Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: The meaning of suicide...  (Read 11605 times)

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
Re: The meaning of suicide...
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2009, 09:51:49 am »

Many things in human behavior have meaning, war is a base instictual thing and has meaning to keep the best of the speices in charge, murder is another base instinctual thing developed to supply food for eating although highly unused by modern humans thus the urge to kill dosen't fit nicely into civilization, religion is another instinctual thing developed to...um yeah its useful but generally wouldn't harm humans if it didn't happen, love is a base instict to create young and comunities to support them...

Suicide is a instintual flaw in humans, yes it has its uses in some organisms, but humans having it it a very meaningless thing.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2009, 10:40:28 pm »

Cynicism is also a bitch - it ties in nicely with the whole "nothing's ever going to get any better" sentiment common amongst suicidal people. If only cynicism was wrong...
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2009, 04:32:44 am »

Many things in human behavior have meaning, war is a base instictual thing and has meaning to keep the best of the speices in charge, murder is another base instinctual thing developed to supply food for eating although highly unused by modern humans thus the urge to kill dosen't fit nicely into civilization, religion is another instinctual thing developed to...um yeah its useful but generally wouldn't harm humans if it didn't happen, love is a base instict to create young and comunities to support them...

Suicide is a instintual flaw in humans, yes it has its uses in some organisms, but humans having it it a very meaningless thing.

wat

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2009, 04:40:11 am »

It's the flaw of intelligence, I think.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2009, 08:51:16 am »

I think Indonesia War Minister has a point there...

Holy shit.

Posted to facebook.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2009, 09:55:58 am »

I just (hopefully) came out a low point in my life recently, so the memories are still fresh.

In my case, it was several things that added to one depressing outlook. Interestingly enough, most of those were lies made up by my own mind during the time. It just had a way of repeating the lies until they felt true.

I felt as though I wasn't needed, so my death wouldn't have a large impact on those I love. Also, I felt that my future wasn't worth waiting for (school, school, school, job, job, job, death). Finally, the general environment at the time was just unhappy.

Now, with a happier perspective, I could tell the first two were kind of imaginary. My mind had managed to stretch small things (i.e. financial stability) to huge issues (i.e. they don't need you). The first two were basically results of that.

I'm not a professional, so take my advice with a grain of salt:

What really brought my out of my depression (I don't want to say depression, because I don't have it) was finding out that my self-told lies were really lies. I'd say clearing up any misunderstandings by the suicidal person can really help if they harbor misunderstandings.

Of course, getting a professional is definitely a good idea.

Funny how easy it is to talk about these things on the internet.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2009, 10:05:36 am »

wat

Seconded.

What.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2009, 02:01:53 pm »

in BC times suicide in asian and other countrys were often regarded as honorable things, then they declared it a crime against god and the family of the person who comitted suicide would lose most if not all of their possessions, be disregarded and many other things. In any case, i don't support suicide though i have a brother who tryed to once, by overdosing on anti-depressment pills. He was 20 minutes after at a resteraunt and he said "I don't wanna die.".

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2009, 05:14:28 pm »

I swear some people are so fucking stupid... Have you ever heard someone tell a depressed person to "just get over it". 

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2009, 05:21:31 pm »

I swear some people are so fucking stupid... Have you ever heard someone tell a depressed person to "just get over it". 

...Who was that even directed at?

And yes, I have heard people say that. It is a fucking stupid thing to say, but people say it.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2009, 09:43:20 am »

I can't imagine ever committing suicide personally, the idea that I'll die one day is bad enough for me actually bringing it about early regardless of the circumstances is unthinkable.
I think it's actually quite soothing.

Knowing that no matter what problems you may face, how life may develop... Everything will end some day.  Wether it's good or bad.  Nothing lasts forever.

Something funny happenened to me today.  A hoboman (In the bikes waggon of the train I take to work) gave me a great advice without intending to...

He told me that he was a fugitive.  Not from the law but from life.  Drinking and smoking to run away.  No job, no house.

And I realized I've been doing the same for a while.  Escaping problems or challenges and many people seem to be doing the same. 

Suicide is just an extreme form of it. 

What one needs to do... is to stop running away. 
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2009, 10:28:08 am »

I feel the use of suicide is people's response to a lack of control. People have terrible things going on their life that they feel they have no effect on, such as domestic problems with parents, financial, school work, or just simple an unfortunate turn of genetics that causes a slight chemical imbalance in the brain. If they feel like they can control their own death they might get something out of it maybe? I dunno, never seriously looked into it.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2009, 11:10:29 am »

I am tired, my time won't come
I have lost hope of the sleep.
the darkness will enrapture me,
take me to a better place
it can't come soon enough, So I'll bring it myself

I've felt bad, and considered suicide, but I've felt fine and still considered it, I've been wanting to know what lies beyond this life that is so shallow ever since religion was reintroduced to me during the teenage years.

My friends they told me not to do it,
as though it twas a sin?
Despite the fact that god can forgive,
they said I'd go to hell.
if so, what could it matter,
this life seemed to be the same...

I've given up on suicide, I think that I can do more alive than I could dead.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2009, 10:16:00 am »

It could be worse, if you ever told my mother that you think you might commit suicide she would threaten to burn you in a bonfire in the backyard so that you would know what hell feels like.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2009, 03:47:15 pm »

You shout in your sleep,
perhaps the price is just too steep.
Is your conscience at rest,
if once put to the test?

You awake with a start,
to just the beating of your heart,
just one man beneath the sky,
just two ears, just two eyes.

You set sail across the sea
of long-passed thoughts and memories.
Childhood's end, your fantasies,
merge with harsh realities.

And then as the sail is hoist,
you find your eyes are growing moist,
and all the fears never voiced
say you have to make the final choice.

Who are you, and who am I?
To say we know the reason why,
some are born, some men die,
beneath one infinite sky,

There'll be war and there'll be peace,
but everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust,
all the proud men turned to dust.

And so all things time will mend,
and so this song will end.

Pink Floyd has quite a few interesting songs that deal with related subjects.  Free Four is a hilariously upbeat tune about life and how quickly it slips away or becomes meaningless.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11