Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Bub and Bob need you!  (Read 8731 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bub and Bob need you!
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2009, 09:26:29 pm »

Well, I'm still angry at Nintendo for their latest installment of the series: Punchout! (Wii), which focuses more on the original style of play, and only has one new opponent:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, in the game, to technically beat the game, you have to fight each boxer twice, once in normal mode, and again in "defense" mode where they have a modified attack pattern/special gimmick, but are otherwise unchanged. It was nifty for Glass Joe, who actually became challenging, but absolutely smacks of laziness on everyone else. It's like they don't even WANT to think of new characters.

What's worse is that, from what I've played of the original (really only up until bald bull) they had a field day completely reducing each character to an 2-dimensional stereotype. Flanderization abound! It REALLY removes any likability a character has when they're made into a unfunny cartoonish exaggeration of their former self.

You want to know why I liked Nick Bruiser so much? Because of whole Super Punchout cast, him and his brother Rick were the only ones that weren't cartoony stereotypes or caricatures or walking gimmicks. The buildup to Nick and Rick is intense, without guides, I beat Narcis Prince and Hoy Quarlow (where the game suddenly jumps in difficulty), and then you had to fight a huge smiling muscular man named Rick who's size was so prodigial he could shake the whole ring and stun you for a knockout blow. Then, after I don't know how many tries, I finally beat him and got to his brother, Nick. Being he brother, he was a pallette swap, but was very different. He was much silent and stoic where his brother was smiling and emphatic, and his movements were mechanical, his punches were strong, and he shook the ring when he walked. He scared the CRAP out of me! However, when I finally managed to knock him down for the first time, he jumped up almost immediately, then softly punched himself on the forehead and my heart melted for this monsterous muscular behemoth. That little action, coupled with his ending quote ("I'm so ashamed. How could I suffer such total defeat?") in my opinion, made him the most interesting and likable character in all of Punchout canon, and endeared me to him permanently. Being a stoic myself, I could identify that he was a perfectionist, had high expectations of himself, and even the smallest mistake was unforgivable. Of all the Punchout opponents, he was the only one I felt bad about beating up, which only became worse once I figured out his pattern and found out how dead easy he was. Or, I could just be thinking about things too hard, but I prefer the former.

Also, in another bullshit move, Nintendo has a single match game, downloadable via WiiWare, named Doc Louis's Punchout!:

http://punchout.wikia.com/wiki/Doc_Louis%27s_Punch-Out!!

What I don't like about it, is that it's only available via download (already immediately shunning those that lack the ability or knowledge to hook up a Wii to the internet) and it requires that you have Platinum Status as a Club Nintendo Member (Hey! Want to play our game? JUMP THROUGH THE HOOP!). I feel this is unforgivable, and I can't believe they'd do something like that. What's worse is that it's blurb "implies that it won't receive worldwide release" so people outside of North America probably won't ever get to see it.

Modern gaming depresses me.

Zombie0hour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2009, 09:33:33 pm »

What is wrong with the makers of that site!?!? Some of those people should not even be there!
"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2009, 03:04:46 pm »

Hey guys, this thing's still going.  And going just as expected.  To watch-

Title favorites Bub & Bob beat out Sonic by a hair, and are now facing Samus.
Gordon Freeman vs Solid Snake - Battle of the Beards
Cloud Strife vs Kratos - Battle of the Belligerent Fanboys
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2009, 03:10:45 pm »

Who will win?!

4chan decides.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2009, 03:15:42 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:09:45 pm by Stany »

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2009, 03:33:37 pm »

Too bad 4chan couldn't get Little Mac to win.
Hey guys, this thing's still going.  And going just as expected.  To watch-

Title favorites Bub & Bob beat out Sonic by a hair, and are now facing Samus.
Gordon Freeman vs Solid Snake - Battle of the Beards
Cloud Strife vs Kratos - Battle of the Belligerent Fanboys
You forgot the alt title to Freeman VS Snake: CRAB BATTLE (Headcrabs and well, crab battle of course)
The way things are going, we're probably going to get
Duke Nukem VS Link - Bad fanfiction.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2009, 04:03:56 pm »

Duke Nukem VS Link - BadAwesome fanfiction.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2009, 06:25:42 pm »

Now things get interesting. There's Mario VS Lara Croft, to watch. I will, of course, be voting Mario. If you've got your doubts, play Super Mario RPG or either of the Paper Mario games (you'd probably like PM2 most).

There's also B&B VS Samus. I'm not sure where this will go, because a lot more people on the chans five a crap about Samus.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2009, 07:04:34 pm »

Round three has started.

Current competitions, leader listed left:

Mario > Lara Croft
Bub & Bob > Samus (yikes, they're unstoppable!)
Kratos > Cloud Strife
Mega Man > Pac Man
Ryu > Niko Bellic
Duke Nukem > Ryu Hayabasa (wat?)
Snake > Gordon Freeman (it's close)
Link > Donkey Kong

I totally think DK needs to beat link.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2009, 06:06:39 am »

If you haven't voted in this round yet, but somehow also care, Bub & Bob are beating Samus Aran by 8 votes.

Also, patron saint of gaming nerds Gordon Freeman is leading Solid Snake by about 300, which is too slim.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2009, 06:22:03 am »

Samus is ahead...  :(

Too much hate for B&B I think, people voting against them because they beat Chief and Sonic.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2009, 07:48:58 pm »

Just thought I'd bump this, because the final round begins in a couple days.  Surprising no one, the Final Four turned out to be Mario, Samus Aran, Link, and Dr. Gordon Freeman.  Mario, as ever and always, is due to win his round, but Dr. Freeman and Link are separated by all of 30 votes, Gordy being the lower.  Nerds, support your savior.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2009, 09:01:13 pm »

Gordy better damn beat Link.  Stupid elf.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2009, 09:10:55 pm »

I have of course, already voted as such.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2009, 09:13:15 pm »

I told everyone on facebook to vote for Gordon, but I doubt any of them know what I was talking about.  I have no friends who share my interests.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10