer Cults have some degree of sapience that could allow them to also consider temporary alliances with other races. The Genestealer Cults might ally with Chaos in order to destablize an Imperium world in the hopes of turning that world into a tasty meal. Or alternatively, Genestealer Cults may seek to work with the Imperium to defend a world from the taint of Unholy Chaos...with the hopes of then turning that world into a tasty meal.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: March 22, 2010, 05:24:11 pm »

And then some chaos marines came along and said "sorry" to the blood angels about the heresy, and then the blood angels went D'awwww and let the Heretics join them and then they went and gave the T'au and eldar hugs and then they went to the orkz, who decided they would run a small bakery rather than cause WAAAGH!s.

The End.

And then some witch hunter came too, they lit the blood angels on fire.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: March 22, 2010, 05:42:35 pm »

Why the "EVERYONE VERSUS NIDS" storyline? Surely the Genestealer Cults have some degree of sapience that could allow them to also consider temporary alliances with other races. The Genestealer Cults might ally with Chaos in order to destablize an Imperium world in the hopes of turning that world into a tasty meal. Or alternatively, Genestealer Cults may seek to work with the Imperium to defend a world from the taint of Unholy Chaos...with the hopes of then turning that world into a tasty meal.

Everyone's forgotten about Genestealer Cults, 'Nids are just space locusts now.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: March 22, 2010, 06:17:53 pm »

Eh when I get a job I might have time to come up with a new army using the nids.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: March 22, 2010, 06:22:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure Games Workshop has forgotten Genestealer Cults.  It's been a long, long time since official text mentioned 'Nids doing any infectan or corruptan, as opposed to mindlessly eatan everything.  I could be wrong though.  But let's be honest, do you really want to see limousines and bugmen back in the game?

Well, okay, I do too.  But you get the idea.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: March 22, 2010, 07:24:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure Games Workshop has forgotten Genestealer Cults.  It's been a long, long time since official text mentioned 'Nids doing any infectan or corruptan, as opposed to mindlessly eatan everything.  I could be wrong though.  But let's be honest, do you really want to see limousines and bugmen back in the game?

Well, okay, I do too.  But you get the idea.
But authors haven't. I have read too many Guard books with STEALERS NESTS. OH GAWD.

Dialogue Part!
Me:"Oh, hey! New Guard book!"
*Two chapters in*
COMMANDER:"FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FI-OH SHI- AN AMBUSH-CURSE THEM! "
PROTAG:"COME ON! GET IN THIS CONVENIENT HOLE!"
REDSHIRT:"IT IS REALLY COMF-AHHHH I IS EATED."
PROTAG:"EVEN IF YOU ARE SUPER POWERED I CAN STILL WIN AS I HAVE A FORCE FIELD MADE OFF OF THE MONEY THE AUTHOR IS MAKING WITH MY SERIES."
*PROTAG wins and saves teh wurhld!*

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: March 22, 2010, 08:11:14 pm »

Well, the last codex mentions genestealer infestations... It also has this:
The final weeks of the campaign against Hive Fleet Gorgon unfolded on the sept worl Kel'shan. Until the Tyranid arrival, Kel'shan's defenders had been embroiled in a war against the Cadian XVIIIth army, who had been tasked with reclaiming the world from the Tau. When the Tyranids fell upon the system, Castellan Crask, commander of the Cadian XVIIIth, temporarily put aside his orders to exterminate the Tau and joined with them to shatter Hive Fleet Gorgon. Naturally the truce lasted only a fraction longer than the last Hormagaunt, but that was to be expected.
Even the eminently less batshit insane Imperial Guard turns on the eminently less omnicidal Tau after the Tyranids were dead. But isn't Cadia on the other side of the galaxy from the Tau worlds, on the edge of the Eye of Terror? Why the fuck would cadians be there, instead of dying horrifically in the role of Imperial Brand Spike Strips slashing the tires of chaos incursions?
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: March 22, 2010, 08:20:51 pm »

The Cadian armies are considered one of the most powerful and experienced IG units out there, and so the Imperium makes the most use of it deploying the Cadian divisions all the over the galaxy. In Winter Assault, you get to play as a Candian dispatched to an icy tunrda planet to recover a Titan.

I also remember hearing that Cadia have a martial culture, which makes them more suited to waging warfare...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:23:37 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: March 22, 2010, 08:22:29 pm »

The Cadians are the only IG who aren't cannon fodder; a good Cadian regiment actually stands a chance against a squad of Spesh Muhreens, so the Imperium tends to jack Cadian soldiers all over the galaxy whenever it can.

The fact that on Cadia, everyone is a soldier, helps alot.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: March 22, 2010, 08:33:42 pm »

That's part of why Cadia does win; they're not so much more competent than other planet's soldiers (although they are intrinsically better soldiers), they're just even less afraid of dying than most Guardsmen and there's a whole load more of them to throw at a problem.

As for why they pop up all over the place, there's also Games Workshop's handwaive that many planets seek to emulate Cadia's success by wearing their jerseys; hence there's only two plastic model lines for a galaxy of armies.  Cadians do wind up all over the place though.  Considering the even-worse-than-sailing timeframes of travel across the Imperium, I wouldn't be surprised if the Cadian armies fighting the 'Nids and Tau were actually born and trained on the way there.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 199