Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The FAIL! Thread.  (Read 873 times)

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
The FAIL! Thread.
« on: September 05, 2009, 02:26:31 am »

Please post your greatest fortress FAIL!s here, preferably fortress ending ones:

I had two goblin ambushes in rapid succession, along with a snatcher and two thieves.

They killed a lot of dwarves, including several legendaries and some of my starting 7. What had been four deaths before now rose to 23. Cue tantrum spirals, death toll raises into the thirties, several of the fortress guard are too wounded to deal with the berserk dwarves, some bleed to death, some of the other injured go berserk while in hospital beds.

I draft some of the people who aren't depressed into the military to deal with berserk dwarves, they become depressed.  All the while trying to detail floors/walls, bury dead dwarves, bury dead pets, get rid of miasma, anything to make dwarves happy again.

In my effort to get miasma out, I designate a graveyard stockpile, nobody likes that, more dwarves go insane, my legendary miner takes out three people before calming down. My 150 dwarf fortress now at 100, Engravers engrave hundreds of depressing pictures.

Population: 80 dwarves.

Population: 67

Population: 60

With the population of my fortress either wounded or insane, I rally have no choice but to abandon, my best fort felled by 10 goblins, a humiliating defeat.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 04:15:37 am by Taco Dan »
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The FAIL! Thread.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 08:53:04 am »

A military of 10 is not nearly enough to protect a Fortress on a 16x16 map.  Especially when the immigrants drink all your booze, causing your population to continually migrate 6 area tiles over to get a drink of water.
By the way, the invading goblin army was about 150.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 08:55:31 am »

Hey those goblins are stuck in the filling moat! I could station my ranged guys next to the moat and they'll pepper them with arrows! No way they could go down the ramps and attempt to beat them with their bows while drowning because they can't swim!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 09:10:35 am »

So that was my first siege.  Man, those goblins were so out classed, I mean...

wait, a champion just drowned!?

a wardog.. the hell is ... oh, oh gods...

CARP!

wait... THE ARMY IS GOING IN AFTER THE FISH!  MAKE IT STOP!  NOOOO!

Funny how 10 champions can murder 24 goblins easy, but 2 carp?  None survived.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 06:52:29 pm »

my most recent loss:
first siege on that map 3 battalions of goblins killed by my "army" with one dwarf killed
then my first dragon ever came in and killed the rest of my army and 10 dwarves out side collecting from the siege brought down by a ballista and traps
then the nobles came and i just said "well there goes the neighborhood" and i abandoned

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 07:05:42 pm »

My fail.... I decide to build a trap to dispose of caged PoW's into the magma pipe, dwarves begin running up to build the floors to place the cages on when all of a sudden the cave wall collapses, 20 dwarves go into the magma, the last ten were all lovers or best friends and go beserk, then throwing themselves into the magma.  One is left, not sad at all, I look at her attributes annndddd
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Read the very last line........
She then killed 2 sieges, a goblin and an orc siege by herself.  Using traps, ballistae and her +steel axe+
What killed her was a berserk child..... WTF
Nom nom nom