Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Friend dieing stuff  (Read 1571 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Friend dieing stuff
« on: September 04, 2009, 06:43:02 pm »

Would it be possible to divide the bad thought of a death by the square root of the number of friends or something?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Friend dieing stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 08:02:56 pm »

This is already in.  There's a trait a dwarf gets when they're around death where it pretty much stops effecting them.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 08:07:38 pm »

The reactions to death right now are a bit wierd, in my opinion. They ought to be at least a little bit more reactive to tragedy.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 08:11:14 pm »

Also, I don't think having a lot of friends makes it hurt less when one dies.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:33:43 pm »

no, but having more friends left, rather than fewer, should help you get over it.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 09:48:16 pm »

Then a better solution would be to consider 'was recently comforted by a friend' type modifiers.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 12:04:49 am »

The reactions to death right now are a bit wierd, in my opinion. They ought to be at least a little bit more reactive to tragedy.

I don't think that dwarves are nearly as emotional as humans.
I mean, come on, dwarves who are married typically talk to each other like once a month or something.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 12:22:14 am »

Then a better solution would be to consider 'was recently comforted by a friend' type modifiers.

I'm not entirely certain that we're in the wrong to assume that a person with a lot of 'friends' have them at a level of intimacy as people cho choose to spend time with a select few.

Speaking as an introvert, i realize that people have friends for different reasons. Extroverts tend to spend time in social circumstances as relaxation. I.e. going out to meet others as a self-affirming action. They may know a lot of things about others, but may not be intimily connected to anyone.
I by contrast relax best when by myself. In any case, both 'types' may have the same number of 'intimates', at any given time.

I can say that a lot of my old friends, if they died, i couldn't care much. Even if we both consider ourselves friends and would probably be able to hook up and do stuff just like that, they are still so far removed from my current life. I wouldn't lack a part if they went and died.

I don't feel that people have the TIME to maintain friends to the scale of DF. Every child and every veteran soldier/guard(even more so with nerve damage), are friends with every one else 'off-duty'.

In my current fort, i have exactly 103 of 203 dwarves being either children/infants or who are conscripts. Counting the number of friends of a few of them:

'sUs' Abeica, Slayer[1] - 43 friends
'G6Leye' Umbralenses the Gloved Carnality of cobras, Titanslayer[2] - 61 friends
Emeg Materuja, child - 46 friends
Lathi Pativalona, mayor - 35 friends[3]
Boned Daughter, wrestler - 24 friends

[1] - recieved damage to upper spine while sparring, killed an invader
[2] - lost left eye to a bolt to the skull on the sixth' goblin invasion, slew a titan(21 assorted invaders)
[3] - WHOA, my titanslayer's boning my mayor's only daughter(husband died in a tragic incident with an elf bowmaster). She must've grown to be twelve like just a few years ago! It's 213 now, and i started out the game at 200. The logs tell me she became an adult just before i introduced the date-system on deaths, so maybe a season before the summer of 213. She'd be 12,5 now.
Also, she's got a broken leg and is only issued a pair of copper leggings.  ::)

With a food shortage coming up there are bound to be some serious tantruming and knocking of skulls. It'll be fun to see who prevails.

I play a modded race of lizardmen who are carnivores, which causes them to be unable to eat anything but meat and fish. They can still drink plant-based liquids though. They won't eat any form of prepared meal, so my sources of food are hunting(everything's dead), fishing(unsustainable), breeding(still a way to go), and trading for meat/fish. Caravan's coming up in like 4 months. We have been all out for a while now.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 12:34:05 am »

Well, i guess ONE fix that would settle all my grievances, would be to allow friendship to 'decay' after a while :)

People in 'friend' status, would decay maybe 1/4 so fast as a 'passing aquaintance', a long-term aquaintance would decay at 1/2.
Even a former friend should decay at 1/4 even when at long-term aquaintance.
These losses should be offset by allowing them to again increace by a factor of 4 for former friends. 2 for passing aquaintance etc.

Personality traits should come into play in how quickly a dwarf attaches to others, and how fast the base rate of decay is. I imagine an extrovert would easily form pretty deep connections but grow out of them just as quickly. Jumping between relationships, groups etc.

Also, the compatability of dwarves in personality should determine their max level of aquaintance. So a certain match could only be a grudge, another an unwillingness to interact, another to become passing, going up to long-term, friends and lovers.

So two dwarves can't be locked up and be made to fornicate unless we also set in place a system of CHANGING personality over time(i.e. loneliness/desperation, etc)

Of course it'd be great with more in-depth social circle rules. How dwarves match up etc.
Family ties should weaken also. Grudges form etc. Not to mention lovers.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 01:38:43 am »

I play a modded race of lizardmen who are carnivores, which causes them to be unable to eat anything but meat and fish.

The image in my head is Raptor Jesus serving fish to his disciples.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Ashmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 03:17:53 am »

I think there should be some effect of common friends, which could manifest itself as positive thoughts along the line of "Shared some memories of a lost friend".

Another thing I'd thought about that relates to this is burial ceremonies, where dwarves could meet, share those memories and console each other. But then again, as it is the year is short enough without "Some dwarves are holding a wake over Urist McFisherdwarf at obsidian coffin" between sieges and parties.

Oh, and being able to define not only tombs, but also larger cemeteries/burial halls whose quality affect the thoughts of dwarves.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 03:21:01 am »

Ashmore has a good one. That would add a little more poignancy than "was comforted by a friend".

I play a modded race of lizardmen who are carnivores, which causes them to be unable to eat anything but meat and fish.

YES.

Hail Raptor Jesus!
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 04:42:38 am »

Ashmore has a good one. That would add a little more poignancy than "was comforted by a friend".

YES.

Hail Raptor Jesus!

Kumbiya, my lord, kumbiy-aaaagghhh, oh god, my leg!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 09:33:59 am »

I think modelling shock would make it easier to tweak reactions better.  See your friend die would still suck, they just might be able to deal with the goblin invasion or getting out of the flooding cavern or whatever first.  (Just setting 'moping' to a high priority action might work... goblins would be HIGHER)

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 09:59:52 am »

Funerals (or whatever dwarves would have) could be a good way to make the grief-thoughts and comforted-thoughts occur simultaneously.  Otherwise you might have a dwarf go berserk just as all of his chums are heading over to comfort him.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.