Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Clashespaints: The Quest for a Pick (community)  (Read 15891 times)

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orc Mod, now with aquifiers and ridiculous restrictions! (Community)
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2009, 03:12:16 pm »

edit: as i thought - the wiki says mining is moodable, so dont let me do too much of that, please...

I don't think that will be a problem. You're mostly putting up walls and floors with everyone else. Although it uses the carpentry skill, it doesn't actually grant experience.

You're dabbling in a couple of different things, like wood burning, mechanic and animal training. I think a few more. You might make novice mechanic at the end of the first year, and another level or two of woodcutter which is unmoodable, but not much else.

Fishing is a no go, as the ponds have all dried up, and we have 70+ biscuits thanks to Goron and Lucent. Drinks are a bit more of a concern. The dwarven alcohol is gone and we have 30 units of prickle berry wine. However our seeds are slowly multiplying and your primary skill gain will be in growing, with Lucent filling in every other food task.

Ironically, despite my initial distaste for plump helmets, I've become dependent upon the above ground version as prickle berries are:
-Growable every season
-Fast growing
-Edible raw
-Brewable
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 03:34:54 pm by mjo625 »

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2009, 03:37:18 pm »

how many plants have you gathered? seems weird to only get prickle berries... NEED TURNIPS! for no particular reason, but...

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2009, 04:13:21 pm »

3 to start, which yielded 7 seeds after brewing. Those grew and were brewed giving roughly 20 seeds (No one is doing record keeping, which is fine by me), which are being planted now.

Now that it occurs to me, it takes at least $50,000 created wealth to trigger an orc raid in the first winter. I have no one with appraisal so I have no idea what our wealth might be. But it is quite possible we won't see any orcs till the following summer. They never raid in spring or autumn.

In other games with orcs, I've brought a proficient armorsmith and enough iron ore to make two full suits of iron armor in the first month. Sometimes I get orcs, sometimes I don't. When I tried this though, the two master or better melee dwarves I managed to train got slaughtered.

Before beginning this thread, I tested my waterfall + marksdwarf with wooden gear defence a bit. Twice it worked, once we fell and once the orcs didn't show. However, I had selected my own skills and all 7 dwarves had L2 marksdwarf.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2009, 04:14:25 pm »

Oh yeah, we got hide roots and blade weeds as well, but those are for dye and can't be eaten/drunk no matter what you do with them.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2009, 04:31:36 pm »

Seems like a nice story so far. Try holing up after the dwarven caravan leaves, because first winter orcs are always annoying. My only experience with the orc mod is
1. being slaughtered.
2. holing up.
3. making so much money I got immigrants before the caravan, and thus a 10-man military using dwarven steel gear.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Ross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2009, 04:01:57 pm »

Ok, this looks awesome so far. But seriously... lover? *scratches head* Eh, fine. Sabrina really wants that pick though, so have her make up with you and help out. If this fort is going to survive the winter we all have to get this together....

Hah! Cristes called leader!

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2009, 05:44:55 pm »

Try holing up after the dwarven caravan leaves, because first winter orcs are always annoying.

Holing up is against the rules  :). I'm confident in my new project though.

But seriously... lover? *scratches head*

Yeah, it feels weird writing it too, but it's in the game so talk to Toady.

Sabrina really wants that pick though, so have her make up with you and help out. If this fort is going to survive the winter we all have to get this together....

I'll see what I can do. Honestly, though, I did not plan any of the plot elements, nor do I have plans for the future. The whole going off hunting before I could issue orders, Christes being the leader and pick fiasco combined is what led to the "every dwarf against me" theme pretty much writing itself.

Thank you, everyone, for the compliments. They do mean a lot to me. I'll try to get another few months tomorrow as the remainder of my day will be catching up on housework which I'm seeking to postpone as much as possible.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2009, 11:32:35 pm »

hahaha

That was awesome.  I suspected I'd get leader :P

Do you think Christes should switch his steel request to a pick?  I have no problem with it, expecially given his skill with mining.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2009, 11:11:12 am »

Being 4th on the list, we probably won't get to you till after the 2nd raid, so you can wait and see if any immigrants bring some before deciding.

Ross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2009, 12:03:51 pm »

Unclaimed Migrant = Meat Shield

I just want to see what happens when the goblins hit the fort.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2009, 02:25:41 pm »

Project Orc Smasher/Flinger is meant to be a supplement to the planned defences rather than a replacement. Hence without the outer wall and at least partial construction of the planned labyrinth it will be useless. Except for Twiggy and Lucent, the entire fort works on the outer wall. As Twiggy finishes planting the latest crop of prickle berries, she joins the rest of us. It seems Lucent has elected to take her turn to go on break.

Once again, we encounter a kobold, and Christes is the only dwarf who’s in a position to do engage it. This time, he ignores the kobold. However, Christes had been assigned a wardog previously, in the hopes that it would comfort him in the event his mood turned sour once again. The dog gives chase, but once again the kobold is too fast and escapes.

This actually serves to improve morale, as it is a well known fact that a war dog could easily fell a kobold, should the kobold be caught. Our failure to kill the previous kobold suddenly seems much less severe. In addition, despite its tiny size every dwarf agrees that the dining room is very good. Lucent is the first to try out the communal bedroom. While she’s still upset about not having a private room, she grudgingly admits that its better than the dirt.

In the middle of our 5th month, the outer wall is completed, and construction of the labyrinth and its diversion into The Project has begun.

A third kobold has shown up, but this time Lucent is the one closest to it. With a modest amount of military skill, engaging enemies won’t cause her undue stress. She’s carrying an axe, and what’s more:

Although the kobold makes a good run for it, it can’t outrun Lucent, and the kobold is engaged. She unleashes a mighty roar, no doubt taking out all her rage and frustrations of the past months upon the kobold. I almost feel sorry for it.

We have our first military victory. It isn’t much, but we’ll take it. What’s more, we have a metal object to melt. It won’t provide a full bar, but it’s a start, and evidence that the Queen’s plan might work. And that GCS silk loincloth might fetch a good price. The dwarven merchants won’t accept anything that’s not metal, but the elves might like it. What’s more, after consulting with Twiggy, I’ve learned the elves are willing to accept skull totems as well. The skull from that elephant Goron killed is still sitting in the butcher’s shop, along with several warthog skulls.

I shudder to think that we’ve come to the point where elves are our most important trading partners. But there’s no point lamenting our situation, we must press on. They may bring different kinds of plant or drink we can use. It’ll be more horrible above ground crops, but at least it will be something different. We’re all getting sick of prickle berry wine. Christes and I have a brief conversation. After all these months he finally considers me a friend. With him likely to become our first mayor, he may be too busy to attend to trading duties, and he admits to having no trading skills anyway. With no one else having any trading skills either, Twiggy’s fondness for elves leads us to believe she would be the ideal candidate to take over as the outpost broker. When asked, she said she’d think about it. (Twiggy, let me know)

Other than that, construction continues without incident. It’s not as fast as I had hoped, but it’s coming along. The new plan necessitates having civilian dwarves around during raids, and I’ve had to order construction of walls around the common area to ensure that they won’t be scared off their tasks. Moods have improved substantially, with everyone being either happy or ecstatic.
Our progress on the first day of autumn:

(The right bridge is completed but the left one is still under construction in that pic)

Construction of a catwalk starting away from the parapet is taking place, but is much slower. The ramps placed to aid in construction of the bridges will be removed, and orcs will be forced to walk along a catwalk until they reach the bridges. The bridges will be continually raised and lowered. Orcs caught underneath will be smashed to bits, orcs caught on top will be flung away. I’m personally hoping for more flinging than snashing, as it will allow us to preserve their precious steel gear. However, as a matter of defence, this seems necessary. Once we get more dwarf power in the fort, we can use other means for our defence that will be sure not to destroy the steel.

A few days into autumn, the outpost liaison shows up and meets with Christes. Not having any metal to send back, we haven’t bothered building a depot yet, and the wagons accompanying the liaison wait at the edge of our territory. They’re mostly carrying meat, which we don’t need for the moment. There’s some cloth, which would be nice but we can do without for the time being, so they’ve nothing worthwhile anyway.

We place high-priority orders for wood, charcoal, lignite and bituminous coal, and lower priority orders for more granite and some cows, and the liaison is sent on his way. Irritatingly, Christes had to interrupt his carpentry for this meeting, but we’ve all heard nasty stories of liaisons going insane if they don’t get to keep their meetings, so I guess a work interruption is the lesser of evils.
Another kobold shows up, and again Lucent is close by. She pursues it. Amazingly, the kobold manages to injure Lucent. Not severely, but still.

(I’ve NEVER seen a kobold able to injure a dwarf before. Not even an unskilled, unarmed peasant that I draft to wrestle it to death)

Lucent takes her revenge though. She makes the kobold suffer.

We have another copper dagger to melt. Will this be enough for a full bar? No time to find out now, construction takes priority. (The way I’m handling the 80% export rule is the first 4 bars get exported, then whoever’s first in line, repeat. And separate lists for separate metals, so this won’t impact our steel wait at all). No GCS silk gear this time though. Another kobold attacks the caravan guards, but I couldn’t find a corpse afterwards so I guess it escaped.

On the 18th of Sandstone, with a month and a half until winter, our constructions are complete, and we can resume a little normalcy in our activities. Twiggy, who has officially become a farmer, and Lucent focus on improving our stock of prickle berry wine. As disgusting as it is, it’s better than nothing. Kith and Sabrina have taken up crossbows to shoot at the archery targets Sabrina and I constructed. She had finally gotten around to finishing the second one. I guess I shouldn’t be so hard on her about that, all the other dwarves have taken breaks at some point or another. Except for myself.  (I’m using the activate/deactivate trick on myself only to kill breaks. Normally I wouldn’t, but I’m really concerned about improving archery skill in dwarves and Kith and Sabrina go through bolts almost as fast as I can make them.) I continue to make wooden bolts, hoping that my skill will improve and we’ll be able to rely on much better quality bolts in the future. The others focus on getting as much wood inside the safety of our walls as possible. When winter comes, no one goes outside.

The thieves haven’t given up, and in the hurry to get construction done, we were careless with our gear.

We finally get around to storing our weapons. With Kith undergoing training, Christes is finally allowed to use the Carpenter’s Workshop, and constructs some bins.

Late in autumn, we get an incredible surprise. Migrants! (I haven’t seen migrants in the first autumn since 2D DF. Usually the caravan arrives much too late and is still there in winter. See post 2 for what we got) Only one of them looks to be at all useful, the one with a little armorsmithing skill (That’s the one I recommend for you, Sysice, but take a look and see if you like anyone else instead. The armorsmith is male, if that makes any difference). No miners who would have brought picks, I’m afraid. The remaining 5 are drafted into the military. No one really wants to look at them. 3 of them can use our silver axes, the rest won’t be given weapons, and they’ll essentially be treated as war dogs, rushing the orcs while the rest of us try to take them down with crossbows. But our chances for survival just went up significantly.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2009, 02:39:00 pm »

Unclaimed Migrant = Meat Shield

I just want to see what happens when the goblins hit the fort.

Ha! I had already written the update before reading that.

Makahlua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2009, 03:50:59 pm »

*splat!*

That's what they get for trying to steal from -MY- kitchen :P And trying to break my chopping hand, the jerks! I'm actually looking forward to an Elven visit, if only for the sake something other than prickle berries to make drinks from :X

Ross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2009, 08:23:15 pm »

Woo! Meat Shields!

...nrr.... no picks... Did they bring a pair of breeding dogs at least? War dogs would be helpful for discouraging thieves. Post them by the stockpiles and instant thief repellent.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2009, 08:49:41 pm »

We brought 4 dogs when we embarked, and we already have 4 puppies. We have no rope to tie them down though, and they do nothing but follow Twiggy around, except for one I assigned to Christes, which is male. You can't make rope out of leather, sadly. Elves typically bring piles of rope reed cloth though, so we wait.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8