Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25

Author Topic: Plump Helmet: Innocent name or Phal*ic menace?  (Read 27626 times)

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plump Helmet: Innocent name or Phal*ic menace?
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2009, 06:13:06 pm »

Beards are the reproductive organs of dwarfs. The rest of the dwarf is underground or inside the beard the dwarf thrives in.
Spores. It makes sense.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2009, 06:14:34 pm »

Nice re-quote there...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2009, 06:21:51 pm »

Lol. If my sigspace wasn't full I'd sig that
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2009, 06:24:58 pm »

Beards are the reproductive organs of dwarfs. The rest of the dwarf is underground or inside the beard the dwarf thrives in.
Spores. It's what's for dinner!
fix'd
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2009, 06:36:38 pm »

Anyway, I know for sure people also eat Shiitake (did I spell it right?) mushrooms...
Shiitake? Never heard of those. Well, I know about three other types for sure. There are truffles, chanterelles and, well, "Steinpilze". Seriously, I found three names for the last one, the botanical name, a french word and an italian word. Yellow boletus (The hell, they aren't yellow!), cèpe and porcino.
BTW: "Steinpilz" translated is "stone mushroom". That's one hell of a dwarven mushroom!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2009, 06:55:03 pm »

How the hell have you never heard of Shiitake?

I guess some people just fail at asia, notably Mozilla, who seem to think shiitake isn't a word.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2009, 07:28:25 pm »

You never want to read this topic while drinking soda. Trust me. Ouch.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2009, 07:33:20 pm »

Mushrooms are the reproductive organs of fungi. The rest of the fungus is underground or inside the organism the fungus thrives in.

I find that unlikely. There isn't anything beneath a mushroom if you pluck it.

Otherwise, mushrooms are the manliest things ever.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2009, 07:40:50 pm »

Mushrooms are the reproductive organs of fungi. The rest of the fungus is underground or inside the organism the fungus thrives in.

Their caps are what release the reproductive spores. And the point of the stalk is to support the cap.
 Fungus pretty much just extends tendrils into food, grows a massive reproductive organ and dies.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2009, 07:52:43 pm »

How the hell have you never heard of Shiitake?

I guess some people just fail at asia, notably Mozilla, who seem to think shiitake isn't a word.
Hey, no need to get rude! I don't accuse you of "failing" at anything because you don't know chanterelles or porcini/yellow boleti. And no, that's not some bizarre, unknown botanics-fu, they're actually pretty well-known edible mushrooms. Well, maybe not where you live, but guess what?! Shiitake aren't well-known here in Germany, so don't act as if I have to know the same stuff that you know. You're not the center of the fucking universe!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2009, 07:56:10 pm »

Below the mushroom is the so-called mycelium, which is a network of long, thin threads of fungal cells. You can barely see them with the naked eye, but with a magnifying glass or a microscope you can.
A lot of fungi live in symbiosys with trees, effectively increasing the surface area of the tree roots with their long thin threads, thus helping the tree absorb water and nutrients in exchange for sugars.
Fungi stand somewhat between single- and multicellular organisms. The mycelium is much more of a colony of singlecellular organisms, yet once it accumulates enough mass, it can grow complex and specialized organs like mushrooms.
The 'witches circles' of mushrooms are not multiple organisms, but rather the reproductive organs (or flowers, if you like) of a complex of mycelium. The bigger the circle, the older the fungus (a fungus does not nescessarily die after sprouting mushrooms. Some mushroom circles are 100s of years old).
It once started as one tiny spore in the middle of that circle, and expands outwards each year.
The mycelium is the main body of the fungus. It grows mushrooms in a certain period of the year for reproduction.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 07:59:31 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2009, 08:00:11 pm »

hopefully in a later version of the game mushrooms will actually grow in rings like that, instead of acting as shrubs like they do now.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2009, 08:02:56 pm »

Beards are the reproductive organs of dwarves. The rest of the dwarf is underground or inside the beard the dwarf thrives in.

I find that unlikely. There isn't anything beneath a beard if you pluck it.

Otherwise, beards are the manliest things ever.

Below the beard is the so-called mycelium, which is a network of long, thin threads of dwarven cells. You can barely see them with the naked eye, but with a magnifying glass or a microscope you can.
A lot of dwarves live in symbiosys with dirt, effectively increasing the surface area of the beards with their long thin threads, thus helping the dirt absorb water and nutrients in exchange for fancy mugs.
Dwarves stand somewhat between single- and multicellular organisms. The mycelium is much more of a colony of singlecellular organisms, yet once it accumulates enough mass, it can grow complex and specialized organs like beards.
The 'witches circles' of beards are not multiple organisms, but rather the reproductive organs (or flowers, if you like) of complex of mycelium. The bigger the circle, the older the dwarf. It once started as one tiny spore in the middle of that circle, and expands outwards each year.
The mycelium is the main body of the dwarf. It grows beards in a certain period of the year for reproduction.
Huh. I never knew that.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 08:04:57 pm by Rashilul »

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2009, 08:13:42 pm »

hopefully in a later version of the game mushrooms will actually grow in rings like that, instead of acting as shrubs like they do now.
Or maybe Plump Helmets will start growing where you don't want them to. I mean: Plump helmets survive every season, they grow very quickly and plump helmets destroying floor engravings or even "un-smoothing" the floor could become a serious problem. You could harvest it, but that won't get rid of the mycelium. You would have to deconstruct any constructed floors in the immediate vicinity and maybe use some alchemistic substance to get rid of the mycelium.
Restricting that to plump helmets wouldn't be practical, because people will just stop planting them, but plump helmets should be the worst in this respect. Otherwise, they'll just be the perfect food they are right now.
There should be some way to protect the floor fom the shroomy menace, but I can't think of anything.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2009, 08:20:27 pm »

so normal mushrooms spread their mycelium through dirt and soil, but plump helments can spread through stone.

Like they're digging.

Like dwarves.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25