Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Clashespaints: The Quest for a Pick (community)  (Read 15852 times)

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orc Mod, now with aquifiers and ridiculous restrictions! (Community)
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2009, 07:57:30 pm »

With winter upon us, all the dwarves take shelter within the walls, the main bridge is retracted and no one goes outside.

Sabrina: So now what?

Christes: I have an idea! Let’s build a bunch of supports over there!

Sabrina: To support what? There’s no ceiling over there.

Christes: It doesn’t matter, it will make things all supporty!

Sabrina: Alright...

Lucent: I’m not building supports! I’m a chef!

MJO: Well why don’t you hang out in the dining room and chat with the useless immigrant. Armok knows your social skills could use the work.

Lucent: What was that?!

MJO: Nothing.

Goron: I’m not building supports either. I’m going to go wrestle some of those new arrivals. To show them who’s boss.

Christes: Me?

Goron: Sure.

A few days pass

Sabrina: Alright, we’re done building the supports. Now what do we do?

Christes: Now we tear them all down and build them over there instead! And then we tear them down again and build them in the first spot!

Sabrina: Why?

Christes: Well, what else are we going to do?

Sabrina: True.

MJO: Hey, Sysice! How’s the taking inventory going?

Sysice: Pretty good. I’m beginning to enjoy it.

Goron: I’m going to count stuff now! It will help make me stronger!

Sysice: Counting stuff will make you stronger? How does that work, exactly?

MJO: No one knows. But it does. You can build supports with us.

Months go by.

Kith: Weren’t there supposed to be orcs coming?

MJO: I guess they haven’t noticed us yet.

Kith: Are you sure this is the right spot?

MJO: Yeah, we’re right at a crossroads between 3 orc fortresses. I guess word just hasn’t gotten to them yet.

Twiggy: So we still have no metal.

MJO: Not yet, at least. We’ll have to spend the spring producing massive amounts of wealth to make sure tales of our fort reach the far reaches of the world. That’ll get them here.

Lucent: Well, while you’re doing that, Goron and I are going to get married. And we’re inviting nearly all the dwarves who are good at doing anything to the reception. Except you.

MJO: Alright.

As the party finally starts to wind down, we receive word that elven merchants are approaching.

Twiggy: Oh boy, elves! I like elves!

MJO: Yes, we know. Let’s get all those skull totems out to the depot, along with some of the crap those kobolds were wearing.

Lucent: I hope we can get some other brewable plants.

MJO: Yes, we all do. Looks like Twiggy is done. Twiggy! Did you get anything good?

Twiggy: I got us a pet hippo!

MJO: A hippo? Why?

Twiggy: Umm, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

MJO: Well, at least we can use its cage to lock all these puppies that are running around. And is that a donkey foal? How did our donkey get pregnant?

Christes: I think that the dwarven caravan had a donkey with them.

MJO: But they just hung out way at the edge of the map.

Christes: Yeah, animals reproduce telekinetically.

MJO: Oh, right.

Goron: Well, I’m off to hunt some elephants.

Goron tracks down an elephant, and fires an entire quiver full of bolts at it, only managing to lightly injure its spine. He then attempts to bash it with his crossbow.

Goron: Hey, I could use a little help over here!

Akigagak: I’m on my way!

Goron and Akigagak  start bashing and chopping up the elephant, but they can’t do enough damage to it. An epic battle ensues, with neither the dwarves nor the elephant doing any real damage to the other side. Finally, the elephant somehow falls into one of the dried up ponds.

Goron: Well damn. Oh well, I’m going to go bash a warthog.

MJO: Will someone please put all these puppies in the cage?

Rice: That’s what useless immigrants are for.

MJO: YOU’RE A USELESS IMMIGRANT!

Rice: Not anymore, all these newer guys are the useless immigrants now.

MJO: What? Oh. Oh great, a milker.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2009, 08:07:19 pm »

Could I get a miner named Dante who's goal is to find hell? He is sure its down there somewhere so he keeps digging. I mean, for all he knows it could be where you need those rooms excavated. Also: It'll be quite funny when he arrives and finds no pick. (I don't know if your map has HFS, or if you will breach it, but he doesn't know that, and the other dwarves can keep tricking him if you do find it)

Well, getting you someone who already has a mining skill will be a little tough. Besides any immigrant who has mining will come with his own pick. But check out the new arrivals and see if you like anyone, I can just ignore whatever skills he already has. No HFS though.

well i need to pay more attention then, ill wait till the next wave

It was just the day before you asked for him that I had played a few months of winter and Libash had become a champion. I hadn't updated his stats though, I was waiting for an actual update to do that. But everyone's stats are accurate now.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2009, 08:12:08 pm »

hey, can you upload to DFMA?

would be cool

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2009, 08:20:49 pm »

Man my dwarf is awesome, lol. I'm not a useless immigrant anymore! Plus if all else fails I can just go back to being a wrestler.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2009, 08:37:51 pm »

Really not a lot to see yet, but here you go:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6957-clashespaints

On the top level, you can see I'm improving the labyrinth and re-locating The Project, so there's more opportunity to shoot at enemies before they reach it. Once that's done, I'm going to tear down a small section of the bottom wall and relocate the dining and bed rooms down there so I have space near the entrance for workshops and to prevent dwarves from complaining about noise.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 08:41:37 pm by mjo625 »

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2009, 09:11:31 pm »

What are the stats looking like?

Also, I really like the way you portray the quirks of DF.  Keep it up!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:56:10 pm by Christes »

theevilmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2009, 09:36:28 pm »

I want Rovod Isethstakud, new plan though, become glassmaker, make myself a room entirely made of green glass (except the bed of course) make myself a full set of furniture, a cabinet, 2 chests, a armour and weapon rack a glass portal... my own dining room made in the same fashion..   by a room of all glass i mean a room dug out like usal cept bigger.. then build glass floors and walls around the edges

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2009, 09:44:54 pm »

Goron: I’m not building supports either. I’m going to go wrestle some of those new arrivals. To show them who’s boss.
/Win.
I wholeheartidly approve of your narrative of Goron.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2009, 10:13:01 pm »

What are the stats looking like?

Also, I really like the way you portray the quirks of DF.  Keep it up!

Thanks. I've been editting in everyone's stat gains to the 2nd post. You're still by far our best architect, and likely to stay that way.

I want Rovod Isethstakud, new plan though, become glassmaker, make myself a room entirely made of green glass (except the bed of course) make myself a full set of furniture, a cabinet, 2 chests, a armour and weapon rack a glass portal... my own dining room made in the same fashion..   by a room of all glass i mean a room dug out like usal cept bigger.. then build glass floors and walls around the edges

Done. I can make your rooms above ground, that way you can get started on them right away rather than having to wait for our quest for a pick to be completed. You'll also be doing wood burning. And if you want clear glass instead of green, that's fine too but you'll also be doing all the tasks leading to pearlash. That might actually better, to keep you busy while I get some bags made. I'm just going to make your rooms 3x3 squares, unless you'd care to draw up some blueprints for me to follow.

And to everyone else, with defences coming along nicely I've gotten to the point where I think I can get everything done in time for summer using only myself and 3 or 4 other dwarves, which I can take from the unclaimed before I draft them. If there are any mini-projects like private rooms you want, let me know and I'll get working on them.

When summer comes along, I'll be "sealing" us inside again, but provided your dwarf doesn't need to go outside for anything any projects you designate can continue.

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
Re: Clashespaints: The Quest for a Pick (community)
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2009, 10:28:29 pm »

i wish to claim Catten Akgoslogem
for now train me as a wrestler but don't let me get locked in i have other plans.
if i run out of sparring to do have me haul untill i get a pick then i will help break through the aquifier. once we break the aquifier i will help dig out the initial rooms. then i will go tto work smoothing and engraving. once that is done i will dig myself out 4 fairly large rooms. smooth and engrave those. (or pay someone a steel bar to do so if they want to.) i will then start creating mechanisims. to build drowning traps with. oh and also sometime during this if i have the time i will make myself an axe out of silver. and if i can squeeze in and smelt any meltables that aren't claimed by anyone. (kobold weapons i would assume)
put me the on the steel list for a pick... actually i will donate steel to chistes providing he uses it for a pick. once he has one i will make one for myself. if i aquire a pick switch me over to a steel chest then a cabinet. that's what 9 blocks? could take a while.

just giving long term plans in case i miss anything :)

edit: altered plans slightly
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:37:26 pm by Typoman »

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2009, 10:52:08 pm »

And while I'm in the middle of editing the lists.

A pick is 1 bar, so that makes 7.

I haven't given much thought yet as to how I'm going to handle metals other than steel. I don't know if copper (for example) would serve as an acceptable substitute for the other members. It would for my own, but somehow a copper kitchen doesn't seem to do enough justice to Lucent's biscuits.

What I think I'm going to do is leave the steel list as is. If/when I get different metals, I'll announce it, and the first person to claim it after the announcement will get it. However, claiming a bar of new metal will move you to the end of the steel list.

That way anyone for whom the type of metal doesn't matter so much (like for myself and what I'm sure will be our first pick) can be moved aside quickly and anyone who wants to stick to steel will be moved up the list accordingly.

theevilmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2009, 11:00:42 pm »

Done. I can make your rooms above ground, that way you can get started on them right away rather than having to wait for our quest for a pick to be completed. You'll also be doing wood burning. And if you want clear glass instead of green, that's fine too but you'll also be doing all the tasks leading to pearlash. That might actually better, to keep you busy while I get some bags made. I'm just going to make your rooms 3x3 squares, unless you'd care to draw up some blueprints for me to follow.

thats fine as well.. and when my rooms are complete make a small tunnel leading to it full of glass weapon traps, type can be your choice (clear is fine if you want the extra work but glass is acceptable)
O I want on the steel waiting list, working towards a statue (how many bars do they take anyways?)

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2009, 11:05:27 pm »

And while I'm in the middle of editing the lists.

A pick is 1 bar, so that makes 7.

I haven't given much thought yet as to how I'm going to handle metals other than steel. I don't know if copper (for example) would serve as an acceptable substitute for the other members. It would for my own, but somehow a copper kitchen doesn't seem to do enough justice to Lucent's biscuits.

What I think I'm going to do is leave the steel list as is. If/when I get different metals, I'll announce it, and the first person to claim it after the announcement will get it. However, claiming a bar of new metal will move you to the end of the steel list.

That way anyone for whom the type of metal doesn't matter so much (like for myself and what I'm sure will be our first pick) can be moved aside quickly and anyone who wants to stick to steel will be moved up the list accordingly.

oh if i pick is only 1 bar(never really paid attention to how much metal i was using) i will change again (sorry) since he will already have a pick by the time i get a bar, just cut out the donate step :)

edit: also my offer for steel for smooth/engrave is only if your skill is higher than mine by that point. i am open to haggle. especially if someone managed to become legendary

edit 2: be sure you leave 2 indents in the wall of one of my rooms furthest from the fort, i will install my cabinet in one. don't smooth or engrave the back tile there, i will be digging it out later and breaking through the aquifier at another point so i can build a small farming area for myself with 3 1x3 plots underground and and the same in a walled (but unroofed if we have no flying agressors) area aboveground. accessable only by stairs. by this time we will have rock so i will craft more mechanisims and put a lever operated door behind the one cabinet. the lever can be behind a second cabinet. (stone) essentially crating my own secret area only i can access (only allow me to pull the lever) also put a second lever off to the side of the corridor behind the door a few tiles back that will also operate the door.(again only i can pull it) i plan to be able to hide my ass during sieges and tantrum spirals. and evenually create my own mini fort to survive most catastrophies.

Edit3: also put the farm in a spot where once i add fortifications to the second floor i can help defend the entrance. at a leter date i will build myself an archery target and train in marksdwarf (not enough to lock in please) then build the fortifications and a 1 tile ledge around the edge allowing me to take pot-shots at passing enemies.(so make the walls a little larget than need be) also i will dig a 2 wide channel around my mini-tower if possible (ie i won't cut into the fort exposing people) make sure to get me to make the blocksa needed for all this, i am not paticulary fussy about the stones used. but microline and orthoclase (one for each level) would be highly amusing

all that should keep me busy for a good long while.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:26:28 pm by Typoman »

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2009, 11:14:59 pm »

thats fine as well.. and when my rooms are complete make a small tunnel leading to it full of glass weapon traps, type can be your choice (clear is fine if you want the extra work but glass is acceptable)
O I want on the steel waiting list, working towards a statue (how many bars do they take anyways?)

OK I'll go with clear glass for the actual rooms and green for the traps. A statue and all other furniture is 3 bars.

oh if i pick is only 1 bar(never really paid attention to how much metal i was using) i will change again (sorry) since he will already have a pick by the time i get a bar, just cut out the donate step :)

The FORT will have a pick once we get to you, but I'm giving mine to my dear Sabrina. If you want one of your own, you'll have to maintain your first bar as a pick request. But that's going to be some time off anyway. I'll keep it as a pick for now, and as the fort progresses you (or anyone else) can change your request based on what's happening in the game. Remember to remind me once you move up to 3rd-ish on the list though.

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2009, 11:28:53 pm »

yeah but originally i was gonna give my steel to someone so they could make a pick cause i thought it needed 3 bars. now i am just making one for myself.

aka: leave my request as a pick except it is for me.

edit: come do think of it i don't care what my pick is made of so if we get another metal that it can be made out of first that will do just fine. if you don't mind me pre-ordering. i don't care if i am pushed to the back of the steel list. The cabinet and chest can wait.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:33:54 pm by Typoman »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8