Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 199

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k  (Read 170842 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2009, 05:58:52 am »

Most players consider the special codexes to be unfair, they're usually allowed in GW official tournies, but often barred from most other tournies, and all of the places i go to frequently have an unspoken rule amongst players that you don't bring out the special codexes unless the other guy is alright to go along with it and you can both agree on a suitable compensation.

It's not so much that they're too powerful (alot of people feel that way about the Space Marines in general, but lets not go there), but they do give SM players extra options they wouldn't otherwise have, simply because of the way their army is painted, which most of the people i know consider to be kind of cheap.

But if you do use the special rules, Blood Angels are probably your best bet.

Also, Chin, Space Wolf Angels?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2009, 06:01:20 am »

Also, Chin, Space Wolf Angels?

It's called a Running Gag.  Try reading the sentence aloud.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2009, 06:04:14 am »

Ah right, i can't believe i missed that. I was reading the post as individual parts rather than  a sentance as a whole :D

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 17, 2009, 06:07:19 am »

I don't know, I'm stupid enough to have missed that.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2009, 06:10:22 am »

I don't know, I'm stupid enough to have missed that.
Same.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2009, 06:16:50 am »

All I'm saying is Games Workshop loves them some religious imagery.

Dammit Imperial Guard, why do you have to be so weedy?  Can't you have models as individually competent as the dumb old Marines?  There's just too many of you!  My plan for a 1000-point "budget" Guard army comes out to $270 without supplies.  That in itself is not outside of my price range.  But painting 60 dudes and their vehicles is so much more work than I want to do.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2009, 06:19:43 am »

I see. Hmm, I persist in choosing Blood Angels. Besides access to the Death Company and having over-charged engines on their vehicles, what others options Blood Angels have over the standard Space Marines?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2009, 06:33:47 am »

All I'm saying is Games Workshop loves them some religious imagery.

Well they are the personal servants of the God-Emperor of Mankind. Technically they would fall under the definition of Angels.

But then again, so would Chaos Marines, in fact Chaos Marines match Angels even better, since they serve actual Gods...

Dammit Imperial Guard, why do you have to be so weedy?  Can't you have models as individually competent as the dumb old Marines?  There's just too many of you!  My plan for a 1000-point "budget" Guard army comes out to $270 without supplies.  That in itself is not outside of my price range.  But painting 60 dudes and their vehicles is so much more work than I want to do.

That is kind of the point of the IG :P

Just remember, if you're playing IG. You need moar tanks. No exceptions.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 17, 2009, 06:36:33 am »

Never!  They called me mad, mad, when I said I could build a Tournament-winning Guard army made of nothing but infantry.  But I'll show them.  I'll show them all!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2009, 06:38:12 am »

Never!  They called me mad, mad, when I said I could build a Tournament-winning Guard army made of nothing but infantry.  But I'll show them.  I'll show them all!

1000 points of IG Infantry is like what, 100 models? Good luck keeping track of them in the battle, although on the plus side they'll rapidly become a more managable number.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2009, 07:14:06 am »

Awesome tide of humans is awesome.

Don't Ork armies run up to about that size as well?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2009, 07:21:13 am »

Yeah, but anyone trying to organise Orks is wasting his time. Plus when you dump 100 Ork models onto the table the other guy goes "Oh, Orks." When you dump 100 IG models onto the table the guy looks at you and goes "Are you an idiot or do you have invisible tanks?"

Seriously; minimum number of required troops, then start dropping Baneblades and Leman Russes onto the table until you're out of points. Fill in the gaps with some Kasrkin. Your opponant will break out the anti-vehicle weapons, but it won't matter, because very soon all his solders will be missing their torsos. (This post is in jest at the standard IG tactic of 'MOAR TANKS')

Although to be fair, considering the IG, that tactic might actually work. God i hate Leman Russes.

Plus the Orks get these handy-dandy bonases for having butt-loads of troops on the table.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:23:34 am by Neruz »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2009, 07:25:03 am »

Really? I have a thing for them.

But still, it'd be interesting if you played with only IG infantry. Used correctly, I'm sure victory isn't impossible.

And besides, Karsakins. Beam spam all the way man.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2009, 07:28:51 am »

If used against an unknown opponent who's using a balanced or Tournament-oriented army, I think an all-infantry Guard army would fare quite well, for two reasons.

First, in 40K, "balanced" or Tournament-oriented really means "designed to kill Marines" since that's always what you're probably facing.  That and vehicles of course, like sane Guard players would bring.  But what that instead means, is that every point spent on high-strength low-AP weapons for killing Marines and tanks is a point wasted against an army of nothing but T3/Sv5+ scrubs.

Second, and bolstered by the first, is the simple numbers.  Especially against Marine-style armies who are always thin, 100 guys in a thousand point force almost makes defeat a mathematical impossibility.  There's just too many bodies on the table for the other guy to effectively kill them all in six turns and still hold objectives.

Naturally this would fall flat against better hordes, namely Tyranids, because you can't out-zerg the original zerg.  Ordinance weapons would also be a bitch, but that's what missile launchers are for.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2009, 07:30:11 am »

Tell me, how do tournaments work, in general? Say you had to field a 1500 point army. Could you bring more than that along and simply field what seems like the best option against the army you're facing?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 199